Topic: FUNNY FACTS IN COUNTRY MUSIC

Every living person knows that there was a great country star, JOHNNY CASH who's career started also in Tennessee.
He was married with another famous country star, named JUNE CARTER.
There is another country player born as  Donald Eugene Lytle. It is no joke, but it is really funny that he changed his name in JOHNNY PAYCHECK. Reason: much easier to remember his name as a parody on the (real name) JOHNNY CASH.
But PAYCHECK was not a saint, he was aggressive, addicted, and spent two years in prison.
I don't know if he is "famous" or "well known" in the USA, but his records sold quit good.
Looking at both names: CASH and PAYCHECK, was funny for me, because, not being an US citizen, but living in Belgium, EUROPE, we are really kind of "retarded" concerning the Country & Western music. This music style is typical American.
Second funny fact: ask anyone you see who wrote the song "WILD THING", the answer will be the same: "The Troggs". BUT!!! They didn't write this song.
More it is written by CHIP TAYLOR, born as James Wesley VOIGHT, and this name rings a bell.
YES he is the brother of the actor JON VOIGHT his 2 year older brother, and the uncle of Madame Jolie. He wrote a lot of songs, including another TROGGS song: Any Way You Want Me and also for Joplin: Step Out of Your Mind, Country Girl City Man, I'll Hold Out My Hand, and Try (Just a Little Bit Harder) (Janis Joplin). YOU SHOULD TRACK WILD THING ON THE INTERNET AND LISTEN TO IT. The song is made in a way, that it sounds like a Senator, who sings this after a dozen of "takes"

Are there "chordians" who like to react on this, or correcting me if I am wrong? I like to know and to hear, how many of you did know this facts.
________________________________________________________________________________

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: ELLE ETAIT SI JOLIE

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: FUNNY FACTS IN COUNTRY MUSIC

Ok,
I will accept the fact that the troggs did not write wild thing, but what I want to know is why did the singer from the troggs rake in all the roylaties for it and made him a rich man when wet wet wet spent 15 weeks at number one with it. Why was it not the original singer that got all the royalties?
Maybe because he sold the rights to the troggs?

Anyone know?

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Well, this is an easy one. CHIP TAYLOR, see wikipedia, wrote that song, BUT what happened was that WET WET WET used a song written by the frontman of the troggs (calls himself Reg Presley), from which he received so much $$$ from royalties, that he said indeed: those guys make me rich, which is fantastic as retirement present.
The SONG IS USED IN THE MOVIE 4 WEDDINGS and A FUNERAL, and the title was:
LOVE IS ALL AROUND.
I feel it in my fingers, I feel it....
I suppose they both received a lot of money: WET WET WET as performers, I believe it was their greatest hit, and Reg Presley, because he got the royalties. Funny, 30 years later.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: PRESLEY DON'T GET WET

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Johnny Cash was a hard living guy, but he never spent any time in prison.  That's a myth.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

but did he spend the night in jail for picking flowers  like the film showed?

or i heard that or something?

KEn

He spent the night in the poke on a couple of occasions.  He also started a forest fire once, and got sued by the federal government over it.

But no prison.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

In Europe, we do not have a Country and Western culture. So I don't know a lot about those guys.
I agree the only person well known here is/was Johnny Cash. I was in 2003 for 2 days in NASHVILLE, and I have to say it was GREAT, as European, NOT having as I told, a culture like that.
I just know that I recieved "flyers" where the sister of J.CASH organised trips in Nashville, visting places like the ol' opry, but I had no time, one of the reasons was: TOO much Bourbon-Cola, the evening before. If you ask here in Europe a WHISKY COLA, you get 1-2 fingers Whisky and the rest is Cola. There, you get 2 fingers Cola, and the rest is Whisky. But Nashville is one of the most clean, nicest towns I saw in the US. At noon in a bar: a bunch of people, 30-40 persons, and one guy playing country on his acoustic guitar, it get's better, after he finished playing, the next act was an OLD (at least 70-75 year old) couple, a HE and a SHE, playing together songs, and asking the audience what they wanted to hear. WE DON'T HAVE SUCH beautiful events here.
Did you had the opportunity to listen to the song "wild thing" by Chip Taylor. I also love those names, like CHIP, CHUCK: what about those names? real like JOHN, BILL, or not

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: ISN'T IT LOVELY TO WATCH THAT, NO CASH? NO PAYCHECK

ahh johnny cash, theres no doubt he was awesome, but WHAT exactly it was that made him awesome im not sure,....

You'll find in country music that musical heritage plays a big part in someones career. SOngs, names, album names, and lyrycs will pretty often play off of (or give a respectiful wink at) some prior country legend or song. Its kind like showing your respect and knowledge of the music you've become a part of. sometimes people do it because they think it will make hard core country fans like them, sometimes its because they genuinely respect another singer and want to give them a tribute.... being a man accustomed to prison johnny paycheck would have naturally been a johnny cash fan. The fact he never went doesnt really matter in the end i guess because everybody i ever knew who got in trouble with the law loved johnny cash.
Johnny Paycheck is considered a country classic here in america, but hes not HUGE. Hes mostly known for take this job and shove it

All You Need is Love smile

LAST REBEL: what about CHIP TAYLOR?

