Topic: Wall mounted

When my guitar is not in use I hang it on the wall in one of those wall mounts you see in music stores.

I was wondering if this could do any long term damage to the neck of my guitar. Would a standard guitar stand be better?

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Re: Wall mounted

Hi Al,

I have one of these wall mounters too, I keep my 12 string on it. I dont know what your looks like but mine has big padded parts on it where the neck rests against it. I remember when I bought it it said it did not damage the guitar, but I think sometimes if it is sitting off centre a little for a long time would it put a slight strain on the neck and bow it a little, even if hard to see by the eye.
I used to have it down at least once a week but I think I have only had it down twice in 6 months.
So I am hoping it does no  damage.
The 6 sting I most often use is on a florr guitar stand as it is easier to have it next to my seat whenever I feel like picking it up and playing.

A guitar on a wall is better than a girly picture with lillies or roses on it, so my guitar is staying there ,lol.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I've had both my basses, a violin, and my electric mounted on wall mounts for several years and have not noticed any effects to playability or tunability.  I had my Ovation Magnum professionally set up when I had a new pickup installed, and there were no problems with the neck. 

Can't say it will never happen.  But I can say that my instruments seem to be no worse for wear.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks, Ken, Zurf,

I've not noticed any ill effects but I thought I'd ask just in case. I love that sexy little black number and the thought of doing her harm unintentionally makes me nauseous. hmm

I tihnk if yer using it a lot Al, it will be fine.
think of all those guitars in the shops that are haning for longer than yours or even mine would be hanging for.

Ken.

p.s.
I got a reply fro mmy complaint from rock steady security, they accpet they were wrong and I am getting a refund for my tickets, still doesnt mean I saw the alarm that night though sad but at least they accept fault and gave me an acceptable appology

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Good to hear, Ken. I assume you made a pig of yourself in China Buffet King across the road before you came in. lol

I have to admit that your mate's band were so loud that I thought my internal organs were going to turn to mush and run down my legs at one point. I could actually feel my trousers moving to the beat of the bass when I was standing completely still. LOUD!

Jings! I'm getting old.

You guys are making me hungry!!

Anywho...hanging your guitars on the wall via a wall hanger is the best thing you can do for them.  Although it may seem weird...it provides the most neck relief and secures your guitars in the natural position they want to be in.  I have all my guitars hanging on the wall and they stay in tune, don't get knocked over and look so damn cool hanging up there.  I highly recommend you hanging ALL your guitars on the wall with a wall hanger, rather than putting them in a floor stand of some kind.  Just make sure your wall hangers are "SAFE" for all finishes.  With that, you will be set to not only showcase your guitars, but to put them in the best place they can be!

Rock on.

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile

Wall hanging one's guitar is the best place for storing, so long as the wall on which it is hung is in a climate controlled room. Not too hot, not too cold, humidity controlled, and away from direct sunlight. These conditions can do severe harm to the finish of a guitar. Wall hanging the guitar keeps the neck straight and eliminates the potential for neck warping due to leaning the guitar against a wall or lying it down in an unsupportive case. Also make sure, real sure, that the hangers are securely place in the wall. Preferably into a stud(thick weight supporting lumber) or reenforced with sturdy plastic plugs. Finally, clips, or fasteners to secure the guitar at the top of the hanger are always a good idea.

Give everything but up.

I've been told that hanging is the best but to always hang them on interior walls. They have less temp change, etc...  Just a thought

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I don't want to be a messenger, but I was told, in 2 different guitar stores, that these things, to hang your guitar on the wall, can influence a GIBSON by causing a head stock crack.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Now that just sets off my paranoia. sad

gitaardocphil wrote:

I don't want to be a messenger, but I was told, in 2 different guitar stores, that these things, to hang your guitar on the wall, can influence a GIBSON by causing a head stock crack.

The main reason for this is due to accidental bumping into by staff or patrons. If you have your guitar hung in a low traffic area you should be fine. I would also strongly recommend a hanger that's padded where the head stock rests. The good absolutely outweighs the bad with wall hangers for your guitar.

Give everything but up.

Pphhhheeeewwwwww! smile