Topic: bit of a problem

just wondering if someone could help us out i came home late last week and as i was about to get to bed i tripped on a footpedal and landed right on my girlfriends guitar and the neck snapped on the top was just curious if you can get them repaired or even a new neck and also how much roundabouts it would cost maybe some of you people who repair and make guitars could help out oh and how quick can it b done she doesnt no and she would kill me.

Roy

Re: bit of a problem

Ouch!  Best to fess up to her, confess your undying love, beg her forgiveness, and find a luthier to see about repairs.  Even if you find somebody to do the fix, it will be gone for several days . . . she'll eventually notice and you will be in double-deep doo-doo unless you come clean about it now. 

On the one hand, it's great your girlfriend plays guitar - on the other hand, female musicians are usually a fierce and fearsome breed.  Maybe if you offer up your guitar for her to smash it might let her vent her fury on it rather than you?

Bring the wounded instrument to your local music shop and see what they say and who they might recommend.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

jimmyriddle74 wrote:

just wondering if someone could help us out i came home late last week and as i was about to get to bed i tripped on a footpedal and landed right on my girlfriends guitar and the neck snapped on the top was just curious if you can get them repaired or even a new neck and also how much roundabouts it would cost maybe some of you people who repair and make guitars could help out oh and how quick can it b done she doesnt no and she would kill me.

Roy

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, with that out of the way am I understanding that you snapped the headstock off your girls acoustic guitar? If so where and angle is the break? If it is below the fingerboard you have to cut a scarf joint and attach a new head stock. What brand of guitar is it? If it cost less than $250.00 american then buy her a new guitar because you broke the other one and it will be cheaper to replace it. To change the neck is a major job that would run around $400.00 american including parts and labor. Buy her a new one let her pick it out this way she is getting what she wants and it shows remorse from you. The benefits maybe worth it. As James said be honest with her she may be understanding.

Alot of good luck!
Bootlegger.

4 (edited by jimmyriddle74 2007-09-22 08:04:21)

its just above the fretboard i cant let her  no its not an expensive guitar its samick or summit u no of any sites that would supply this type of guitar she is gonna murder me if she finds out im bricking it, the only good thing i can come up with is that it wasnt one of my guitars

Roy

Years ago I had an older giutar that  I would take to parties.
One nite a drunk fell on it while it stood against the wall. It broke just above the nut. Got it repaired but would never stay in tune.

I like Bootleggers idea of buying her a new guitar. Oh and women love when men are honest.

Good Luck...Badeye.

one caper after another

Hi Bootleger,

Ive been given the oppurtunity to trade or buy a new Guitar!

I love the sound of the guitar i have now.. My problem with it is the
Body has a high shape under my right shoulder. When i practise for a long time
i get a sore shoulder?
I also have a smaller one, given to me recently for practise. This causes no problems...but i dont like the sound.
In your opinion, what would you recommend for a woman? Personally i dont see my self as a Daisy Rock Type. Tehe...

My other guitar also on one of the strings makes this echo back into the body
when playing? Its not buzzing ,its an echo?.
I was thinking of learning how to yodel to accompany it? lol.

forgive my ignorance on this one. Any tips please.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Fess up.  If you fix it and hide it, you're still in trouble if she finds out.   Tell her you busted it, it was an accident,  and make it right.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

8 (edited by bootleger 2007-09-22 18:03:20)

Old Doll wrote:

Hi Bootleger,

Ive been given the oppurtunity to trade or buy a new Guitar!

I love the sound of the guitar i have now.. My problem with it is the
Body has a high shape under my right shoulder. When i practise for a long time
i get a sore shoulder?
I also have a smaller one, given to me recently for practise. This causes no problems...but i dont like the sound.
In your opinion, what would you recommend for a woman? Personally i dont see my self as a Daisy Rock Type. Tehe...

My other guitar also on one of the strings makes this echo back into the body
when playing? Its not buzzing ,its an echo?.
I was thinking of learning how to yodel to accompany it? lol.

forgive my ignorance on this one. Any tips please.

Old Doll.

Good morning to you Doll our paths have crossed again,

Well at least where I'm at. A couple of questions for you. Are you really blonde? (just kidding smile ) You mentioned that when you practice to long your shoulder hurts. Do you practice standing or sitting? If your standing adjust your strap (guitar) to lower your guitar aleaviating some of your arm angle where it rest on the guitar body. If your sitting, I know it's not proper for a lady but position the guitar while sitting with your legs open to lower its position thus affecting your arm angle.

I don't know what may be causing the echo sound without the guitar in my hands, it could be a number of things that one is tough to trouble shoot without the guitar.

