Topic: playing to the cows

I just remembered this after reading Dado's post in " local band" "let hear about your gigs" where he was talking about having a dog not appreciating his music lol

And although looking at the subject heading for this thread it has nothing to do with women being chained to the sink lol

When I was camping about 10 years ago, lovely day, white clouds ( not the normal grey/black we are used to in scotland) with the sun somewhere up there making it quite bright, I was sitting on the bonnet of my car strumming a few chords. I was not playing anything in particular if anything at all. I might have been sitting just making a noise, i really canny remember now.
A herd of cows started to pass, or most passed but the younger cows, not quite calves but a bit younger than the bigger ones stopped and began to look at me. There was a bout 4 or 5 of them listening to me.
At this point I began to play a song, Knocking on heavens door I think it was. They began to walk toward me as I played while the rest of the heard moved on. When I stopped they young cows stopped coming towards me and started to face the rest of the herd. I began to play and they started coming forward again.
I done this three or four times, stopping and watch them move on then play and watch them come toward me.
I stopped when I thought they were getting too close. Not that I am scared of them but thought at the time, how close will they actually get if I keep playing? would they have came face to face? would they have kept a certain distance? I didnt really want to find out since I would have no idea what to do if they came face to face, especially if they started to drop their guts out on my camping area.

So, next time yer in a filed whether yer camping or not and there are cows in it, try playing your guitar, especially if there are young calves in, see if they take an interest.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Re: playing to the cows

UYK.
Hello!Was this Magic MushieTime? Or to much wacky backy? lol.

My 2 dogs always come towards me when i lift my Guitar.  Sit looking for a few mins and then leg it.  One makes straight for the comfort of her bed. The other
one gets his lead? Do you think they trying to tell me something?

Ps. When your ready you can peel the spuds and prepare the veg for dinner.

When there done. Will you make this Old Doll a "Berry Smoothie," Ive tried Jump leads? didnt work! God i had such a good  time last night!
Then take the dogs for there walk!
Sort the washing.
Air the beds.
while there airing, clean out the shower basin.replace towels.
now make the beds.
empty dishwasher.
Check what work ive on for this week?
Do Flower order for the Dutch Market.
Check the garden.
Deadhead any flower heads thats needed.
Answer the phone.
Ask My Son How are things with him?
Then spend at least 30 minutes listening and talking  to him.
His weekly 10 shirts need ironing. now.
Oh! Heres visitors! Put on the kettle UYK.
Now entertain them for as long as they decide to stay.
feed the dogs.
refill the bird feeders.
Etc Etc Etc.
Now why would any man want to be a Woman?
Ok. You can take a break now! lol.
Have a real happy relaxing day!
Chilled out Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

3 (edited by Zurf 2007-09-16 13:09:29)

This current effort to learn guitar in which I am meeting with some moderate success is not my first one. 

Many years ago, while I was away at my sophomore year of college, my parents moved from the town where I had grown up in Pennsylvania to Michigan.  A difference of about 500 miles to the Northwest.  There were no mountains, only one river (but no canoes), and worst of all no friends when I went home that summer.  Well, their house was beautiful with a wonderful sunny sitting/family room looking out onto a well decorated garden.  I enjoyed sitting in that room and attempting to learn guitar.  Now, in that garden lived a groundhog.  My father had tried everything to rid the garden of that groundhog - traps, poison, even firearms - all to no avail.  So my Mom named the groundhog Penny and that was that.  Penny had her run of the garden.   

When I practiced the guitar that summer, Penny would come to the stoop, stand up and lean against the screen watching and listening to me play.  But when I would strike a wrong chord, Penny would run for cover.  The first ever rodent music critic I believe. 

Later, when I was in a band playing bass, I relayed that story and we named the band "Penny's Troubadours", with our goal merely to be good enough not to scare a groundhog.  We never did get any gigs, but I think we were successful in not scaring vermin.   

To this day, I have a framed photo of Penny nearby when I practice. 

Perhaps I should move up in biomagnitude and set my sites on acting the siren to cows (but I'm thinking beautiful Irish women would be better, eh, Old Doll?). 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

pmsl, old doll, it is sunday, a day of rest, even for women, well it is if they have finished all their duties from yesterday,lol

And people say a woman's work is never done. Not true, they get the guys to doit properly for them lmao,

I just get this feeling I deserve a slap smile  hmm, yes please!!

why would a guy want to be a woman? a few reasons

1. so they dont get nagged at.
2. So they have last say.
3. so they have a pair of breasts to play with whenever they want.
4. So they can sit down and do a pee without thinking I should be standing for this
5. So they have an excuse to blow £100 and show nothing for it and say it was spent on the       hairdo

Thats just 5 from the top of my head ,lol.

Old Doll, you sit down and put yer feet up and enjoy the day.
Get yer boy to run around after you or even better if ye have a daughter get her to do it and let yer boy rest ,lol

I am going to go record a woman's place now.lol

Ken

great wee story there Zurf.

Must be something with music and animals. It would be good to live on a farm to test the guitar out on all animals in it.

Ken

p.s. I thought the name groundhog was just made up for that film. We get hedgehogs but that is it.
I am thinking a groundhog might be a mole or like a mole?

Ken

HI Zurf,

Lovely Story. Any time i see the word river, i always wonder was it any good for Fly Fishing on? Well was it? I love Fly Fishing!

To answer your Question! The visual magnitude of Irish Woman would be awsome!

