1 (edited by last_rebel 2007-10-10 18:36:32)

Topic: greatest american artists??

When you think about music some pretty big names come up as being succesful and well known internationally (the beatles, the stones, for example). a lot of these seem to come from Europe... so the topic is, who do yall think is the most influencial musician (or band) that was from and based mainly in America?
   guys like BB King, Hank Williams, and even bands I like, (CCR, and Skynyrd, for instance), were awesome, but are they as globally recognized as somebody like The Beatles, or the Rolling Stones, or even AcDc. EVERYBODY knows who the Beatles are, but if you were to go somewhere in Europe would American legends like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, or Muddy Waters be as well known??
I guess everybody knows who Elvis is of course....

All You Need is Love smile

Re: greatest american artists??

If someone was to ask me this and I never had time to think, I would have to say

The Eagles.
Elvis ( like you said)
Metallica ( might not be totally original but totally great and influenced so many bands)
iggy pop?? ( is he american or does he just sound like one now?)

well, theres a few

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

There's almost an infinte amount but the ones that come to mind immediately are;
Robert Johnson
Willie Nelson
John Prine
Bob Dylan
James Taylor
Les Paul
Chet Atkins
Lucinda Williams
Wes Montgomery

geeze...I could go on all day!!!!!!!!!

Give everything but up.

Hi last Rebel,
Although we are a small Island and our music is Traditional.
We were and are still heavely influenced with  American C /W.
Also the folk scene here was very much based on American Singers.
I  also had Albums of Diana Ross, Drifters, Four tops, Tammy Wynette, Foundations, Dione Warwick.
Dolly, Linda Ronstadt. Hank, Croce, Young Gosh so many to numerous to mention.
I also sang a song way back " Now That The Buffalo's Gone" Buffy ST Marie!
I think she was an Indian Lady. I often did wonder what happened to her.
People always asked me about that song, after i sung it. Back then i had the voice to do so. I also loved " The first time ever i saw your Face" Cannot remember who sang that one at the time.
Sure God love, your to young to remember most of these
but yes! we knew lots of your great artist.

Slán

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

haha, well some of it yes, but Hank doesn't go out of style in texas smile
Don't know who sang 'the first time ever i saw your face' originally, but i have Johnny Cash's American Highway (IV or V), with him singing it so I know the song.

"Ths First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" was by Roberta Flack,
a singer from USA.

one caper after another

Badeye!
You are so right! How could i have forgotten that, I love her Singing.

Hope life is good for you?

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Nirvana! They haven't mentioned Pearl Jam or Soundgarden either!

You have a point there last_rebel, except for Johnny Cash, the people you mentioned are more "famous" if you are a music lover. I know a lot of US musicians, but most of them are more or less popular too. About Hank Williams, and probably a lot of others, I am only familiar with the name and not the music. But the more I see and read here, the more I look to find some of their songs.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Well here's some good Hank Williams ones to look for, if you need titles:

You Win Again

The Lost Highway

Ramblin' Man

Jambalaya

Move it On Over

He's actually a good writer, and if you can ever get a hold of something besides 'Hey Good Lookin' (which is a good song, not knocking it by the way but its kind of like AC/DC and 'highway to hell', just because you know that song doesn't really mean you know anything at all about the bad). "Weary blues from waitin'" "The Lost Highway" "I heard that Lonesome Whistle"... just some of my favs.
Its the 'legend of Hank Williams that really makes him such an icon (he was famous, but nearly as much as now untill he died) He was born in Alabama with spinebifeda, learned to play guitar from an old blues player name Rufus Payne, AKA 'tee-tot', so he had an appreciation for the style. He married Ms. Audry, and had a son, but partly because of his back pains, and the mysterious heart ache (no-one really knows WHO he was singing about in all them sad songs) he took to drinking, got addicted to his pain medicine, and died in the back of his cadillac on the way back to montgomery after an unsuccesful surgery. Long before he ever  became 'famous' he did tours all over the south with his band 'The Driftin' Cowboys', and them coming to town was a pretty big deal back in the day. He also had an alter ego fo sorts called Luke the Drifter under which (in great contrast with the honky tonkin' songs he wrote as Hank Williams) he wrote and sang a long list of gospel songs.
Because of his short life and unexpected death, the great contradictions of his character, and the ramblin' man persona, he became sort of a tall tale type hero. Someone once said that 'The legend far exceeded the man', but in spite of all that he was a good writer and singer.....
And anyway I've babbled way too long, but maybe that satisfied some curiosity. lm Srry for it being so lengthy, I'm sure you weren't THAT interested lol

One question, what do you mean by greatest american artists?
- Quality: passion, soul, living for their music?
- Quantity: Hi boss, how many albums did we sell today?