Due to experiences with women (they don't come with an instruction manual) I don't recommend anything I only suggest (with respect). I am always for getting a new guitar. With that said I know what I look for in a guitar acoustic or electric but I don't know what you like or the sound your looking for. The bottom line is you because you have to be happy on what your spending your money on. Go play a few guitars (preferable before Girley night out) play them as if you were at home practicing you'll know the one when you play it. Hope this helps.

Good luck and it is alway a pleasure to hear from you big_smile.

Bootlegger.

jimmyriddle74 wrote:

its just above the fretboard i cant let her  no its not an expensive guitar its samick or summit u no of any sites that would supply this type of guitar she is gonna murder me if she finds out im bricking it, the only good thing i can come up with is that it wasnt one of my guitars

Roy

Jimmyriddle74,

Can you slide on the broken headstock back to were it broke or is the headstock broken in a couple of pieces? If you can slide it back in to the break than it can be glued. If so then take off the hardware (screws and machine heads/ tuners) get some wood glue apply the wood glue on the headstock and the neck at the break. Get some clamps (the kind of small bar clamps that you squeeze and they close in) place it on the guitar neck or you can tape it in place with painters masking tape it is usually blue in color (it don't leave behind adheseve like the regular masking tape) and tap it in place. Don't for get to wipe off all the excess glue (can be done with alchol/not double malt, or a dampe cloth with warm water) and let it cure for a week. This is a common accurance with Gibsons when they fall over the headstock breaks, unlike a bolt on neck you can just buy a new neck. You should still come clean with your woman and offer her up a new guitar. She'll still love on you anyways.

Bootlegger.

Fáilte Bootleger,

Thank you for your reply, May i return the compliment!
When i stopped laughing at your initial response. I see now what you mean
about liking the sound a guitar makes. My sons friend has taken over a small
music store,and he is giving me what seems like a good deal. So i will spend some time there with guitars, before deciding.
Funny after having a few Bacardis last night! I couldnt hear the echo?.
Yes! I do sit when playing. Yes i have tried adjusting my legs in various positions { Dont know why writing this is making me laugh} Serious now..
but it made no difference..
As to your question am i blonde? Yes!  im also a Virgin.? Virgin on the ridiculous!!!. 40dd, 30 waist, and 36 hips... Sure bootleger the girleys are planning our christmas w/e away. Lovely Hotel, ill book you in, and you can check for yourself if any or all of the above is true.
Ill  keep the guitar till then and you can check out my echo.
I also have a lovely heart etched into the bridge with our 2 names on.Its only massive Boot! just so you dont get lost when next visiting?
Thank you for your insight into guitar positions! Life will never be the same again!

Virginal Old Doll!.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

11 (edited by Orpheus 2007-09-23 18:14:14)

Roy, if you fix it, glue it or mend it via a shop or whatever, not only will it be expensive, but she'll know.
If my guitar had a crack, even a hairline fracture, I would be able to tell, changing pieces of it without telling her would probably end up with her being mad at you for not coming clean. If it were me in your shoes and I'd broken my girlfriends guitar (which she arguably loves more than me) then I would probably find out exactly how to repair it in the best way possible, and compare that price to getting her a better guitar.

Then I'd do one of the below.

1: Buy her a new one, get one of my artist friends who plays to do a beautiful design on it, something personal to us both or maybe her initials, fess up the breakage and take the crap that comes with it, but leave the new one as a surprise for her. I wouldn't be like "honey I broke your guitar but check out this baby!" because she'd feel that I didn't understand how important her old one was to her, I'd just leave it in her room and tell her downstairs, take the rap, then when she's done berating me (and probably having kicked me out while she cools off) she'd find the new one and realise that I truly wanted to make my mistake right.

or

2: Fess up to the breakage, tell her how it happened, take the crap, and give her the money and the details of where to get it fixed when she was more calm. Take the guitar to get repaired together to show that I do care and I'd apologise profusely the whole way through and if it couldn't be repaired at all in the end then I would just buy her a new one anyway regardless of whether or not she's still mad at me because at the end of the day if it had been mine she'd have probably wanted to do the same regardless of whether or not she could afford it.

Thats my advice, but either way come clean. if you reverse the situation and imagine that she'd done it to you than you'd probably be more mad at her for not being honest about what happened even if she did repair it behind your back than you would be for her coming clean and getting you a new better one/getting it repaired properly with you.

Good luck man, and remember, honesty is the best policy.

Peas

I would just come clean. You might get her pretty mad at first, But Hopefully she'll understand. Then I would just replace it for her or if it has extreme sentimental value get it repaired. Thats the best advice I could give considering I havent experienced.

>:E 

--look at those Chompers

hey roy,
just wondering, did you ever solve this problem?