1 (edited by hazenk 2007-10-04 22:33:52)

Topic: Guitar Review...sorta...WOW! (breedlove)

Well Gang

On Monday Sept. 24, my wife and I had to head down to Clearwater, FL  for some business and had the chance to view and test a variety of Breedlove guitrars. (http://www.breedloveguitars.com/) I have heard a good bit of chatter about these beauties, some of it here on this site. The chatter was all positive, but I wanted to find out for myself.  And what I was/am looking for specifically was/is an acoustic/electric guitar with a nice tight neck action. And the sweet action of these guitars was the one theme that seem to remain consistant throughout the reviews I have read. Knowing there were a couple of places in the Clearwater area that had Breedloves for sale, I set up some appointments to look at a few. I had phoned the local Guitar Center because they had a few of the Atlas series guitars in stock. Which from a cost standpoint, was the guitar I really wanted to see. However, I also set up an appointment a gentleman named Frank Mann - Imagine Guitars - a dealer who works out of his home/condo - He carry's the higher-end Breedlove's but was very accomodating and was more than happy to to spend some time with me, show me his stock and let me get a feel for the guitars. I let him know ahead of time I was simply looking and did not want to waste his time. But he was very gracious, said no prob. Thus, I was able to strum some really sweet boxes from each of the higher level guitars featuring a variety of exotic and domestic woods. Even got to sample their new electric. And all I can say about my experience is... WOW!

First I sampled the Atlas AC25/SR Plus at the Guitar Center in Clearwater. They did not have the AD25/SR Plus in stock but did have the AD25/SM Plus. Now...before I go on...let me clear up all of this alphabetical code associated with these guitars! I know it can get confusing and although you can find this out on their site, I will try to make it as simple as possible.

Quick breakdown of the Atlas series:
1. The AC25 series are a particular level of Acoustic Electric series of guitars. Basically, you can have a pickup put in any of their guitars but these are their 'gig' style acoustic/electrics.

2. AC stands for Atlas Concert or a Concert style guitar. This is your basic "classical" style guitar without a pick guard. These come with a cutaway allowing you to play further up the neck. This guitar is ideal for finger pickers but you can certainly strum away. AD stands for Atlas Dreadnought. The AD25 series or Dreadnought series is also a cutaway.

3. SR or SM. SR = Rosewood back and sides. SM = Mahogany back and sides.
http://www.breedloveguitars.com/instrum … 5_sr_plus/

4. Atlas neck action: The neck action on the AC25/SR Plus and the AD25/SM Plus (the two I tested) was sweet. Felt like I was playing an electric guitar! But all the guitars I held and played had incredible action. Every bit as fast and sweet as they claim. From the Atlas up to the Master series.

5. The "Plus"  (AC25/SR Plus) means the guitar has additional inlaying and comes with a hardshell case. Thus the added $200.

I actually liked the feel of the Concert guitar much better than the Dread. The body was a bit thinner than the Dread. It fit nicely up against my body with a strap and left my playing arm/hand very free to pick or strum. Comparing the sounds was like apples and oranges because they are made of different woods. However, sampling both made me realize I like the "Rosewood" sound over the "Mahagonay" sound.

The AC25/SR Plus - the Concert guitar with Roseood back and sides - produced a warmer sound but still very crisp and bright if that makes sense. (If you ever test a blonde/maple guitar you will realize that they produce a brighter sound than a darker woood, thus the "warmer" feel...at least that is how I describe it. Keep in mind...jargon is just jargon!!! And the best way to ever test sounds of a guitar is pick up different types made of different woods....but I digress.

The AD25/SM Plus - the Dreadnought acoustic/electric with Mahagony back and sides did yield an even richer warmer sound. No where near as bright as the Rosewood.

Obviously, these are acoustic/electric, so once plugged in, you may have some control over the sound output depending upon your sound system and any bells and whistles that may come with your PA/amp. As I mentioned, they did not have a Rosewood Dread. But I am sure the Dread would resonate a bit more than the Concert and I am looking forward to giving the AD25/SR Plus a test. 

The Rosewood Plus Atlas guitars (both the AC25 - Concert and the AD25 - Dread) are $999 all over the Net as well as in the Guitar Centers. The guy at the Guitar Center in Clearwater was willing to knock off $200 to make the sale. So keep that in mind. The Mahogany version of both guitars go for $799 all over the Net.

