Topic: Cheap Twang

Can't afford a Gretsch? Here's a web page that reckons a decent rockabilly semi can be got by taking a Peavey Rockingham, changing the pickups to Dynasonics and installing a soundpost.

http://www.the-jime.dk/Rockabilly_Guitar.htm

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Re: Cheap Twang

G'morning cytania.
An Epihone Sheraton,hollowbody is NOT good to use in Rockabilly?
In Blues it is used more, but Am I right to say that these guitars are almost acoustic guitars, but full top and F-HOLES?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Fact is, you probably CAN afford a Gretsch.  The 5120 goes for less than $600, and you can change the bridge pickup for a TV Jones Classic for $120.  A couple of other minor modifications, and you can have an axe that sounds and looks almost identical to a Setzer Signature model for less than $1000.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Thanks for that, I'll keep a look out for 5120s, for some reason all the Gretsch's I see are always the expensive ones...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Be warned: if you're into the Gretsch twang at all, this will drive all other guitars from your life.  Many Gretsch players (based on the forums at TheGretschPages.com) find the stock pickups too muddy, and recommend the TV Jones Classics; I haven't modded mine to that extent just yet.  I'm also considering locking tuners...

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins