Topic: Napster, I tunes and MP3

Who remembers Napster in the days when Napster was a peer to peer service operating on the margins of copyright law ?

Well

I still use Napster. Its free,  and relatively hassle free and it legal

you can either buy tracks at 79p a track or subscribe

If you subscribe you pay £12 a month for unlimited streaming of any songs in a huge catalogue and you can make playlists etc (and Napster pays royalties to the author)

Its not an advert - Im a genuine fan 

what about other people

do you listen to i tunes, watch you tube or do you surf the net on file exchanges

or perhaps you just tune into the radio

pehaps you have a big collection of 45s

tell us

Re: Napster, I tunes and MP3

I actually have a big collection of 45s.

Really!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I have quite a few too - there aint nothing like vinyl

upyerkilt wrote:

I still buy cd's of bands I like. and the ones I am not sure of, or old ones I have already bought, or ones I want to experiment with I down load for free, could call it illegal I guess,

You could call it illegal because it is.

and on this subject...the arctic monkeys first gave their music for free on the internet, before getting signed. After they got signed the record comany brought out an album of songs they had already let people dowload for free. And guess who bought their album? yep!! the majority of people that dowloaded the free stuff.

The copyright holder has exclusive rights on their music.  If they want to give it away on the internet, great.  If they want to put it on a disk and charge for it, that's great too.  The point being, they have that right.  You not respecting their rights is wrong.

not at all jerome,
bands being greedy is wrong. most have enough money but want more. they dont need it.
Music should be shared and should be entertaining, not a way to screw money out of people as juch as they can.

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Will we're on the subject does anyone know were I could Download a Red Hot Chili peppers B-side called Quixoticelixer? I dont think it is still in production, it was a B side for the album Californication.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

Hey Ken,
What do you use to download.... I use Limewire and I don't really care for it either. I hate searching for Flamenco and getting " Geriatric German Nurses Spanking Spanish Men " bugs me to no end......

Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

jerome.oneil wrote:
upyerkilt wrote:

I still buy cd's of bands I like. and the ones I am not sure of, or old ones I have already bought, or ones I want to experiment with I down load for free, could call it illegal I guess,

and on this subject...the arctic monkeys first gave their music for free on the internet, before getting signed. After they got signed the record comany brought out an album of songs they had already let people dowload for free. And guess who bought their album? yep!! the majority of people that dowloaded the free stuff.

The copyright holder has exclusive rights on their music.  If they want to give it away on the internet, great.  If they want to put it on a disk and charge for it, that's great too.  The point being, they have that right.  You not respecting their rights is wrong.

Hey Jerome, are you a sagitarius?

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

9 (edited by gitaardocphil 2007-09-14 13:37:15)

I was able, in THE NAPSTER period, together with an other big site: AUDIOGALAXY, to build an incredible collection.
EVERY SONG (until July 2001) from
- BEE GEES
- PAUL MCCARTNEY
- FLEETWOOD MAC
- Peter GREEN
- THE POLICE
- ZZ-TOP
- DAVID BOWIE
- TEN YEARS AFTER and a few more. What rests now is that bad habit to download, sounds stupid, but I had a CD player in my car, and while driving my car to go to sick people, I used to listen 6 Albums in 4-5 days. Now: It keeps me busy, and I stash them all.
It is weird, I want to have these songs, or groups, and I just listen when doing long distances, like visiting my sister in BERLIN.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

upyerkilt wrote:

not at all jerome,
bands being greedy is wrong. most have enough money but want more. they dont need it.
Music should be shared and should be entertaining, not a way to screw money out of people as juch as they can.

Bands making money off of the product they produce is eminently right.    Whether you think they have enough, or they need it, is entirely inconsequential.

If you think music should be shared, feel free to write all the music you like and share it.  That in no way give you right or cause to take their work for your own ends without meeting their requirements  as the author or copyright holder of the work.   If they want you to pay $12 for a CD, or $.99 for a song off of iTunes, then that is what you should do.

mhebert wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:
upyerkilt wrote:

Hey Jerome, are you a sagitarius?

No.  I'm an engineer and I make my living because of intellectual property rights protections.

:LOL:

aye right, then let us carry on being humans.

I will carry on thank you, just you carry on doing your thing and I will carry on with my thing.
Mhebert,
I will e mail you and let you know, just so people that work on  "intellectual property rights protections"  lol  dont think I am advertising it freely.   lol

Ken

You're stealing, no matter how super secret you keep it.

is there no smilies here t oindicate very big YAWNING lol

Jerome, live and let live and stop going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

there are more people on the internet that download for free than people that pay, so looks like the majority of the world are all wrong.

I will not answer back on this as I have indicated at the top I am tired of yawning at this worhtless insignificant discussion on whether it is right or wrong.

Happy strumming

Ken

Jerome, you are 100% correct. It is not because they earned BILLIONS, that we have the right to do this. But I paid a one time "fee", 2 years ago, and I have WINMX (far the most complete site) and because they were changing winmx, I got LILMEWIRE as bonus.
But the real "thieves" are record companies and managers.
If I should finish my songs, like the microbe song, and others, I would first bring them in, to avoid other people using my songs, and put them on "myspace" and "youtube" giving people the opportunity to listen 1 minute, and than asking maybe 50 cent (no not the rapper) to download a song I wrote. Some guys made already NAME, FAME and $$$$ doing this. The internet is incredible. You write something, you mail something and what I wrote comes 1 second later in your mailbox.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: DON'T ACT LONGER AS A STUDENT? BY DOING PIPI IN A MAILBOX

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]