Topic: Thanks to songwriters

I'm not a song-writer.  I'm always making up little ditties singing around the house, but not SONGS.  With that in mind, I wanted to take a moment to thank the folks who take the time to share their thoughts put to music over on the Songwriting forum.  You will never see me posting a song there, because it's just not something I'm equipped to do.  But reading through them and seeing the emotions and thoughts that are obviously so personal being set to music and shared with us - well, I feel like it's a special privilege. 

I've been playing songs by Last Rebel and James McCormick and Selso and others right alongside songs by Willie Nelson and John McCutcheon and some of the other great songwriters of our time.  I thought it appropriate to say thanks to our songwriters for being inspirations and for being so generous of themselves and especially for allowing their talent to be my pleasure. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Thanks to songwriters

very true

Wow Zurf - you have made my day!  I get a lot of personal satisfaction from writing songs and it is really great to know that you also enjoy the music.

One of the first songs I put onto chordie's forum was "What a Friend We Have In Kitty" (a satirical take on "What a Friend We Have in Jesus").  Roger Guppy, who was brand new to the site, made a nifty little slide show video of the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INIhGiU_SE8

Needless to say, I was thrilled that somebody out there in webworld liked what I had written.  Since then, chordie's Songwriting forum has attracted many talented and creative musicians.  The Songwriting forum is a great source for entertainment and inspiration for me also - James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

well thank you zurf smile Im sure im very flattered to be sung next to willie nelson.
Im no prodigy but what i write is real because i only write what ive lived, or in some cases i guess understood would be the right word. Its kind of funny to think somebody would be so amused with the midnight scrap papers (i dont think i have one song i wrote during the day... is that strange??) of a sixteen year old east texas hick, but im glad they meant something to somebody else.
James, my uncle was always notorious for re writing hymns (and singing them in choir lol), he's penned such classics as 'now let us have a little chocolate Jesus' (let us have a little talk with Jesus) and 'there's a gland beyond the liver' (there's a land beyond the river). He also does a slightly disturbing but hilarious version of 'he touched me'

All You Need is Love smile

Couldn't agree with you more Zurf.  I too have been playing and singing heaps of songs that appear from our many talented chordians.  One of my daughters,a week or so ago asked what song I was playing and did I write it?  I answered no a friend of mine from Ireland wrote it (Old Doll).  Classic!  It could of quite easily been, Texas, Mississippi, Portugal or a number of other places around this beautiful world of ours.  Well done all you songwriters, keep them coming.

Ray

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

i really am flattered , zurf, comments like that are what makes me keep going. some times i feel pretty uninspired or like my songs dont count or matter. its good to know that someone out there is paying attenion. thanks for the insperation!!!!!!!

selso

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat