Topic: Gibson or Taylor or Martin

Which would you choose and Why

what a long strange trip it's been

Re: Gibson or Taylor or Martin

Taylor.   I think they sound better.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Martin.  I like the tone.  I like the feel of the neck.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Tough for me to answer because I think they're totally different animals.  What style are you playing?  What type of venue?

The question isn't what you would chose for him, but what you would choose for you and why. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Fair enough - I guess the Taylor because I think the electronics and sound fit my style of playing the better than the Martin and I've really never been impressed with Gibby acoustics.

Easy,
One of each.
The Taylor for the electronics, the Gibson for the neck, and the Martin for the body.
Just kidding about all 3. Play all 3, opt for the one that feels best in your hands, fills your practical musical needs, and agrees with your budget.

I have a Gibson J-45 and personally think it's the greatest instrument ever made, but that's my modest opinion only. Decisions, decisions..........

Give everything but up.

And sometimes you have to try more than one of the same line as well.  The first Lowden I played I really wasn't impressed with - the second one I played I thought was one of the best guitars I've ever had in my hands.  I wanted to buy it on the spot.

Good question, but it's all personal preffrence. I'v been shoping the high end guitars and between the three, my personal choice is the Tayler hands down.(not to take anything away from the other two) But like everyone on chorie will tell you, go out to the guitar store and play them all. I took that advice myself when I started shoping, and I came across a guitar brand called breedlove. Now my problem is I always wanted a Tayler, but I think I like the breedlove better.(but thats my problem). This probably didn't help you out at all. But to enyone out there getting ready to purchase your first high end guitar, Take your time and play them all.

I know its not one of the options But a TAKAMINE (made in Japan) (not Chine or Korea or USA) Is my favorite. The cleanest sound PLUGGED or UNPLUGGED

Totally agree.  I think Tak makes a great guitar.  I had a EAN10C (cedar top) that I thought I would never get rid of (and I wouldn't have if something special hadn't come along and I needed to turn one over) but I'd buy it again.  On the higher end, the Tak 75 is an incredible guitar.  Definitely undervalued and a great buy.

PATRICKJACQUES: do you have your new guitar?
I think to be complete we have to add also, we speak here about "expensive acoustics", SANTA CRUZ and COLLINGS.
I have only experience with Gibsons and Martins.Acoustics, having a beautiful collection:

- MARTIN: D-1 (electro-acoustic) D-1 12 string, D-15, HD-28 a BACKPACKER and a D-45V (Straight from Gruhn, and comparing the US $ with our €, it is even worth to travel to the USA to buy guitars). About the D-45, she sounds unbelievable. Here in Belgium, being a quit good customer, without playing in a group, the music store asked me several times if I wanted to sell this beauty, receiving twice the price I paid it. Some, even big stores, don't have the top of the line guitars in stock. It is a real investment to try to sell a guitar like a D-45V, because, as I told, they are ALMOST NOT to find here (a D-35, or D-42, are easier to sell). So they liked to buy my D-45V, because they probably had a customer.

- GIBSON: Hummingbird, 1 early sixties, another end seventies, a Dove, and a SJ-200 Montana Gold. If you ask me which one is the best: probably the D-45V , the DOVE and SJ-200, producing a deep warm sound, and not too many bass.
I can only tell that the brand and type I play, depend on the mood, the song. Martin HD-28, is far one of the best guitars I own, without an amp, she plays easy twice as loud as the rest.
I compared, a Martin, with a taylor, and my conclusion was that they are quit similar in producing sound, the difference is not that big.
If I have money again, I would go for a TAYLOR, but which? or a SANTA CRUZ.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: MY TAYLOR, Martin GIBSON IS ON HOLIDAY IN SANTA CRUZ

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Santa Cruz, Collings, Lowden's - all great guitars but a step up in cash, no question.

I have a cheaper Martin and think it is the most comfortable to me.  I also have a Bredlove 12-String and think my next 6 string will be a Breedlove!

Hey there Phil, Yea I have my new guitar, a D-42 Martin. After decieding on Martin it took me a month to deciede on which model I wanted. I found that the D-45 had a bit too much bling-bling for me and I also felt that the D-42 had a sound that I preferred. As far as Santa Cruz and Collins go I am not familar with these guitars.

what a long strange trip it's been

If you can find them in your neck of the woods, do so, Patrick.  They're very nice guitars - well made, stunning fit and finish for the most part and great sound.  You'll be glad you made the effort.

Hi Weaser, buying a good acoustic guitar is always difficult. WHY: in most cases $$$$$$.
But I did some pretty good business on eBay, we have a very strong currency, the EURO, and a guitar with a price like 2000$ will cost me 1450€, and that guitar will have a price in an European Music Store of 2500€. Even after paying the import and VAT, it will cost me about 1700€.
In fact, at this time, I don't have the money to buy a guitar like Santa Cruz, ot Taylor. (I had a car crash in 09/2000, started to work again as a DOC, but had to stop, because I suffered too much, I was destroying my body, and I am not joking, they did surgery again in 09/2005, with the purpôse to being better, and I even was so convinced that it would be allright a few months later, and I was even accepted as MD on a cruise line, my ChILD DREAM. But I was the only one, all my friends told me that I was crazy, and they were right: I WAS BLIND. Today, it is even so difficult to accept the fact that work ends for me here. The only +thing is, I am overinsured, even the taxman told me that I was probably the best insured independant in Belgium, you need 3 people to earn what I earn. BUT give me all the money in the world: NOTHING WILL CHANGE, and I can ABSOLUTELY NOT ACCEPT that fact. I have it real difficult, depending on a lot of people, and the only thing that keeps me acting positive isn't my family, but MY PC, and CHORDIE, also my guitars, and the fact that I was never a sportif type, my passion are watching movies, and I do hope that nobody suffers like I do.) My BIGGEST passion, except watching movies, are my collection of guitars, and the fact that I can write about my feelings, also here on chordie. The time I started on Monday with 50$, and returned Friday with a lot more is over.
But HERE I MAKE FRIENDS, and I love chordie because they support you, they help you...

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: I WISH I WAS A CAR CRASH DUMMIE IN STEAD OF A VICTIM

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Sorry to hear about your accident, phil.  And I'm glad you've found friends on Chordie and life with your movies, guitars and pc.  We all need to find peace with what we're dealt in life.  Keep churning, man.

In my opinion all 3 are good guitars I think like phil said, its a matter of $$$ and of course the sound and feel you're looking for! I personally prefer the Gibson J-45 although I have always been partial to Gibsons I have a good friend who has a 1976 martin D45 herringbone which is beautiful and sounds great but shape of the neck wasn't as comfortable as the gibson. The taylor I've played in stores and find the sound is great but there is something about the fingerboard that didn't feel as comfortable. But thats just me, and I am more of a blues player than anything else and for acoustic blues it has to be the J45! But all that said, I wish you all the best with your new axe!

I've got a Taylor 814ce and will keep it forever. The action, sound and quality is superb.

Taylor, Martin, Gibby's, Ovations or Adamas', Lowdens...

No matter what the flavor (as long as you get what you're aiming for), it's all ice cream and, therefore, ALL good.