_________________________________________________________________________________

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: MY TAYLOR PUTS A CHIP IN MY COSTUME

GITAARDOCPHIL,

Actually there is a live and kicking C&W culture in Europe - in Ireland. We're right in the middle of a series of bluegrass and appalachian inspired festivals at the minute. There are strong links between the music of the celtic nations and hillbilly music. Indeed, many of the original european settlers of virginia, kentuckee and thereabouts came from Scotland and the north of Ireland.

Another strong link between Ireland and hillbilly music - with an emphasis on the STRONG - is whiskey ( note the inclusion of the "e" to denote Irish, rather than Scotch ). Please do us the honour of not polluting your whiskey with brown sugar water ! Ice or water are acceptable, anything else is an effete affectation.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Hi, fellow chordian alansheeran
My "humble" opinion was always, forgive me if I'm wrong that:
1) the USA accent (more North America) is a lot closer to IRISH English, than British English
2) the Irish music is more related to US "folk or C&W music), that's also why I think that the Irish music is at least 75% responsible for the C&W in the USA.
Of course, there are a lot of other influences.
I wrote a topic a few months ago with the subject: influences like "afro american", better "African" music, native american music (but on this nobody gave me an answer, BUT there HAS TO BE AN INFLUENCE by NATIVES like APACHE, SIOUX...??).
In fact I believe that there are a few different kinds of music.
- BLUES, and the evolution to ROCK, if you play a blues song, and you start playing it fast, it looks pretty well like rock & roll.
- COUNTRY & WESTERN: main influence Irish.
- GOSPEL
- A COMBINATION GOSPEL/BLUES is more close to the (wrong term, for me at least) R&B.
African slaves were singing, as a kind of communication, I think, and sometimes you find strange situations, like led belly's : "Black Betty", no guitar, nothing, just using his feet for the rhythm, in a later version: RAM JAM.
I looked to some African music, and I did find similar rhythms so the "blues" are probably a lot older than we think
I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS CORRECT, SO PLEASE FORGIVE ME, AND SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: SI NON E VERO E BENE TROVATO

alansheeran wrote:

Please do us the honour of not polluting your whiskey with brown sugar water ! Ice or water are acceptable, anything else is an effete affectation.

lol

I agree with you there, so much I used to tell people off for wanting to dilute whisky ( note i have left the "e" out as I mostly drink whisky lol ) with lemonade or coke etc.
But then after watching a whisky drinking tv program last year sometime on a sunday evening the expert whisky tasters were saying how it is ok to dilute your whiskies with whatever takes to your taste buds.
It made me think of Vodka, Gin, Bacardi, Jack Daniels, Southern Comfort etc etc etc  , mostly everyone duliutes these drinks with lemonade or coke so why not whisky? If someone likes the taste then who is to say it is wrong ( apart from me you and about 95% scottish and irish lol )

anyway, sorry for going off topic, just thought that had to be said as I love my whisky with two lumps of ice and half the amount of water than the whisky.

Ken

gitaardocphil wrote:

LAST REBEL: what about CHIP TAYLOR?

_________________________________________________________________________________

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: MY TAYLOR PUTS A CHIP IN MY COSTUME

um he was more pop rock writer right? Wild THing lol?? My knowledge is mainly country centered smile

All You Need is Love smile

Guitaardoc,

The folk Songs of Scotland and Ireland have real similarities with C&W - they're mostly based on pentatonic scales. Irish Trad music, on the other hand, is based on modes, rather than chords. It's the tune which is important and it can be very difficult to add simple harmony.

Something I always wondered about was where the rythm in Hillbilly music came from as it can be very sophisticated. Then I heard a drummer in a pipe ( bagpipe ) band, and he was fairly rattling away.

US Accent - I think its a mix of Northern Irish and Devonian (S England) - both of which actually sound their "r's" (Hope I'm not talking out of mine !)

Upyer,

Couldn't agree more. Unforunately, I have to say that the worst whisky ( without an "e" ) I ever tasted was Lagavulin - so peaty that it tastes of tar. It's so bad that I still have three quarters of a bottle left after 6 months. Can't even get nextdoor's dog to drink it, and he's a fair drouth.

Alan,

I quite like it but  icannot bevy on it, one glass with a bit extra water than normal is ok, but for £46 a bottle I wouldnt go out and buy it.
Lagavulin is my mates favourite whisky of all time and he can drink it with just ice, hmmm, na, not for me either. I like highland and speyside malts, but my favourite is bladnoch but at £45 a bottle and I can drink it like water itself, I dont buy it that much, only for special occasions.
All Islay malts are very peaty as well as Jura malt, but if you go for a 21 year old they do taste a lot better.

Ken

Upyer,

I'm a Bushmills man myself. Their original grant to distill was in 1603, so age and experience is on their side! Don't know if you've seen the most recent TV advert for it, rain, rain, rain - just like this summer !

Their water comes straight off the Antrim plateau which has peat galore, thank goodness they filter the bits !