The greatest American Artists, is for me, and probably to all European Chordians, a very interesting topic, and I do what I always do, check the artist and try to find a song. I learned already a lot doing it this way.
A topic about Europe's greatest artists can (I DO HOPE) learn you about them and their music.
To be continued....

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Ok I am showing my age again with some of these but what about:

The Everly Brothers
Mamas and Papas
Simon and Garfunkel
Peter, Paul and Mary
John Denver
Glen Campbell
Buddy Holly
Roy Orbison

All greats and certainly musical influences for me.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Chuck Berry, very influential in rock guitar playing.

well doc phil i think what i meant was the best known on a global scale, which american artists have achieved the most international fame... and then it is a two fold question on opinion who was the best...
To me there are quite a few country guys i love (Hank and Cash and Willie and Waylon to name a few), but are they as famous in other places as here??

huddie ledbetter, guy davis, townes van zandt, willie dixon, marty robbins, robert johnson, los lobos,

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Not to mention Springsteen, Grateful Dead, Tom Petty and Tom Rush and Harry Chapin....

I'm the son of rage and love

Jimi Hendrix anyone? He was famous in London before America even though he's an American

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Back in the late 50's an American artist :Sonny Boy Williamson ventured of to europe and recorded two records with The Animals. Also in the mid sixties two artists did the same. Muddy Waters and Chester Burnett aka. Howlin Wolf
did a recording in London. The album is known as "Muddy and The Wolf" It's a battle of the blues and is great listening.
  Muddy's bandmates were; Otis Span, Mike Bloomfield,Paul
Butterfield,Donald Dunn, Sam Lay, Jeff  Carp,andPhil Upchurch, all Americans.   In Howlin Wolfs band were Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Hubert Sumlin, Jeff Capp, Ian Stewart. Waters and Burnett were well known in the USA at the time and tested the water in Europe and were succesful. Clapton and Burnett have some banter on the recording and it's Burnett teaching Clapton about a little slide trick on the guitar. If you can find the CD
I highly recomend you buy it as it has some great listening
of two great blues artist from the USA.

Take Care.

one caper after another

19 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-03 04:51:01)

I know this is an old post, and probably forgotten about, along with a lot of the other "who was the best" threads, but I thought this one was interesting.

It began asking about the most "influential" which, to me, brings up an entirely different set than "most famous".

I was surprised to see that Neil Young and Bob Dylan were not mentioned here...

(I looked again, and did see Bob Dylan listed once, sorry.)

These two, along with John Denver, were, in my humble estimation, among the most influential artists of their times. Not necessarily for the songs they recorded, but for the music they wrote which is often credited to other artists (Peter, Paul, and Mary come to mind because they were mentioned before) because they made the songs popular.

On another note, I saw that Guy Davis was also mentioned here. While I am a huge fan of his, I really don't know if he could be said to have influenced a lot of music. I rather think of him as an artist of tribute to some of the pioneers in blues like Robert Johnson and Son House. Guy once said that he never picked cotton, but he listened to a lot of cotton pickers growing up, and I think he is doing a tremendous job of carrying on their traditions.

good thread. made me think a little smile

Just play

Oldnewbie ,
Neil Young is Canadian.................

Give everything but up.

Thanks for bringing this old thread new life oldnewbie. I know Ray Charles won't get much respect on this guitar themed site, but IMO he was definitely one of the elite great American artists.

"With his recording of 'I Can't Stop Loving You', Ray Charles did more for country music than any other artist" - Willie Nelson

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Yeah, I know he is from Canadia, I guess I lost the point of the thread...

but he does own property in Montana (I think), and he is a "North American" as opposed to a European?

(I'm reaching here, I know...)

Show the father of grunge some love!  smile

Just play

23 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-03 07:06:29)

Topdown... I have to agree. The blues created what is now thought of as "American music", and Ray Charles (along with a bunch of others) really brought the blues to the forefront. Listen to the "Crying Time" album to hear how some of our popular country hits sounded before they were "country".

Just play

Brownie MaGhee sang it best " The Blues had a baby and the whole world called it Rock and Roll".

... Badeye.

one caper after another

Hi

The say Texan Buddy Holly was my major early influence back in the fifties when I was a teenager trying to play rock and roll.  Even today my all-time favourite is Peggy Sue.  He is still in the top 100 artists of all time.

I was lucky enough to see Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, The Crickets, Roy Orbison, Everly Brothers and others in the very early sixties.  These were my rock and roll influences.  But a couple of  other influences were blues singers Mississippi Fred McDowell with his slide guitar and Big Joe Williams with his 9 string guitar both of whom I have seen live.  FABULOUS