Next...on to Frank Mann's and Imagine Guitar. When we arrived, he had several displayed for me and boy oh boy...were they purty!!!

In the Peformance Series I played two versions of the Focus:

1. the Breedlove Focus Maple Grand Concert Guitar Soft Cut http://www.imagineguitars.com/guitars/b … FocusM.htm and

2. The Dreadnought Focus of the same version. http://www.imagineguitars.com/guitars/b … _maple.htm

The sound...absolutely beautiful! Both guitars...expensive...$2000-2500ish. But man what a sound. Both had cutouts allowing for more versatile neckplay. Both extremely chrisp and bright but still very rich, if that makes sense.  The Dread resonated a bit more than the Concert but it is a bigger bodied guitar. These are blonde guitars so the sound is even brighter than the Rosewood.  These also came with built in pickups but not like you may see on a 'gig-style' Tak or Breed, etc. The controls actually are inside the guitar and the volume controls hug the rim of  the hole of the body. The pickup actually features a separate pickup and a mic - sort of a double whammy. Very light too. These were my favorite guitars because they sounded every bit as good as the high, high enders I played,  the action was smooooth and for the price somewhat less., I can see getting one...someday! roll

Got to strum the Revival Dreadnought (a sunburst full body dread - no cutout)and the Revival OOO Delux Edition. http://www.breedloveguitars.com/gallery/cal_06_000.php The OOO is their "Martinesque", twelve fret guitar. Short neck, nice size body...WOW what sound! Very much a classical feel guitar. A wider neck ideally for finger pickers and again...very nice action. Mahagony neck, Rosewood back and sides. I was very blown away at the sound. Really, really incredible!

Then I got to strum four different Master series including one made of KOA wood. A rare Hawaiian wood...knotty in looks. Very rich sound...more so than Mahagony. And beautiful! Sorta like asking "how much does it cost to fly the Concord...if you gotta ask how much..." These are their $7000ish guitars. And yes...you do get what you pay for. However, having said that...like I mentioned earlier, the two Performance Series Focus guitars I played, sounded eqaully as good.... at least to me! refer to link at the bottom here. All the guitars on this page he laid out for me to play.

Bottom line, I will get the Atlas series  Its all I can afford and I just don't need a $2-3000 dollar guitar to gig with, at least not now. Plus...its a wonderful guitar and a wonderful sounding guitar. Folks...Guitars are like wine for the most part...it is ultimately up to you and what YOU want and like! Furthermore...If you are gigging...be practical. A salesman may own a Porsche, but he sure as heck ain't driving it to death all week on his sales calls. So why blow your wad on a super high end guitar if you are gigging?  Furthermore...and the bottom line...if indeed you are gigging...an audience, two beers into your first set...ain't gonna give a rat's A$$ what kind of guitar you are playing! 

One NOTE: Frank at Imagine Guitars did tell me he would match any store's offer. So, if you have the opportunity to go through a higher end dealer or high end guitar shop, do it. If they carry a brand you like but perhaps only carry the high end stuff, ask if they would order you a guitar. Someone at this level will take care of you in the long run and will most likely know a or some good connectons/luthiers (or have some in house)  in the event you ever need work performed on your baby.

I wish I could give you more for each guitar...I was a bit overwhelmed and Frank was absolutely fantastic, patient and knew the brand. If you are ever in the Clearwater area, you can find his number on the Breedlove site - Imagine Guitars. Here is his site and every guitar on the following page he had for me to test and strum:
http://www.imagineguitars.com/guitars/b … uitars.htm

You can't go wrong!!!!

Hazen

Re: Guitar Review...sorta...WOW! (breedlove)

I have an Atlas Series Breedlove 6-string acoustic.  I love it!  From my perspective, if blew everything else to the side and stood up to be the best when I played it at Guitar Center along with some over-priced Martins, Taylors and Gibsons.  Breedlove makes good mid-priced guitars that most guitarists can afford and make better models that I can't afford, but are worth the extra cost, compared to the "other" popular brands.

Please now...no one bash me for saying that.  I really love Martins, Gibsons and Taylors.  I just think it comes down to what it always does....What you like and what you want!!

Damn it!  If I had a lot of $$$$, I would get the Martin!  Leave me alone!!!!

I envy you for your experience hazenk and wish I could have been along with you. wink

Bravo and thanks for sharing this really cool experience.

Rock on!!

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile