Topic: Has anyone tried these guitars?

I've got a LP style guitar that's made of the same wood as the real ones, cost about £80 inc. case, and i'm looking for a good-quality single-coil for about the same price.
I've seen these companies that make fender-style guitars out of the proper wood (alder & maple), can anyone tell me if they are any good? I mean someone who has actually played one.

G2 by Stagg.
I've seen a few of these on ebay (uk version), they're made of the same materials as proper fenders (alder body, maple neck), but they cost about £80.

Wesley Guitars.
I'm looking at the San-diego version, alder & maple, £89.99.
The website is www.wesleyguitars.co.uk.

Have any of you played one of these guitars? Are they worth the money?

Re: Has anyone tried these guitars?

I almost bought their silverburst guitar. But they're in England and that is sooo far away.

Then I found out about ROndomusic and AGILE.
If you're stateside, you can get a much better guitar for around the same price as WESLEY.
Check them out.
http://www.rondomusic.net
I have the AL-2000 Silverburst and it's soooooooo awesome!!!
http://www.rondomusic.net/al2000slvr.html

They also have a forum if you would like to check out reviews from owners and pictures too!
http://www.agileguitarforum.com/

Have fun choosing!

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

3 (edited by Tibernius 2007-10-08 12:57:11)

Thanks for the link Dm.

The Rondomusic guitars look good, but I think the p&p would be a bit high to the UK.
Although with the current exchange rate, it might be cheaper to buy one and have it shipped than buy a wesley!

Anyone know if the SX SST57 LPB at rondomusic is any good?

Hi Tibernius, I wrote some topics about:
- acoustic and affordable good guitars.
- electric guitars: same
I included price ranges, you should check these topics. So one of the electric guitars was an epiphone sg classic versus an epiphone sg, classic 199€ the other 299€. I would go for the cheaper, I played it and (it is subjective) preferred the 199€.
I have probably 25 guitars now, it started stupid, and I had some real luck with my "collection", but since on chordie, I have all the time, I am searching for real good low priced guitars.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

5 (edited by Detman101 2007-10-08 13:30:26)

Tibernius wrote:

Thanks for the link Dm.

The Rondomusic guitars look good, but I think the p&p would be a bit high to the UK.
Although with the current exchange rate, it might be cheaper to buy one and have it shipped than buy a wesley!

Ah ha!! So you ARE in the UK!!!
Well, since I now know that as a fact, you may want to go with the wesley guitars if you're impatient like me.
But I only say that because I'm one of the most impatient people in this world.
I couldn't possibly wait 2+ weeks for my axe to arrive. I stand by the quality of Agile Guitars but the wait would positively kill me.

EDIT: Oh, another thing about the Wesley Guitars is that you won't get quality Pick-ups or Tuners with the guitar.
It is also still unknown what wood they make their guitars from.

Good luck,

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

6 (edited by Tibernius 2007-10-09 18:20:01)

Detman101 wrote:
Tibernius wrote:

Thanks for the link Dm.

Ah ha!! So you ARE in the UK!!!
Well, since I now know that as a fact, you may want to go with the wesley guitars if you're impatient like me.
But I only say that because I'm one of the most impatient people in this world.
I couldn't possibly wait 2+ weeks for my axe to arrive. I stand by the quality of Agile Guitars but the wait would positively kill me.

EDIT: Oh, another thing about the Wesley Guitars is that you won't get quality Pick-ups or Tuners with the guitar.
It is also still unknown what wood they make their guitars from.

Good luck,

Dm

The San Diego is Alder body and Maple neck, it says the wood on the features list for each guitar (or at least it does for the San Diego). The T-Surf is Basswood with a Maple neck.
It also says that the tuners are Klusen, anyone heard of them before?

P.S. The LP that I've got (I'm sure I mentioned it somewhere) is IDENTICAL to the
Wesley Phoenix Vintage Mint Cream, except it's black and it doesn't have a logo on the head.
The tuners on it are OK, so are the Pickups, but since I moved up from a 12-year-old Encore Single-humbucker Strat-Shaped that my parents got me, they probably would seem good!

gitaardocphil wrote:

Hi Tibernius, I wrote some topics about:
- acoustic and affordable good guitars.
- electric guitars: same
I included price ranges, you should check these topics. So one of the electric guitars was an epiphone sg classic versus an epiphone sg, classic 199€ the other 299€. I would go for the cheaper, I played it and (it is subjective) preferred the 199€.
I have probably 25 guitars now, it started stupid, and I had some real luck with my "collection", but since on chordie, I have all the time, I am searching for real good low priced guitars.

I don't know how much the postage would be (if you are thinking of buying) , but try the UK version of ebay. Have a look for any guitars that are "G2 by Stagg". About £90 each and made of alder and maple.
Since you obviously know more about guitars than I do, you might be able to tell whether they are any good just by the item description.

