Topic: Les Paul or SG?

Hey, I've been looking around at different electrics for awhile now.  I've played friends' Strats, and have tried a few Les Pauls and SGs at Guitar Center.  I like the Stat, but I've narrowed my choices down to an LP or SG.  I really love both-and there are a couple models in particular that I'm looking at.  I'm looking at either the LP-100 or an SG-400 model.  They are in a similar price range, depending where you buy them at.  Could anyone who owns either offer some comments? Thanks

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Les Paul or SG?

If it were a Gibson LP classic in tobacco sunburst I would pick it, other wise go for the SG. You did not mention if they were Gibson's or Epiphones.

Bootlegger.

from epiphone, sg from gibson..........sg i totally am anti les paul

Les pauls are awsome ever herd of something like sweet home alabama thats proof right there

neon, Why are you ANTI LES PAUL?
I love them both but I am a PRS freak

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

6 (edited by Detman101 2007-09-28 12:30:06)

I never heard a difference in guitars until I got my Silverburst LP.
I tried multiple types of guitars in guitar shops and never could tell a difference until I found mine.

I would go with the SG type if you don't want a guitar that is too heavy. My LP weighs about 13 pounds but for me it's worth it. Most people can only play with it for about 5 minutes before they're complaining about their back or leg or something.

Most SG guitars are a LOT lighter from what I've experienced in guitar shops.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I highly prefer SG's.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

Both are Epiphones.  The SG looks cooler but I like the colors of the LP better.  I'm leaning toward a Vintage G-400 SG, though.  I read the SG is lighter.  That's a plus.  Does anyone else have any opinions?  What's the biggest difference between these two and a Strat or Tele? Thanks

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

i want one of those goddess les pauls.... they look so nice and they have a narrow neck for my small hands. Ive never owned a lp or a sg, but Ive heard people play both firsthand.... personally i like the warmth of a les, but if your going for heavier distortion i'd pick SG

All You Need is Love smile

You can get clean and distorted licks outta a Les Paul.  I love mine and find it one of the most versitile guitars on the planet.  I can crank out the Heavy Metal, The Hard Rock, Uh....the "in between stuff" whatever that is and even the Blues.  I don't do Country, but I've heard some of my buddies produce a good twanky-tune from my Les Paul.  I have no problems playing some of Van Halen's stuff, Metallica or STP on my LP.  Love it or hate it...a Les Paul just can't be beat.  I prefer the Gibson Les Paul's, but "some" of the Epi's are good.  I love all the Epi Zakk Wylde models I have played (and damn it, I want one so bad!), but some of the other Epis are a little off.  I admit you will over-pay for a Gibson LP, but you will get a hand-crafted finish and a human to do QA on it.  With an Epi, you get a mass-produced ax with no QA.  However, it's up to you whether it's worth the price-drop or not.  Either one you choose, you will be getting a quality solid-body guitar with great tone and playability. 

As far as an SG...I have played one and it ROCKS.  But (for me) I like the feel, weight and presence of a Les Paul.  Personally, I think a Les Paul will leave an SG curled up in the corner...crying.  But then again...it all depends on the player.

Did I mention I wanted ALL the Epiphone Zakk Wylde models?

Sorry.  I think I am going to be sick.

Rock on!

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile

BrownSound wrote:

You can get clean and distorted licks outta a Les Paul.  I love mine and find it one of the most versitile guitars on the planet.  I can crank out the Heavy Metal, The Hard Rock, Uh....the "in between stuff" whatever that is and even the Blues.  I don't do Country, but I've heard some of my buddies produce a good twanky-tune from my Les Paul.  I have no problems playing some of Van Halen's stuff, Metallica or STP on my LP.  Love it or hate it...a Les Paul just can't be beat. 

Personally, I think a Les Paul will leave an SG curled up in the corner...crying.  But then again...it all depends on the player.

Rock on!

AMEN!!!

DM

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

For what it's worth: I have a Gibson SG Menace, a killer guitar. BUT, as I wrote I am a PRS man, and you should try the SE serie, look at www.zzounds.com or www.musiciansfriend.com to have an idea about the SG guitars. There are US GIBSON SG for a reasonable price.
It might be possible that if you go for an Epiphone, they have real good guitars, and my favourite is not the Epiphone SG 400 but the EPIPHONE SPECIAL SG, and also the cheapest (199$, I think) but that's a matter of taste.
If you like SG's, I should spend more $$ and having a Gibson SG.
Look at the prices on these sites, but take also a look on eBay, I did some really great business also because of the very strong €. If I go to a music store here, I will pay at least twice the price.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: SG OR NOT SG

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

BrownSound wrote:

I admit you will over-pay for a Gibson LP, but you will get a hand-crafted finish and a human to do QA on it.  With an Epi, you get a mass-produced ax with no QA.  However, it's up to you whether it's worth the price-drop or not.
Did I mention I wanted ALL the Epiphone Zakk Wylde models?

Sorry.  I think I am going to be sick.

Rock on!

