Topic: the chord chart and G/D

Hi folk

I have no idea where to ask this, so I ask here.

I was playing a song where it had the chord G/D in it. I  didnt like the sound of the first option it gave me so I click on the chord to get an alternative.
If you follow the link at the bottom it should take you to the page of G/D chords.
The one I am very puzzled with is the second one.
It has the number 0 next to the fret indicating, if like the rest this is fret 0 ( as in one below fret one)
But it has marking where your fingers should go.

Can this be explained or is it a mistake?

http://www.chordie.com/voicings.php?tun … rd=GslashD

cheers

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Re: the chord chart and G/D

Hi Ken - Looks to me like the chart probably has a mistake.

I think that version of the chord should start way up on the 10th fret (not the 0 fret).
That way, the low E string at the 11th fret will give you the D.

Anybody else have any insight on this?
James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

i think ye might be right James.
But i will not be playing this chord away up there either ,lol.
I have used yet another alternative that sounds no bad

cheers

Ken

Ken,
A G/D chord is a split chord. If you were to play it on a piano the right hand would play a G chord and the left hand would play a D note or chord(doesn't matter so much as long as it's D major).
The easiest way to play this G/D chord on guitar is;(XX0433)

As you mentioned earlier, you've found an alternative way of playing theG/D. My past experiences have proven that whenever a "split" chord comes up, try one of the two and you'll most likely be happy with one or the other.

So again, in conclusion, while playing split chords the first chord is the right hand note on the piano ( treble clef) and the second chord is the left hand on the piano(bass clef).

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Peace & Guitar,
Toney

Give everything but up.

Hi toney,
not confusing there, I was just saying how the chord diagram showed as if you started on fet 0.

The way you mention G/D is slightly different to the variation I am using now. It shows it as

I can carry on using the G chord instead of using the other variation, but the variation makes the tune sound so much better.

Cheers

Ken

hi. just a little insight.   G/D indicates a G chord with a D as your lowest note. also there is no A in that chord.(your open A string shouldn't be there, nor the A at the 10th fret on your B string)    I really enjoy this site, with it's ease of use and the ability to transpose and edit the songbook, but, there are a lot of errors in the chords. be careful. also, a lot of the songs are written wrong, chordwise. I usually edit the songs in my songbook. of course sometimes it's just for my own ease of use. I think it would be cool, but probably not practical, to weed out the songs that are just blatantly wrong. I have been a pro musician for longer than I care to remember, so I can pretty readily sift through the rubble, but I know that a lot of people just take it for granted that the chords are correct, and it can be frustrating. use your ears. didn't mean to ramble on.  RC

Thanks for the feedback rrcole. You can edit the songs by clicking "correct" at the bottom. This way other benefit from your changes/corrections.

I will add a feature that let you "vote" for songs to be removed. I have however not decided how to implement this yet.