Topic: UK on a G-String

When not playing my guitar I do read a lot. I have just finished and enjoyed "UK on a G-String" by Justin Brown. It is about a New Zealander who loses a bet and has to go the UK with no cash and then earn the money to get home by door-to-door busking in the middle of winter. It is described as the 'adventures of the world's first and worst door-to-door busker'.

Well worth  a read if you get the chance.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: UK on a G-String

Which begs the question.................

What kinda books do all you guys like to read?

I always like a good murder!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I read also - just started "Quicksilver" by Neal Stephenson (1st of an 8-volume opus).  Also reading "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathon Swift with my son.  For fun I mostly read science fiction with some classics thrown in (can't really go wrong reading stuff that has stood the test of time).

Read with my 12-year old son almost every day - we read Phillip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' series recently (Golden Compass, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass) and are anxiously awaiting the movie of the first book this December.

Will also read some serious non-fiction occasionally (read "Gun, Germs, and Steel" a few months ago).  I am a big fan of our local libraries . . . checked out a tome recently entitled, 'The Stories of the Great Operas' thinking it would be a nice quick summary of story lines - turned out to something else, so that one was a 'don't finish' book.

Obviously, I love to read . . . always have at least a couple of books going.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

I dont read.

I have not got the patience to sit and read a book, I like watching films.

But I have read a couple of books.
the story of the rolling stones.
LOst in the woods   About the life of Syd Barrett, even if yer not into syd, this is a book that tells you a lot about the sixties and the london scene. superb book.

ermmm ,scottish history, I read quite a bit of that..

Errmm. I do read thinking of it ,lol ,just not a lot.
Biographies and history I like.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

alvee33 wrote:

Which begs the question.................

What kinda books do all you guys like to read?

I always like a good murder!

"YOUTH IN REVOLT"
By C.D. Payne

!!!AWESOME BOOK!!!

big_smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

"Why am I Agnostic"
by Clarence Darrow

Not that I am or not, that's irrelevant, it's very interesting and enlightening.

Give everything but up.

the templar revelation. great book. beats "holy blood Holy grail"

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

i think the last book i read was BFG by ronald darll that was my sons bedtime story

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Oh man, Books, well where to start..I read ALOT!! I tend to favor fantasy and horror but read a little of everything. My Favorite book is A Boys Life by Robert McCammon. Everyone should read this book at least once. It really reminded me of the magic of a youthful imagination..(makes you remember being a kid) I've read all of steven kings, Dean koontz, robert jordans, Brian Jacquees, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks and many more authors works. I like a good classic thrown in every once in awhile also. I've read the original tarzan, treasure island, Count of Monte Crisco.. In the last month or so...I'll stop there although I'm leaving out some of my favorites but there's just way to many to mention...Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

i read every once in a while if i get in the mood, and i can find something that interests me. Last year I read Johnny Cash's autobiography, which was pretty cool cuz he talks about alot of old country guys.
I read the Bible, but I don;t think that's really the same thing...

A good read is the Foxfire books, written by students who interviewed a bunch of old mountain peoples. Neat accounts of uses for woods and things, and folklore remedies are hilarious.
To cure spider bite they said you should drink strong liqour from 7:00 pm till morning,
for a sore throat your sposed to get a work boot that smells really funky and tie it around your neck sos you can smell it lol

All You Need is Love smile

Any john grisham or micheal crichton book. Also a bit of Matthew Reilly. At the moment I'm reading 'the rain maker' by john grisham and cant put it down. "His Dark Materials" is a really good trilogy.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

last_rebel wrote:

i read every once in a while if i get in the mood, and i can find something that interests me. Last year I read Johnny Cash's autobiography, which was pretty cool cuz he talks about alot of old country guys.
I read the Bible, but I don;t think that's really the same thing...

A good read is the Foxfire books, written by students who interviewed a bunch of old mountain peoples. Neat accounts of uses for woods and things, and folklore remedies are hilarious.
To cure spider bite they said you should drink strong liqour from 7:00 pm till morning,
for a sore throat your sposed to get a work boot that smells really funky and tie it around your neck sos you can smell it lol

i read his bio. too.  great book!!

Reverend Horton Heat

anything on history, i read more then i watch t.v. my problem is i read more then one book at once so my info gets a little muddled (is that a word?)

