Topic: Changing Strings

How do you know when it's time to change strings? Also, any tricks to changes strings (a 6-string).  As you can tell, I'm new at this.  Thanks.

Re: Changing Strings

it depends how much you play

I play half and hour a day and change them at Christmas. I should probably change them more ( but then again I should probably practice more...) 

after a while they become dull sounding and difficult to tune

haha left my old acoustic in a corner for a year, came back, tried to tune it and snapped a string... i say change em about every 6 months.

::kori::

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

If you are just playing for yourself change them when they break. If you play a lot of gigs then you might want to change them once a month. After using them for a while they get clogged up with dirt and oil from your fingers and they lose their tone quality.

I change mine every two months to keep the sound nice and clean.

Eddie

Welcome to Chordie Pat. A few helpful tips for you;

When your strings don't sound as nice as  you're acustom to, change them.
When you're having more than the normal amount of difficulty tuning your guitar, change your strings.
Wipe your strings down with a lint free cloth after each session. Wipe the face and underside of the strings. This will greatly expand the life of your strings.

Also, with a finely sharpened pencil, coat the nut and bridge with pencil lead. Do this when you're changing your strings. This creates a smoother gliding surface and reduces "pinging" or strings sticking to the nut.

Finally, buy yourself some extra strings to keep in reserve. Nothing sucks worse than getting a good jam going and breaking a string for which you don't have a replacement. You can buy individual strings or simply but several full packs. Most music stores will give discounts for 3 or more packs of strings purchased together. Hope this was helpful.

Boogie on Down Pat Brown...........

Give everything but up.

I suppose that I play something like 20 hours per week.  I can tell when my strings need changing because the sound because dull and volume is lost.  I change mine every month and i buy 5 sets at once online at £20.  Not exactly a major expence if you want to sound good (as good as you can anyway!).

7 (edited by bluesfreek 2007-11-06 01:29:47)

I've also heard to change one string at a time , starting with the bass E string , to maintain string relief of the guitar.

Here's a great demo on changing strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFdztTN9Z2Y

It used to take me ages until I watched this.

I use Elixir which are a bit more expensive but definitely last much longer.

Yeah, and don't buy a floyd rose cause they are a severe pain!

I'm the son of rage and love