UYK!
I never was blessed with daughters! Somehow i cannot help thinking if i had,
I could possibly have ended up wit a Son-in -Law called UYK!.
Janey Mac! That thought just brought me out in a cold sweat! lol.
End of slagging... Back to what we are here for. Music, Ahem!Songwriting!

Come on now wheres this famous song! No Pressure now Ken...

Rested Old Doll.

hi Lena pal, lol

I never meant for any slagging, it was all fun, well it was here anyway. I was having a good laughreading your posts to me and having a good laugh replying to you. I am thinking you were taking it all as a joke too, or i hope so, yeah ,ye were. and now I am expecting you to reply back saying you were serious, lol, but now you wont because I have spolied that for you by predicting what you were thinking, so now you will tell me you were not thinking that so I look inferior ,lmao,
ok, stop, this could go on for a while.

I have just spent the past 3 hours recording the song and making a video for it.
In the middle where the break is I forgot to show a picture of the mandolin along with the guitar, uke and kazoo, but too late now!!
Also, I got the words wrong in my own song at the begining but after four attempt of trying to put the vocals down over the guitar and mandolin I thought " good enough", I sang " hey mum where you doing" instead of  "what you doing".

ah well, hope ye all enjopy it and take it as the joke it is intended to be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3CVyekdr9A

All the best Ken
xxxx

A groundhog:  http://www.avawine.com/uploaded_images/ … 789407.gif

When I think of moles, I think of little burrowing rodents about the size of a big man's thumb.  Groundhogs are more the size of a small, fat dog. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Hi,
Ive seen Gofers in the zoo, which are hilarious to watch! are these the same
type of creatures?

Old Doll.

Hey UYK,

Any Black eyes yet? or were you inundated for Autographs? by your male friends!. Ive been practising this one for "My Sons house Warmer" the W/E.

Old Doll.

Hmmmm, if I walk to the end of my backyard and turn left I have cows about 400 meters away and I have a groundhog living under my shed...... gotta try the guitar on them. As for my pets, my cats tend to want to sleep in my guitar case if I leave it open, my dogs will bump my guitar while I'm playing but I do know that they just want me to focus my attention on them instead of the guitar. Now my rabbit just loves the music and always comes running up to me when I play only I have to watch that the little sucker doesn't nibble on the wood!
Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Old Doll wrote:

Hey UYK,

Any Black eyes yet? or were you inundated for Autographs? by your male friends!. Ive been practising this one for "My Sons house Warmer" the W/E.

Old Doll.

lol, No , No queues for autographs yet. I could e mail people it I spoose if I get a scanner and scan my X on it,lol.

No black eyes either. I showed my wife the video but she thought it was boring after watching my " big old goofy world" video. She says same as before, nothing new, blah blah blah, But she did say it was catchy wee tune even though the lyrics were not to her liking. When I told her it was not about someone wanting their mum to run around after them but the way kids take people for granted, she did not believe me as she knows my mum ran around after me,lol, even though I hated it and still hate it when she tries to even wash the dishes in my own house. I would rather my wife done that,lol

Ken

mhebert wrote:

my rabbit just loves the music and always comes running up to me when I play only I have to watch that the little sucker doesn't nibble on the wood!
Michel

it must be something to do with music and animals.
My mate said a few years ago that his goldfish acted different when music was getting played.

Someone in a lab must have done studies with music and animals.
I dont know why I am getting so interested in this but if I remember and get a chance I am going to look this up.

Ken

My dog likes to come around and sleep near me when I play instead of sleeping in another room.  That's as much as I can say about that.  When I played trumpet, the dogs we had around then would either run away and bury their heads under something or sit close by and watch as if in a trance. 

I think most people took the run away position when I played trumpet. 

- Zurf

upyerkilt wrote:

I just remembered this after reading Dado's post in " local band" "let hear about your gigs" where he was talking about having a dog not appreciating his music lol

And although looking at the subject heading for this thread it has nothing to do with women being chained to the sink lol

When I was camping about 10 years ago, lovely day, white clouds ( not the normal grey/black we are used to in scotland) with the sun somewhere up there making it quite bright, I was sitting on the bonnet of my car strumming a few chords. I was not playing anything in particular if anything at all. I might have been sitting just making a noise, i really canny remember now.
A herd of cows started to pass, or most passed but the younger cows, not quite calves but a bit younger than the bigger ones stopped and began to look at me. There was a bout 4 or 5 of them listening to me.
At this point I began to play a song, Knocking on heavens door I think it was. They began to walk toward me as I played while the rest of the heard moved on. When I stopped they young cows stopped coming towards me and started to face the rest of the herd. I began to play and they started coming forward again.
I done this three or four times, stopping and watch them move on then play and watch them come toward me.
I stopped when I thought they were getting too close. Not that I am scared of them but thought at the time, how close will they actually get if I keep playing? would they have came face to face? would they have kept a certain distance? I didnt really want to find out since I would have no idea what to do if they came face to face, especially if they started to drop their guts out on my camping area.

So, next time yer in a filed whether yer camping or not and there are cows in it, try playing your guitar, especially if there are young calves in, see if they take an interest.

Ken

Ken,
Everyone knows cows love mooooooooo-sic.
Sorry in advance,
Toney

Give everything but up.

lol lol

so thats why they make that moooo sound? they just havent got the ability in their vocal cords to get the sic out after the mooo, and people think they are just noisy animals, what they really are asking for when they moo is moosic, I think yer right lol

( no appologies) lol

Ken