1 (edited by Peatle Jville 2024-04-07 10:22:53)

Topic: Carpark Money

In the hope of getting people other than spammers.  I will post this poem.  Not sure who would read my stuff on here but if you are a genuine person follower of chordie give some feedback or make a post of your own. In my opinion this site is all about for the people no hierarchy just anyone who wants to give it a go. It is all about dipping your toe in the water nothing to lose nothing to gain.

Carpark money 
I saw a man in a carpark
He asked me for money
I gave him 15 dollars though I didn’t know his name
Just needed a little petrol to  get him and his family  home
Money down the drain
His children and wife sitting in a car he pointed to
He said he ran out money and lost his credit card
I said don’t worry no pain
Pass it forward that’s okay
Saw him later he was doing the same
People all giving him money
I realized I have been conned
It was only fifteen dollars
Money down the drain
Though its completely wrong
I guess that ’is his game
And maybe I’m insane
After all my years on this planet
Scammers still know my name
Thank God
It is only a price of a beer
There are worse things
I have got wrong in my years 
There is always a scammer
Smarter people than I am
Scammers are around
At all levels in all lands
Corporates and Governments
It is everywhere and somehow out of hand.

Re: Carpark Money

Wow, so powerful Pedr. $15 I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH A PINT OF FALLING DOWN LIQUID IS IN KIWILAND but it seems a lot to me. Sorry about the caps I should look at what I'm typing!

I think the scammers are everywhere and they try to Rob you while they smile in your face. The infernalnet is like a town hall clock with many faces. One face is a great thing like Chordie and the second is an opertunity for rogues and scammers. So I'm guessing your poem is a warning to us all to be careful and aware of these faceless and heartless thieves. We'll done Pedr     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Peatle,

I get so upset when I see the so called homeless people with their signs - "can you spare a buck", "Veteran - need $ for Hospital bills",   etc, etc, etc... lots of pity signs.

Then You look closer and see they are on their I-phone or are wearing  a nice watch, or $200 sneakers 

I took a picture of the guy that always sits outside of our local mall the other day...... in the back ground of the picture, were four businesses all with help wanted signs.

I pulled up - he came over for a handout - I rolled down the window and asked him if he wanted a couple hundred bucks-  he said yeah - I then pointed at the signs and said go apply for a job there and pointed at the signs - slowly pulled away dropping a $1 bill out the window.

I suppose he still won bc he got my $1, smile

They are all over.  I read once that if a beggar was on a city street, and and the flow of human traffic was 200 people an hour and if just 1 in 10 people gave him $5 - an 8 hour day would net them - tax free - $800 !  x 5 days a week  = 4,000  x 52 weeks = $208,000   (tax free)

Peatle - I know that are many that truly need help - but there are so many that are looking for ........ well, as P.T. Barnum said  " There's a sucker born every minute" !

Thanks for sharing your poem.

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Pete
another gem from your pen.     

The King Of Audio Torture

5 (edited by Peatle Jville 2024-04-08 04:40:19)

Cheers Piri and Jim plus Brian, a pint of beer has risen a lot here in the last few years as the government raises its excise tax on alcohol. Pints vary in price from $7 to about $14 dollars depending on where and what you drink. At my local club for a pint what you  pay $7 dollars for will cost you around $10 at our local pubs in our town.  In the main city prices vary depending on which bar you go to.  A pub I go to  sometimes to have lunch at in the city food prices have skyrocketed from last year. Last year $10 to $25 for a basic pub grub this year.  Back to the poem we very rarely use to see street beggars in this part of the world but now they are everywhere. Many are on drugs and don’t want to work or contribute. Also like the rest of the world we do have a housing and cost of living crises creating the working poor.
These people  do it hard but keep on going, doing it tough but not begging. One friend of mine is getting ahead by living of grid in a caravan and growing his own veg and keeping chickens while him and his wife hold down full time jobs. Some  people I know who have full time jobs are living in camper  vans they have fitted out themselves  to save on rent to get ahead. A young couple I know are paying $800 a week to rent a house in my area when only two years ago they were paying $600 a week for rent.  Energy and food bills have skyrocketed for some. The guy that I gave $15 to is a professional beggar and caught me in a weak moment. That didn’t really hurt me but also in the same week I saw a true story on TV of  “Mr Gates Verses The Post Office” which got me thinking about government and corporates who for want of a better word are destroying lives and get away with it. So that in a nutshell  is where my poem comes from. The other reason why I put up two poems this week was to see if I could prompt people to comment by talking about frustrations with the human condition that affect us all. My gripe is not with the poor but the bludgers and scammers. I am not against giving a hand up but against giving hand outs. if you don’t know about “Mr Bates vs The Post Office” please check it out on Tv or the internet.. Alan Bates was one of 900 UK subpostmasters wrongly accused of theft by the British postal service in the early 2000s. In an attempt to cover up the failings of faulty accounting software, British post office management "dug themselves into a deeper and deeper hole" with false accusations. Ruining many lives innocent people put in jail and so on. The British post office in real life became like the Mafia . Here endeth my rant and thank you for reading this.     BTW a NZ  dollar  is equivalent very roughly to 50pence Uk or 60cents USA. So $6 USA buys $10 NZ and 50 pence UK buys $1 NZ.