Also, have you seen the Wesley San Diego? What do you think?
The url is www.wesleyguitars.co.uk.

Personally, I wouldn't go with Stagg. Have you looked at Vintage? A little more expensive but made with quality woods and hardware (hardware all Wilkinson - look him up on Google). IMO, any sub-£100 guitar is going to be a bad buy - cheap PUPs, machine heads, whammy bars - everything. You are also more likely to find poor finishing on the frets and that is going to be painful. Spend a litttle more (I'm talking £150 ish) and you will get a much better guitar that will last you. One thing, cheap single coil PUPs SCREECH if you add distortion / OD - and not in a good way. Last thing, try before you buy, especially on low-end guitars: the difference between one and another of the same make can be staggering.

No desire to touch the fire,
It's just a...just a sad obsession.

Rubbersoul wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't go with Stagg. Have you looked at Vintage?

I was having a look at the Vintage guitars a while back, read a bit about wilkinson. I have a little trouble with trying guitars because I live in north wales, it's a 1+1/2 hour drive to the nearest guitar shop. And they mainly sell ibanez.

Do Vintage make a Jaguar/Mustang copy with single coil pickups? And do you know anywhere in the UK you can get Vintage guitars?

Here's the website:

http://www.jhs.co.uk/guitar.htm

I don't think they do a Jag but they copy most others. My first decent axe was their LP copy the V100TSB and I still play it today. It's obviously not a Gibby bt I paid £169 for it so I can't complain. Expecially good beginner guitars.

They sell all over the UK - there's a supplier list on the website. I know you're pretty far from a music store but if it's a good one, go there and stay all day. try everything in your price range and get what sounds and feels good. As I said in my previous post, low end guitars are notorius for inconsistency in quality and, even though I recommend the Vintage brand, I'm sure they produce the odd turkey. I know guys who have ordered high-end guitars on the web only to be very disappointed.

Rubbersoul (Beatle Fan?) I have a friend who owns a STAGG, a fender telecaster clone.
I have a rare pistache green Fender Telecaster California Beach(CB) a reissue of a 1952 Telecaster. Why rare, because the CB Telecaster was only for the European Market. There are maybe US telecaster fans, having this guitar, because of having family here, or maybe eBay. I never found why they were only for the European market (a stratocaster included). The sound is heavenly.
Probably this is supposed to be a very expensive guitar (again the passion to play and an investment.
About STAGG, I played it a few times, and the sound was pretty good. I don't know if the body is made of 1 piece, the sound wasn't that bad as a lot of people write. Using the Stagg on my Fender Cybertwin, all effects and a lot of Fender amps on board+playing it loud, they sound better. I believe that there is something with that guitar. I got a few times serious feedback.
CONCLUSION: not bad, but definitely not good.
There are better guitars, more low budget guitars. Epiphone?. I went to the music store 2 months ago, with the "stagg guy" he was looking around because he wanted to buy an Epiphone.
I played on the SG special, also the cheapest, but the sound was a lot better compared to the G-400 epiphone almost double in price. Personal taste: SG special
Detman wrote: I'm one of the most impatient people in this world.
I recognised myself 100%, I was also very impatient. Take a Plasma screen 52", I HAD TO BUY IT, money or not. Speaking of guitars, being impatient can be "dangerous". When you see a friend playing on a Gibson SG, and you purchased an Epiphone SG, you will "suffer". It is worth to wait and save your money. here are a few real affordable Gibsons and now I can say, that with a little budget, you are able to have some nice guitars.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

Rubbersoul (Beatle Fan?) I have a friend who owns a STAGG, a fender telecaster clone.
I believe that there is something with that guitar. I got a few times serious feedback.
CONCLUSION: not bad, but definitely not good.

What would you recommend in terms of a tele clone? I was looking at the stagg version.

Vintage again. Or Squier - they have a bad name but you can get lucky.

The feedback gitaardocphil mentions on the Stagg - thats cheap, nasty pickups. If you have inferior single coils (doesn't happen so much with humbuckers) as soon as you put distortion or overdrive on at volume they scream. Really horrible.

How about Hodson?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hodson-SurfCat-Ja … dZViewItem

They're made of the right wood, but are they decent quality?

There are some videos on the wesley website showing the san diego:

http://www.wesleyguitars.co.uk/storefro … =236208633

Sounds alright to me, but I think that might have something to do with the guitarist!

Do Wesley guitars and Stagg guitars come out of the same factory, ?

henryb wrote:

Do Wesley guitars and Stagg guitars come out of the same factory, ?

Don't think so, but most "budget" guitars are so similar it's hard to tell.

Yes its not compulsory that all guitars of same budget are of same quality too,  so be careful

BMI calculator

I have been thinking of buying an electric guitar, for the first time, and have been offered an RKS wave at, what appears to be, a very good price. I havent seen them mentioned on the forum before, can anybody tell me anything about them please?