1 (edited by gitaardocphil 2007-09-19 10:21:00)

Topic: no beatles, no stones BUT SRV versus JIMI HENDRIX

For some people: SRV is not a car, but STEVIE RAY VAUGHN: a GUITAR PHENOMENON from TEXAS.
Is it just a matter of taste? But everytime I hear SRV, I get more and more amazed about the way he approaches the guitar. HIS BODY & SOUL are so loud and clear. Also JIMI: that man could almost everything, BUT DON'T FORGET THE "SHOW" ELEMENT. His show and performance was far "futuristic", I can't find a proper word, but he did things people never saw with a "wooden piece and strings"
About JIMI: 3-4 years ago, I was still working, someone had the "authentic neck" of one of his guitars, he smashed and burned. The BIDDING price, still 6 days to go was already 30.000$ (23 bids) with still 6 days to go. BUT DON'T WORRY, you received a certificate of authenticity.
Playing with his teeth, smashing and burning guitars, are things people will remember next to his music. He did that only 3-4 times, BURNING and DESTROYING HIS GUITAR, but isn't that what we call, it stays burned, in our "collective memory".
SRV: I remember me being around Vancouver, when it was on the news. Eric Clapton should have been too, in that helicopter.
SAD DAY for GUITAR PLAYERS: we lost already JIMI and now SRV.
OTHERS stick on ELVIS and JOHN LENNON. But I remember me, even having ZERO, ZIP, 0 albums of SRV where I was.
So, who is the best: we'll have to remain in the dark. SRV could play Voodoo Chile, just like Hendrix
I think a proper answer should be: ALMOST NO DIFFERENCE, but, Jesus, I would love to see them playing together, just like the G3, VAI & SATRIANI + guests: JOHNSON, MALMSTEEN. All fantastic players.
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE GUITAR PLAYER Jimmy, RV, yes his brother? He is real good too, and wasn't it so that Jimmy learned him to play? Fabulous thunder birds, are they still active?

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: JIMI and SRV ARE PLAYING TOGETHER STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: no beatles, no stones BUT SRV versus JIMI HENDRIX

Hi Doc Phil, I think S V R was better than Hendrix.at least more polished. I watched some old footage of Freddie King
last nite and its not hard to see Where Steve Ray Vaughn got his licks. Try to find a DVD of Steve Ray Vaughn "Live at the El Mocombo" in Toronto. Truly amazing.Will make the hair on the back of your neck stand strait up.Cool thread and interesting to see what others think.

Have a good day...Badeye.

one caper after another

Well, Badeye, we meet each other a lot here, and MORE, I have the impression we agree about a lot of things: called the same "frequency".
That's the reason why I wrote this topic, watching and checking every single letter.
You noticed probably that I mentioned "the show element". Except for the WHO, and I mean here in particular, Keith Moon, or MOONATIC, who destroyed almost always, his drums, and besides this: hotel rooms. I can not believe that "NORMAL" musicians destroy their instruments. You, me, and so many other music players and lovers, have to work more than hard to obtain your, our "dream instrument". Well, this can be an interesting topic, about chordians versus destroyers, see you probably there again.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: WHAT IS A LUNATIC? WHO DECIDES NORMAL/ABNORMAL

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I'll break it down like this; As far as live performances go Hendrix was the better "showman" but SRV was technically superior. I was lucky enough to see SRV twice in concert. Once in 1983 ( Roanoke, VA) and in 1990  (Washington DC). SRV conveyed emotion through his music that made me cry. He's the only guitarist that has done this for me personally. I have seen numerous live recordings of Hendrix to base this statement on.  In the studio is a different story. I have the "Band of Gypsies" DVD that Hendrix's original recording engineer, Eddie Kramer, plays indidvidually some of the amazing things that Hendrix was creating, some of which still, some 35 years later, have guitarists scratching their head and saying what the........SRV was more than a blues player as Hendrix was more than an experimentalist loud acid rocker. To say who the better player was is impossible for me to say.
I agree with Badeye, nice topic for discussion DocPhil.

Have a Great Day,
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

Well, almost every answer here can be (at least now) considered as what I was thinking.
They are both great, they play "similar songs", but for me SRV had more potential. He wasn't running away in "substances" but in his music. He is one of the greatest guitar player I know, and I discovered him not long before he died. BUT SRV (Jimi too, but a lot of his music didn't reach the audience, because of his ACT) doesn't play the blues, but HE IS the blues.
________________________________________________________________________________

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: I WOULD HAVE PAID A FORTUNE TO SEE THEM BOTH ON STAGE

SRV was a great guitarist as well as Jimi but who did they listen to for there inspiration. SRV is Albert King refined check out the Albert King "In Session" cd where SRV does a guest artist spot throught out the whole cd.

Bootlegger.