For one, my Epiphone SG sounds better than a stock Gibson, and it's BONE STOCK. It DID come with active EMG pickups, I'll admit, which helps a LOT. The EMG's will outburn the Gibson pickups everywhere, in my experience. My Epi has also had NO problems, unlike a few of the Gibson Les Pauls I've played and literally had the tone knob fall off in my hand. It's a solid-feeling guitar with a mahogany neck and body, rosewood fretboard, set neck construction and flawless finish. I think it's damn good for ANY brand name. From what I can tell, it's kind of like the SG version of the Zakk Wylde LP's. I prefer the SG shape over the LP style, I think it's more ergonomic and better looking. I honestly don't see what the hype about the Les Paul's are. Don't get me wrong, I love them and I want one, but they are certainly not the be all end all of electric guitars.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

not much to add to this but i love me a sg

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I own so many guitars, and I have two similar guitars (sound), SG Menace, and a PRS SE made in Korea, and that guitar as is the Gibson, are rock guitars

I'll break it down like this;

LesPauls have a very distinct sound but they're heavy. I recommend a wide strap to accomodate the weight of the guitar. This is the only down side to this guitar. As previous posters have said, this guitar is extremely versitile and will sound great playing any style of music.

SG's have a more common sound but the fretboard is more accesable than the Les Paul. The SG is a lighter guitar and a thin strap will be sufficient for this guitar.

Your best bet would be to go to your local music store and play each of guitars, through the same amp, and base your decision on your personal preferences of what moves you as a musician.

Give everything but up.

the sg is a lot easier to play.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

06sc500 Why Gibson and/or Fender, the difference? I noticed that more and more people start to use a telecaster, this one AND NO EFFECTS FOR ALL OF THEM, has a crystal clear sound, and is used more and more in Rock and Blues, the stratocaster, has 3 single coils (some 2 coils and a humbucker), also giving a sound more clear than Gibson. Gibson, also NO EFFECTS, has a deeper sound, more bass. and very good for all kinds of music. About the SG, well listen to AC/DC.
A MUST: go to www.gibson.com and search for the humbuckers. You can listen to different humbuckers that Gibson uses.

The ryhthm player in my band plays an Epi LP.  The crunch coming out of it at high gain is awesome.   You can hear it on "Alcohol Talking" from DDG's myspace, below.   Please forgive the lousy recording.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I have owned both a Les paul and an SG. Both of them are the best playing guitars I have ever played. I prefer the SG because it is lighter. Other than that they both play the same.

ebigham1 I have also the SG and a Les Paul, but I sold my standard and got a real nice price.
Maybe I shouldn't have done this, but I have a Gibson LP Supreme, and 2 customs.
As I told, I have a PRS SE (can it be a Billy Martin?) and this guitar sounds better than my SG.
There are TOO MANY guitars on the market. 20 years ago, you had 1 choise: A Gibson LP Standard, and a Custom, and a Gibson SG, Fender: Stratocaster or telecaster.
Take a look today in your music store: 30 different stratocasters, reissues, Clapton and others, relics. It is really confusing.
My Gibson SG Menace, has no lacquer finish, no covers on the humbuckers, and was affordable.
One of the things that make guitars expensive is caused by the lacquer finish. I saw how it was done, and ... a huge work, similar to a car,  PRECISION WORK, the workers there wear masks, the guitars are in a special place to dry. The time they use for this, is almost the same to build a guitar. BUT WILL IT CHANGE THE SOUND?

Well Gitaardocphil, I didn't sell my Les Paul I gave it to my friends son. He is just starting to learn to play and he wanted a les Paul really bad. Mine was just sitting around collecting dust so I gave it to him. But he is not allowed to sell it, break it or give it away. If he wants to do any of these things he has to give it back to me.

I stopped selling and trading them in a while ago. I will just collect them from now on.

I play a no-name Les Paul style guitar, never played an SG, but I'd go with the LP. It's much more versatile. Les Pauls have been played by bands from Kula Shaker to System of a Down.
If you get an SG you are pretty much limited to Rock and Metal.

Try these, decent quality and very cheap:

www.wesleyguitars.co.uk

Tibernius wrote:

I play a no-name Les Paul style guitar, never played an SG, but I'd go with the LP. It's much more versatile. Les Pauls have been played by bands from Kula Shaker to System of a Down.
If you get an SG you are pretty much limited to Rock and Metal.

Try these, decent quality and very cheap:

www.wesleyguitars.co.uk

Um, no. Not even close. I play blues, jazz, metal, rock, even classical on an SG. Derek Trucks plays blues on an SG. It's the player, not the guitar. Les Pauls are really not that versatile, neither are SG's. They will always sound comparatively darker and moodier than guitars with SC pickups. If you have not played both, you really don't know, I'm afraid.

-Jimi Hendrix.

SGinCYQX wrote:

I highly prefer SG's.

I Think SGinCYQX only prefers SG's because he probably has a cheapo copy of one, perhaps an epiphone..polar white maybe with EMG pickups.  Les paul is by far better, especially if you get a semi-hollowbody.

DJ Cormier
[url=http://www.bigdjindustriez.tk]www.bigdjindustriez.tk[/url]
myspace.com/bigdjindustriez