Topic: greatest southern rock song???

saw this show on CMT. sweet home alabama won, which made me happy at first till i realized free bird didn't win.... i was little unsure at first which i preferred but i got to thinking about how awesome the free-bird solo is, and the fact its one of the most requested songs in music history, so i think it should have won. What would yall pick,

FREE BIRD,

or

SWEET HOME ALABAMA???

or maybe something else as the greatest southern rock song of all time?

All You Need is Love smile

Re: greatest southern rock song???

Green Grass & High Tides- The Outlaws.

Whipping Post by The Allman Brothers

tie

Flirtin' With Disaster by Molly Hatchett

Give everything but up.

Green Grass & High Tides, superb.

Many of you will not have heard this, you are missing something important here in rock history.

Bootleger, you're a hero. Sounds like a good title for a song

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

I think between the two, freebird should have won easily....Especially the live version: 15 minutes of joy big_smile

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."
-Jimi Hendrix

Either SHA or Freebird would be a worthy winner.

However how about something a little bit more commercial like Hotel California or Take It Easy by The Eagles

David Grant

Gutar Player, Singer, Entertainer  - At least in my own mind.

I would have to say freebird as it reamains in my top 3 songs of all time and a song I have got written down to be played at my funeral with a big kareoke screen for everyone to sing along. I jest you not. Along with " everybody hurts" and "loch lomond"

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

love all those songs yall....

hows about,

Long as I see the Light,
or, Fortunate Son- Creedence Clearwater Revival

If you Want to get to heaven- Ozark Mountain Daredevils

La Grange- ZZTop (okay some people dont think of them as southern rock, but they are a bluesish type rock after all, and from texas smile)

Can't you see- Marshall Tucker Band

Come and GO bLues- Allman Brothers

or maybe something by the CDB?

I wish southern rock would make a comeback sometime...

9 (edited by Zurf 2007-09-28 18:44:30)

I don't really have a single favorite, but here are some contenders I didn't notice mentioned above:

CDB - "Uneasy Rider", "Devil Went Down to Georgia"
LS - "Gimme Three Steps"
Molly Hatchett - "Flirting With Disaster"
ZZ Top - "LaGrange"  (how, how, how, how), "Cheap Sunglasses"

- Zurf

oops - looks like LR posted LaGrange while I was prepping my response

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

FREEBIRD!!!!!!

Freebird!

If I was too choose a more recent effort then I would plump for Kings Of Leon - Holly Roller Novocaine.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

12 (edited by dada 2007-10-01 00:55:27)

I lean more to the ones  that aren't overplayed:

Midnight Rider-Allman Bros.

Train, Train- Blackfoot

Southern Man-Neil Young..i know true Southern rockers loathe this song because of the lyrics, which is why i include it.

Go WINGS..and Tigers,Lions and Reading F.C...C'mon Royals

Like Southpaw41L, I'll cast my vote for "Whipping Post" by the Allman Brother's Band - that track on 'Live at the Filmore East' is sheer genius.  The band was at a creative peak then - after Duane Allman and Barry Oakley (bassist) died in separate motorcycle accidents, they never recaptured the raw energy and creative flair.  Dickie Bett's guitar playing has always been great, but something about that original line-up with 2 drummers and all that talent just made for powerful music.

Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Freebird" would have to be a close second.  Here is an article in today's Jackson Mississippi paper about the plane crash 30 years ago:
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs. … 40334/1023

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hey Rebel, talk about new Southern Rock bands, if you don't know them, you have to check out Black Stone Cherry.  They're out of a real small town--Edmonton, Ky and the drummers dad was in the Kentucky Headhunters.  Anyway, they're high gain southern rock monsters.  Just google their name and you'll get their web site--the video for Lonely Train (on youtube) absolutely rocks.

ive heard of blackstone cherry, just never really looked into them because i wasn't sure what kind of music it was (guess i figgered on your typical mainstream radio rock people), but i'll be sure to go look them up.

sha and free bird are both as good as each other. Southern man in my view is one of the crappest songs I've heard. Neil Youngs voice hurts my ears.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

Altex wrote:

sha and free bird are both as good as each other. Southern man in my view is one of the crappest songs I've heard. Neil Youngs voice hurts my ears.

Philistine! Neil Young is always listenable (made up word but you know!) SHA and Freebird are both great songs but it amazes me what you can do with 3 chords and a few scales!  Check out "An Evening With The Allman Brothers". I borrowed my parents car and this tape from my brother and drove for 45 minutes cos i didn't want to be removed from the zone... it's awesome!

I'm the son of rage and love

Always liked Simple Man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHQ_aTjXObs and Still the Same http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA4jHtAspxU  Just some of my personal favorites... but there's so many! Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]