Re: Guitar Shopping - spendthrift or cheapskate!

Amen.

smile

Zurf wrote:

Come on now people.  We have these rules for a reason.  I'm not really sure what that reason is, but by golly they're rules.  You can't go around breaking them and not expecting it to cost you dearly. 

Don't pick up a guitar you can't afford.

Don't pick up a good quality guitar that will require you to learn a different style you don't already want to learn.

Don't jamm with other people in the shop if you don't have time to spare to join a band. 

:-)

- Zurf

How do you know if you don't try them. I would'nt buy a pair of shoes without trying them on, or buy a car and not test drive it! Ahhh its nice to dream eh.

Take Care...Badeye.

one caper after another

WeaserP wrote:

I know I could get skewered by some purists but take a look at Ovations.  If you can get by the plastic/round back thing, they're great guitars for the money.  IMHO, Martins, Taylors, and Gibsons are great guitars but there are others.  Takamine makes a great, reasonably priced guitar as well.  Play a lot of them and, if you're on a budget stay away from the McPhersons or anything on that level - there is a difference but you'll pay for it too.

Hey there Weaser, I was just thinking back, I mean way back in the 1970's. I saw a concert it was Jethro Tull. It was when they came out with the alblum Thick as a Brick. I don't know if you are familiar with this , but anyway The lead singer / flute player did an an acoustic part and he was playing an Ovation. I can distictly remeber how great that acoustic guitar sounded. I must admit that I kinda forgot how good an Ovation can sound.

what a long strange trip it's been

There have been a lot of headliners that use Ovations or Adamas's and I think what's notable is that, unlike many makers, Kaman doesn't pay their endorsees so, really, anyone you see playing with an Ovation, an Adamas or a Takamine is playing it because they appreciate the sound.  And they have some big time endorsees - Melissa Etheridge, Steve Lukather, Al DiMeola, Paul Simon, Yngwie, Toby Keith and others.  As I've said before, I like others too but I think a lot of people play one low end Ovation and discount the entire line for the name brand wood boxes (Taylor, Martin, Gibson, et al) and I think that's a mistake.

I just found out about the Gibson Dove ... ooohh nooooo! Help!
It's even more expensive. Anyone got one?

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

Huh.  I'm surprised to see Toby Keith endorsing anything without being paid for it.  Nothing against Toby Keith.  Just the opposite.  He's seemed like a solid business operator since coming onto the scene, and that's something I can respect.  Excepting his support of our military members of course.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

??

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

sumelton1 wrote:

??

WeaserP's post says Toby Keith is an unpaid endorser of Kaman brand guitars.  I was surprised by that. 

Sorry for the threadjack.  We'll go back to your Gibson addiction now.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

id go with the hummingbird, its pricey but man, what a great guitar. my main guitar is a takamine that cost me 500.00$. not the greatest not the pricest, but she does me justice

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I am also a "follower" of the fact: IT IS BETTER TO INVEST MORE $$$ IN A REAL GOOD GUITAR FROM A WELKNOWN BRAND.
I purchased some on eBay, had a problem with only 1 guitar: a 1964 Gibson Hummingbird: the top was not flat but ..., this is fixed now, a friend put a very small and light wooden structure inside the guitar to lift the top: plays like a dream. I was blessed in that way that I could spend money for guitars. I think my 2 top investments are: the PRS EG serie (3 different combinations) only made from 1990-1992, except for one: 1994. Search today for such a PRS EG US made, I don't see them anymore.
The second is a Fender Telecaster, custom shop reissue 1952, called California Beach, ugly pistache green and wasn't available in the US. I don't know why, Fender will give you the answer maybe AND the sound: never heard better.
If you buy, because a guitar is something you love and it has to go fast, buy immediately a top guitar, because if you spend 700$ for a "decent" guitar, but NOT your dream guitar, you will regret it and you end up finally avoiding more and more that guitar, asking yourself if..
I said I was lucky, but if you play both, electric and acoustic, I should buy a squier, or an Epiphone Special (199$) sounds real good, you can start and at the same time put some money aside to buy what you want.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: DIFFICULT TOPIC

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

After visiting all the local guitar stores, small and large, I went to a couple of pawn shops.  Here in Sacramento, there are at least two pawn shops that specialize in used instruments...I ended up buying a nice Takamine for about $225..he threw in a case and a strap and I also found a tuner and extra strings hidden in the case.  After I bought it, I went online to see if I had a deal...from what I gathered I probably saved myself at least $250 buy not buying used on ebay...  And in the pawn shops, of course you can test them all you want.