Topic: modern day songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Jyt75NcbI
in a previous post Sir Phill commented on modern day songs not being as good as yesteryear.
normally i would agree with this,BUT i have learned there are lots of recent songs writers that
are right up there.I have also learned that often what we dont like is not the song.It is the style
arrangement and production.I have included this vid of Post Modern Jukebox i could have
chosen Kiss or Radiohead or Myley Cyris or many others.
A kiss song done in ragtime  fleetwood Mac in cool jazz  etc
i look forward to your comments 

The King Of Audio Torture

Re: modern day songs

Brian,
I agree with you that there many excellent writers and songs out there today.
The performance you provided us was an excellent rendition of the song " The Chain", however I believe the context in which songs are written  belong in that context. No one except the writer knows exactly how the song should sound or  how it should feel, albeit 100 people could hear a song and not one of them feel the same way.
In contrast to the jazzy rendition, FM put so much energy into that song, and when you watch the facial expressions of Lindsday Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, and the others you can feel the anguish and heartpain  of the song much better in my humble opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBYHwH1Vb-c

Thanks for sharing

Jim

P.S.  When I see and hear modern bands using so much pre-programmed mucic and synthetic music - it just loses me sad     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

3 (edited by Peatle Jville 2024-02-29 05:10:00)

That is the good thing about songs is they can be covered by doing them in ways different from the original.  Songs covered by Joe Cocker who made "With A Little Help From My Friends" and other songs into something uniquely special though not always good as the original. Another example I can think of is the Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain clever take on The Who song "Tommy". Another example the disgraced Rolf Harris version of "Stairway To Heaven "

ah yeah Rolf the king of brilliant covers
does a great smoke on the water too.     

The King Of Audio Torture

Is he the same Rolf Harris that was convicted as a pedophile sex offender ?     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2024-03-01 07:42:37)

Yes Jim that is the same Rolf Harris.

Interesting jazz version of F.M The Chain.  I enjoyed it but still prefer F.M`s original.     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

To add to Jim's comment about different styles of the same song and Pete's and Brian's advocating of many styles make light listening, we always seem to prefer the first version we hear unless another version knocks us off our feet. As I mentioned in another post, I believe there are some composers as good as any that have gone before. The trouble is the producers take an original and possibly great song and destroy it by adding superfluous effects and needless vocal harmonies that are produced by studio chicanery.  As a for instance listen to singers on "talent show" performances then how their records have been murdered by the production process. I think I've preached enough. Amen     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Piri, I’m with you on modern recording tech ruining good songs. The way they record vocals and drums today in most instances today doesn’t appeal to my ears. Things like autotune are overdone in most recording also drum machines and synthesized bass and vocals.