Topic: F chord troubles

ok....so i'm having some problems with the F chord

when i try to get my fingers in the right position my pointer always gets all weird and like bends to the side so it "chokes" the strings and it makes it impossible to make a half way decent sound

any tips on how to play the "F"?

Re: F chord troubles

You might want to tell us how you are holding the chord now! 

There are two ways to hold the F chord.  One, is to barre all strings at the first fret with your index finger, then hold the remaining stings like an E chord.

The second way is to hold both the 1st and 2nd strings at the first fret with your index finger.  Then, hold the 3rd, 4th, and 5th stings with your remaining fingers. 

Note: some folks do leave the 5th string open and play only the first four strings. 

For me, I use both methods, whichever is easier for me to transition to the next chord.  Bottomline is practice, practice and practice!

Good luck!

yeah i hold it with barring the first fret and holding the rest like an E

but i think i might be trying the second way....but two question.....are you saying first string as the biggest string or the smallest?  and two....which fret would your 3rd, 4th, and 5th fingers be on?

thanks for the advice (seeing as i just started guitar this year)

I've found that if I roll my index finger to the side a little when barring it helps keep that finger straight.

The first string is always the thinnest, most bottom string or high E string.  The 6th is also a E string, but called a low E. 

About your second question, once your index finger covers the first and second strings, the other fingers are placed as follow:

3rd string - Middle finger (2nd fret)

4th string - Ring finger or Pinky finger (3rd fret)

(Note: use a pinky to hold the 4th string if you plan to hold the 5th string)

5th string - Ring finger (3rd fret). This string is optional.  You can still play this chord with the first four strings.

You can also checkout this chord in the chord chart under the resources tab on the Chordie.com main page. 

Have fun playing!

Kahuna

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText"><b>krames11 wrote on Mon, 28 August 2006 23&#58;39</b></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
yeah i hold it with barring the first fret and holding the rest like an E

but i think i might be trying the second way....but two question.....are you saying first string as the biggest string or the smallest?  and two....which fret would your 3rd, 4th, and 5th fingers be on?

thanks for the advice (seeing as i just started guitar this year)
</td></tr></table>

thanks kahuna...i tried that second way of the F and i think it sounds great

the main point in an F, or any bar chord, is to use the side of ur index finger, not the fleshy part.  its a lot easier once you play so many bar chords your finger caluses.  but be careful, if ur a begginer ur fingers can uncalus, and u hav to start over again!!

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

I'm giving you one tip: Practice, practice, practice.

When I was learning to play, I thought I was never gonna learn to do barre chords. After 3-4 weeks I could use barre without any problems

My guitar teacher told me to keep my thumb down the center of the neck, and it works. I know a lot of people hate this chord, but once you get it, it gets easier to play. Good luck.