1 (edited by ridgerunner 2007-09-16 20:37:44)

Topic: New Amplifier

I Had the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w 1x10 Guitar Combo Amp for 4 days and it started making cracking noise, then a hum, and then it popped. Turn it off as fast as i good and you could smell the electronics (tubes) or whatever.

I bought it from Music 123 and called the customer service today (Sunday) and talked to a live person (Jason) and he sent me a return UPS postage to send it back, as least they seem to stand behind their products. Will let you know how fast and how it goes with the new one. This really sucks since this is my first amp and I'm just a beginner.

Re: New Amplifier

Too bad, I have two amps there the same, MARSHALL JCM900 SL-X never made noise but on the other side they take lot of room and they are heavy but in a band like mine I need em

ridgerunner wrote:

I Had the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w 1x10 Guitar Combo Amp for 4 days and it started making cracking noise, then a hum, and then it popped. Turn it off as fast as i good and you could smell the electronics (tubes) or whatever.

I bought it from Music 123 and called the customer service today (Sunday) and talked to a live person (Jason) and he sent me a return UPS postage to send it back, as least they seem to stand behind their products. Will let you know how fast and how it goes with the new one. This really sucks since this is my first amp and I'm just a beginner.

Sound like you may have just gotten a "dud". I've had mine( VoxAD15) for over a year and play it daily. I've yet to have any sort of problem at all. Music 123 is great for making "wrongs right." Best of luck with your replacement. Those things happen sometimes, don't get discouraged.

Best Regards,
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

I also have a VOX Valvetronix 30VT.

I have found that a decent lead is required for this amp.
Cheap badly shielded leads always create unwelcome humming noises.

regards

David

acmecorp wrote:

I also have a VOX Valvetronix 30VT.

I have found that a decent lead is required for this amp.
Cheap badly shielded leads always create unwelcome humming noises.

regards

David

Hey David,
Pardon my ignorance but what is a lead?  I am looking at this amp as a replacement for the starter amp that I am currently learning on.  I don't want to spend money on it however if it has a lot of bugs that will require it spending more time in the shop than in my house.
Thanks,
Jim

Sorry, I was probably using a British term, maybe you say cable or cord, anyway to avoid confusion the length of wire that connects your guitar to the amp.

cheers

David

It didn't just make a noise it popped and cracked like firecracker. You could smell the electronics heating up and  i shut it down asap. I'm suppose to get another one in a couple of days, hopefully i'll have better luck with the new one.

Sounds like valve problem to me, they probably sold you a dud with a bad valve/tube.

A replacement should sort things out.

Let me know how it goes

cheers

David

I agree....DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!!!

As cool as tube amps are, they play by the rules of electronics.  Sometimes
you get a dud.  It's probably a tube that has a short or a "fusion" issue.  I
bet when they get it fixed, it will ROCK and deliver that Creamy, rich sound
you want.

Tube amps rule, although I use a solid state, I have played through tube amps
and they ROCK the WALLS!  Hang in there and things will get better.

VOX makes good s**t.  And they WILL stand behind their products.  They will
get it fixed and you will be happy.  I just about guarantee it.

Hang in there, my brother.

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile