Topic: Copying to Word

New member here, so redirect me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I discovered Chordie a few years ago and loved it.  The transpose and alt instrument chord feature are trick.

I used to copy and paste songs into Word and liked the fact that while in the web browser the chords appeared above the lyrics, in Word they where interspersed with them. This took up less lines on the page allowing me to use a larger font an still get the complete song on one page, making it easier to use when cheating at a gig. Recently your format has changed and now chords and lyrics copy into Word in table form. Is there anyway to copy the song in the old format?

Re: Copying to Word

PS where do I find the "User's Handbook" for the site/forum?

Hi SleepyCreeker,

Welcome to Chordie. If you save the song as plain text (.txt) and not as a document (.doc) it will have the chords in the lyric as you wish but without the square bracket I am afraid.

I hope that helps,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I have now fixed this so it should be possible to copy to openoffice as well. The table-format is really a feature not a bug..:-)

If you look at the source (View-source), and search for "printsong", you will find that the chopro-format is available here (chords in brackets).

I might make it possible to copy this to the clipboard, but I am a bit reluctant to add another button that is hard to understand for 99% of the chordie users. Any idea about how to implement this?

The user handbook is still being prepared. I just have too much to do. If anybody will start it, I will complete it and publish it...:-)

hey admin, is there something i could do to help?

selso

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Wow thanks for the quick response. I'll try it.

The brackets are actually helpfull. I use them with the search/replace feature to find the chords and change their color/font/size.

How about starting a thread to collect items for the handbook then have someone collect and organize them?

Thanks Admin, that worked like a charm.

i'm with sleepycreeker.  i'm really unhappy with this new format.  it used to be great to just copy and paste to word.  i'm afraid i don't understand the new instructions you've given, because i can't copy and past to word and have it come out right.  the table format is not really that great of a feature.

On the right side of the song page underneath the "Ads by Google" and the "Rate this song" button there is a button that says "Source" Original Song....

If you click on the Original Song button you will be able to copy/paste to word with no problems whatsoever.

Oh...and BTW...I like the format, it makes for easy printing right from the page without having to cut/paste.
But...to each his own.

thanks to kmajors, but this did not solve my problem.  i would like to see it come out the wahy it used to, with the chords bracketed withing the lines.  was easy to read and adjust font sizes.  most songs fit well on one page.  this is no good.  who went ahead and fixed something that wasn't broken?  why?  can it be fixed back?

can i ask something?? what is the use of coping into word anyway? if i want to print a song, i highlight what i want printed, then click print selected.... if i want to send a song to someone, i just send them the url... if i want to keep the songs all in the same place, i put them in my songbook... and there is something on the page to change the size of the font if i need to....just wondering why y'all need to put these into word???? in the past i did try to paste them into word, and it just didn't work, so i gave up and made myself a chordie account smile

I'm a side man to a guy that has a 400+ song repetoire. No way I can memorize all of them. I play dobro and have to look at the neck now and then (no frets). I like to customize the printout to make it easier to play. I expand the margins and use a large font with the chords in a larger font and different color. This makes it easier to find my place when I look back to the page.

I've also started playing mandolin and being able to copy and paste the mando chord paterns is great help too.

Have you tried the build in print function? Try pressing the print icon on the right hand side. This will let you adjust the text size, and also move the grids around.

Pressing first "the print button" - adjusting the size - and then choosing "print preview" in your browser will let you do all the things above without copying anything to word.

It is possible for me (fairly easy) to make it possible to copy the old chord format. Just making sure that this is really what people want me to do (and that it cant be fixed by improving the print instead)

I'm quite new here, and a was also looking for the old chord format. I think a lot of users would appreciate it.

but anyway, I have to tell you, this is by far the best chords site I found on the web!

OK. I could add a chopro-format button. I will then replace the "mail song" button. You can always mail urls. Does this sound like a good solution?

yes, i think this would be a good solution.

funtimesman...  you've posted the same question in three different threads.  It is not necessary to continue asking the same question in more than one location.  Please be patient and someone may be able to help you.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks Amy,

I have deleted the unwanted posts.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"