As an update Pedr,  while these postmasters and postmistress were
Being persecuted and prosecuted the shareholders and top brass were still picking up millions in bonuses! And probably patting each other on the back. Same as when some banks were being bailled out by the government the bosses were also picking up millions in bonuses...is that fair? So your post has raised a discussion on both sides of a coin, the ultra rich and ultra poor both out to rob the hard working populace.     

Cheers Piri, it is definitely not fair what has happened in the UK. “Maybe it is only me,” is an illusion caused by people putting too much faith in computer technology. I can’t help but think by becoming so dependent on electronic and AI tech it is inevitable the tech could cause a major crash and people won't know how to cope with it. We are basically being socially engineered by the powers to be. Everything is going online and people are being taken out of the system. Humanity is being replaced by machines.
Here in NZ we had dodgy things happen by Merchant bankers when our government sold our taxpayer assets with deals that didn’t reflect the asset value. Most of it related to insider trading relating to the company advising the Government. A New Zealand politician who was ostracized by the Government at the time finally got enough public support to make the government have an enquiry.
The Merchant Bankers behind those sales were later on investigated by the Security Commission of NZ. This Commission settled out of court for NZD$20million without admission of liability by the Merchant Bank. The settlement payment was only a little over half the amount claimed by the Commission, including interests and costs. It was less than 1/5 of the Commission’s maximum claim at the time it commenced proceedings.
The same Merchant Bankers were also the prime focus of the "Winebox Inquiry" here which dealt with, among other things, tax-avoidance arrangements in the Cook Islands. The publicity surrounding the inquiry generated considerable public ill-feeling towards them. That company is now based in Geneva Switzerland. As you rightly pointed out the rich and powerful get the get of jail card where as the poor don’t. It is a worldwide phenomenon bankers being bailed out by the government the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. Monsanto is a case in point of a big company ruining people lives. Check out the movie Percy verses Goliath. The shorts for it are on YouTube. Corporates are taking over the small person and everyday people are getting crushed more and more. The cashless society is not going to do us any favours.     

I was outraged when I read the story about the UK Postmasters, for anyone that missed it, this was the first article that came to me via Google:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56718036

But the world is getting a smaller, tighter, more cynical place ... and particularly over the last few years - I always use Covid as a marker, but not the cause.

I think the world started going a bit crazy when the "Internet 2.0" was born, which was the time when the internet went from "informational" to "transactional" - this was a transition caused by all the businesses wanting to lower their costs (example, 10 people in call center can be replaced by two people responding to emails as they come through, during normal office hours to reduce overtime). All this was sold to regular people as "for your convenience", but it was actually just a cost saving exercise for big business. And every sector of that business was asked to "cut costs".

I see moving to a cashless society as a bad thing.

Cheers

Richard     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Right on the ball again Richard. A bank manager actually told me that that was the government ambition. For the likes of jobbing musicians for instance making sure the cretins in stripey  trousers get their taxes. No more bartering etc. The infernal net is a two edged sword with the advantage firmly on the side of the elite billionaires. VIVA LA REVOLUTION.  I don't actually mean that     

10 (edited by easybeat 2024-04-10 21:19:17)

Interesting comments guys.
Im still a cash person(for day to day smaller purchases)
when a young person behind the counter gives me funny look when i hand over cash.
i always say, when the power goes out,you`ll be ********** ill still have cash in my pocket.
on the other subject re internet etc,i have given up on news ages ago there is too much bias and opinion.
so now i go to specific sites that just report news.
eg business/cricket/farming/real estate/music /tennis
i realised  my opinion wont change anything.but i want to be informed on what interests me.
so now i dont get hit up about stuff i cant control.