Reverend Horton Heat

I read a tremendous volume of books. In fact, I read so much that it's actually too the detriment of guitar practise. sad

The last couple of books I have been reading are; Ian Rankin - Rebus; Exit Music.  David Fraser - A life of Field Marshall Erwin Rommel, and a couple of books on fly fishing (my latest hobby), and a rather lenghty one regarding the history of the Knights Templar. That particular one being an extremely difficult piece of work to get my head around!

I've read quite a few instructional books on guitar as well, the latest being Chords and Scales the complete theory.

History of the ancient world, trashy 'whodunnit' novels, Biographies.....if it has words then I'll be tempted to pick it up.

But a word of caution. Don't believe everything you read! smile

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

Craig,

You are not reading Fly Fishing by J R Hartley are you?

David

Gutar Player, Singer, Entertainer  - At least in my own mind.

Upyerkilt, concerning "reading" we are similar.
1/ when I read, I am reading diagonal, when still at the university, THAT was my salvation, I was able to read and learn about 200 pages a day, and remember them.
2/ I am more a DVD watcher, BECAUSE IT IS AS MY MIND IS ABSORBING THINGS without doing an effort. Reading: I am too lazy, Movie: my mind clears up completely and it's so relaxing.
3/ What I do read are magazines, 1 to see all the gossip, and 2 magazines about guitar.

GITAARDOCPHIL SINGS: I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

David,

No, I'm not reading that one. lol   But I'll tell ye what, the fishery I'm just back from has a copy of it in the cabin!!  lol  Maybe I'll take a wee sneaky peek at it. smile

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

I also love books.
Per Me ould Segosha! are you reading this? Chordie has nearly taken over my reading space! My own fault i suppose for not prioritizing.. I tend to read all kinds of books,
Just finished "Thoses Are Real Bullets Aren't They? Peter Pringle& Phillip Jacobson. About Bloody Sunday In Derry 1972.
Love Tom Sharpe, Read "Porterhouse Blue" in the early 70's. and was hooked on his quirkyness.
I just read on Hols, "Sold Into Marriage" Sean Boyne... True Story about 16 year Girl sold by her father to an elderly Farmer, for money, a Morris Minor
Car and land. in Ireland in the early 70's.  By the end of this read, i would
cheerfully have hung Father and Farmer, by the Gonads from the highest
rafter.
My bed one's at the mo, is a lovely old book i picked up in a junk shop recently.
A Fishermans Methods and Memories "Walter H Barrett. Any one here who
likes Fishing would love this. always beside my bed is my National Geographic.
My next one is Hitler's Prisioners"Eric Friedrich and Renate Vanegas.
I recently recieved the gift of "I,ooo Albums to listen to before you Die."
"Ah holy God thats a moxey lot of..{ Plenty}. No work today, so will i write, read or guitar practice. hmmmmmmm. A wee bit of everything.

Slán

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hi

Have been reading all my life never been without a book .
Generally I will read any book that takes my fancy. Books made into films are usually a good read.
Good film usually equates to a better book.
Some that stick in my mind…

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest…...Ken Kesey
To kill a Mocking Bird…….Harper Lee
Cider House Rules……. John Irving
Band of Brothers………Stephen Ambrose
Caine Mutiny………Herman Wouk.
The list could go on.
Just finished Blackhawk Down  Mark Bowden.

Arkady

Following on from my new song "Fantasy" I had better explain the I do read mostly SciFi, SciFan and Thrillers. Fantasy is my favourite grenre but I do have a problem in so much as once I have read a book by an author I like I have to read everything that they have ever written, sad ain't it. Here is a little about the authors that my song is about.

Anne McCaffery an American author who now lives in Ireland has several subjects for her writings but she is probably most famous for her Dragonrider series set on the planet Pern. The dragon riders have telepathic contact with their dragon and periodically, they have to destroy 'Thread' a worm like creature that burns and consumes anything green, making the land unusable. The dragons have the abilty to teleport themselves from one place to another. The sensation for the riders is the cold nothingness of what is called 'Between'.

The late Marion Zimmer Bradley is also American and her most famous series is set on the fourth planet out from the Cottoman sun, Cottoman 1V, more commonly known as Darkover. After an exploritory spaceship crash landed and was lost, the survivors obtained various mind powers which were bred in certain families. It was generations later that they were found and by then the memory of their origins were forgotten, powers were strong and unique society had been formed.

J.R.R.Tolkein an Englishman, needs no introduction as the author of "The Hobbit "and "The Lord Of The Rings".

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"