Topic: changing your guitar strings

This is maybe an idiot question, but I think that I am not alone with this question.
I know that a lot of things are important when playing guitar, I think that the most important factor is sweating, speeding up the process to have bad strings. Talking about strings I use almost always light, exceptional medium strings, because my style, is more strumming, hard enough to play loud on acoustic guitars, and I am surprised everyday, when I play on a MARTIN that the sound can be heard 100 yards from where I play, matter of speaking. It is also important if you play an aggressive style.
BUT WHEN AND HOW CAN YOU SEE OR DECIDE TO CHANGE GUITAR STRINGS.
I know people who are playing 1 hour a day, and changing their strings every week.
Thanks

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: changing your guitar strings

I change mine when they are visibly worn.
Sometimes I change them if I can't get the guitar to intonate correctly. That is a sign of dead strings.
Also, I change the strings everytime I get a new guitar.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

When my guitar is in tune, but I just don't like the way it sound, it's just not right...I change my strings--about every 2-3 weeks for me. I love the DR 11's.  Has anyone tried the DR Zebra's?

4 (edited by ChewyStu 2007-07-27 07:11:48)

I think you can tell - the strings lose their tone, they become dull and lifeless.  When I was playing very regularly and in a practise band, I changed mine once a month, which to be honest was probably leaving it a bit too long.  Problem is a set of strings is around £5.00, so I would imagine a lot of people cannot afford to change them too regularly anyway.

I would think changing them weekly is too often - it can take a day or two for new ones to bed in anyway...that means you only get 4-5 days use out of them!

'Keep on rockin' in the free world!!'

Detman101 wrote:

I change mine when they are visibly worn.
Sometimes I change them if I can't get the guitar to intonate correctly. That is a sign of dead strings.
Also, I change the strings everytime I get a new guitar.

Dm

If your guitar does not intonate correctly it is not the strings but your intonation. A dead string is flat or sounds dull even when tuned. To intonate your guitar tune each string using an electronic tuner, low E first then hit an harmonic on the 12th fret if it reads in tune on your tuner then that string is intonated if not turn the screw on the bridge until it reaches tune. When it is in tune at the harmonic 12th fret then proceed with the other five strings.

Bootlegger.

ChewyStu wrote:

I think you can tell - the strings lose their tone, they become dull and lifeless.  When I was playing very regularly and in a practise band, I changed mine once a month, which to be honest was probably leaving it a bit too long.  Problem is a set of strings is around £5.00, so I would imagine a lot of people cannot afford to change them too regularly anyway.

I would think changing them weekly is too often - it can take a day or two for new ones to bed in anyway...that means you only get 4-5 days use out of them!

The only time that you would need to change your strings is if you were giging a couple times a week playing at lease four hours a night. Then you notice the change in the tone of your strings and the grime of your sweat. But I agree with your choice of strings I like Dr's.

Bootlegger.

I agree with Bootlegger about the intonation and the strings, but dead/old strings can be confusing...at least with some.  Personally, I change my strings out when they sound flat.  Weird as it is, I prefer older, worn-in strings to new strings.  Not that new strings are bad, but I like the tone I get from older strings.  This is only to some extent though.  When they get too old, they become flat and don't really sound "in tune".  Depends on your playing and your ear.  Change them when they don't seem to tune up right and they sound kinda dead (different compared to week-old strings that you have stretched and broken in good) or when they are nasty or corroded and will not clean good.  With playing and practice, you will develop your own method for changing strings and you will know when to do it.  It's all part of the journey.  Rock on!

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile

As long as were talking about strings, I was wondering if there is any difference to the strings of an ordinary electric guitar and a semi-acoustic one? I just walsed right in to the store and picked up strings for an electric guitar, and when i tried them on my semi-acoustic, it just didn't sound right. is it just another case of tonedeafness or is there something to it?

gracias

Being kicked in the groin is a pleasant surprise

not to change the topic but i  started playing guitar maybe a month ago.i dont have lessons i just get tabs from the internet(chordie of course)and i learn different chords with my guitar tuner which has a built in chord finder.i have an old valencia acoustic guitar that was given to me from a friend(who recieved it from a friend of thiers) who didnt use it much. the bridge bone(or saddle watever u wanna call it) has been replaced by a cable tie. would this cause a buzzing sound from the strings our would it be just the old strings doing that(or both).I am going to buy a new guitar any way but i would just like to know. also when i tune the strings to the right notes they are kina loose(my school has some acoustic guitars on which the strings are tighter and do not buzz) i really wanna know this as i dont know much about guitars yet and im hoping to build up my knowledge

Natho,

Welcome to Chordie.  That is a change in topic, and a good question.  You should start a new thread with a descriptive title so that people who can help you will see the question.

Doc,

Change them when you want.  If you are wondering whether they should be changed, they probably should.  There's no "when" to change them.  That's as personal as the style of playing you do.  I have a buddy who still has the original set of strings on his 20 year old guitar.  They sound dead, but he doesn't care.  He just likes playing it.  I have another friend who sweats a lot, has oily skin, and gigs regularly.  He can go through a set of strings in a couple of hours and has switched over to nano coated elixers to get at least a couple days from them. 

Up to you.  Do what you think it right. 

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

thanx 4 the help ill make a new thread right away

I just had my epi dove set up buy a local luthier. Had a bone saddle and some nut work done. he compensated the saddle right away.  i was running martin sp's and changing them about once a month.  a friend of mine has been using elixr nano-webs.  i had heard about coated strings for awhile but their a little pricey.  o.k. so i'm cheap!  i put them on anyway and although they don't sound as "bright" as standard wound,  they don't "flatten" out either.  two months and they sound as good as the day i put them on.   they also make a poly-web but i got a bunch of salesman double speak when he explained the difference.  i'll stick with the nano.  they were pioneered by the gore company of gore-tex fame.  they don't seem to absorb the grime and sweat like a wound.  try 'em out.

rndthefire

Zurf, my chordian friend, sorry for this response, being a little bit late. I was not feeling well, (still too much pain, and it was a little bit difficult, just because I was to much focused on my car crash, still having it hard to accept, with the decision to stop practising, a decision made at the Hoover Dam). I found strings, Martins, at least 5-10 years old, but they still look nice, and I think I will use then on my ONLY electro-acoustic guitar, a Martin D-1 acoustic, but with a preamp.
This is again a reason why I love chordie: you ask something, and you get an answer. You can make a topic, like a list of musicians, where no answer is needed, but where additional information is welcome.
I think I neglect too much, the fact that strings need to be changed. Even if your, acoustic guitar, because you can really hear everything, compared to an electric chased through an 130W amp with effects.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]