The King Of Audio Torture

This is the "go to" for media bias (from https://www.adfontesmedia.com/):

https://www.poynter.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Media-Bias-Chart-6.0_Low_Res_Licensed.jpg

I like that one, as it's more legible, but this is the newest version:

https://adfontesmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Media-Bias-Chart-12.0_Jan-2024-Unlicensed-Social-2048x1620.jpg

Cheers

Richard     

Cheers everybody I have enjoyed all your knowledgeable insights. The world is now being taken over by clickbait computer algorithms that send you content based on your posts.. I feel like many are being deceived and manipulated by social engineering or the psychological manipulation of the masses through the power of tech. Every day I see people out and about mesmerized by their cell phones instead of what is going on around them.
Studies have started to show a causal link between teen social media use and reduced well-being or mood disorders, chiefly depression and anxiety. I guess social media is another form of addiction and for some their way of seeking validation. Social media and the way news is delivered online is vastly different than the landscape of 20 years ago. The internet is now optimized for maximum addiction.
As Richard pointed out when the internet went from "informational" to "transactional" it changed things by cutting humans out. In my neighborhood many now do most their shopping online even their supermarket food and supply shop. I like to see what I'm getting before I buy mostly I use cash for small transactions. I miss things like butcher shops now it is all one stop shopping.     

Peatle Jville wrote:

Studies have started to show a causal link between teen social media use and reduced well-being or mood disorders, chiefly depression and anxiety. I guess social media is another form of addiction and for some their way of seeking validation.

I'm glad the kids have followed my example of being on social media for a limited time (usually looking at guitars!) .. the teenager would rather make music, and by the time the 9yo gets there, I think it would have petered into the next phase (whatever that might be!).

Cheers

Richard     

One of the best things that has happened here for kids in New Zealand is a regulations that require all schools to ensure students do not use or access a phone while they are attending school, including during lunch time and breaks. This includes students who are on a school course or visit outside the school grounds.
The feedback I have had from the parents also teachers and the kids has been mostly positive. There was a bit of push back at first but mostly it is  having a good effect. I live  near two schools and after many years of quiet during lunch time the sound of excited kids coming from the school is good to hear.. Before the only noise we heard was when the kids were doing Hakas or supporting their sports teams with yells and songs of encouragement on sports days. When they walk past my house now they are not looking at their smartphones. The irony of all this is here I am using a computer to complain about computers. Today at lunch me and my sister will be on a smartphone talking to our sister in Canada.  Later on my friend and I will be over a beer catching up on facetime with a friend who is currently travelling in another country and has been away for two years. Not to mention me right now on a computer posting on chordie with Maree saying get of that computer we have got things to do. Its stopped raining time for me to go.     

Peatle, sorry to hear you got scammed, they are so clever these days with the tactics they use.  I mostly ignore them these days, with the odd exception, if I feel led to help them out.   An example is one time I was up Cuba Street and I saw a lady sitting and begging with her sign wanting money as she sat there.  She looked pretty messed up and in need of help.  She was sitting outside a diary/small grocery type shop.  So, I asked her if she was hungry to which she replied yes.  So, I said I am not going to give you money but if you come with me into that grocers shop you pick some food and a drink to fill your tummy up with.  So, she followed me into the store, and I let her pick whatever she wanted, which at first, she didn't pick that much (I think she was being polite).  So, I made sure she got more food, once she realized I didn`t mind.  She picked some more items of food and drink, I paid for it and walked out with her to her spot outside.  She was very grateful, and I knew she was going to have something to eat.  I knew if I had given her money, it probably wouldn't have gone on food but other stuff.     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Cheers Jan thank you for reading and commenting. I think what is happening with many of the rough sleepers is they are there due to drug addictions.  A friend of mine who works for the Sallies tells me many would rather use their dole money for drugs rather than accommodation.  Hustlers are everywhere in society but it seems the street ones are getting  more craftier with their scams.  I know phone scams are big business in some countries. Tech makes it easy for them to steal peoples money. Then we have also the hackers some of them working for corrupt governments.