Topic: WHO PLAYS GUITAR WITH THE INTENTION TO BECOME FAMOUS

TRICKY QUESTION.
My opinion is that MOST of people start to play guitar for 2 reasons.
- you love the guitar and playing on it, but just as hobby.
- you play guitar because you are convinced to become famous.
It is an ugly topic, because I started playing guitar 30 years ago, and of course my dream was to become popular. I was already on MED  school, and until today I have that question.
There are SUPER hobby players, but they never get famous.
Will busking help you? Maybe, it takes courage to pick up your guitar and to play on the street alone or with a friend.

I know that a few people who posted a song on myspace or youtube became famous.
Who is here the "determinator"', see the man who didn't give the Beatles a contract, because he prefferred the Tremeloes. Can you blame him? I think NO.
Just play because you love to play, I saw groups, musicians in Nashville, Memphis and New Orleans, playing in bars, and at least 50% of them I would give them a contract. Isn't it there that the  problems start, you play since the beginning and some IDIOT tells you that you are to ugly to play in this band, or any reason.
WHAT CAUSES THE MAGIC see Lennon Mc Cartney or Jagger Richards?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: WHO PLAYS GUITAR WITH THE INTENTION TO BECOME FAMOUS

Just a hobby for me. I've just got to the stage where I'm happy to play in front of family and friends. Don't think you can beat a good struma-sing-a-long. Great fun.

Will I ever be famous? Ha ha. No chance. And no thanks.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I'm embarrassingly bad and will remain so for quite some time!  I would hate to be famous for that though!  I am now at the stage where I'm happy to play on my own with earplugs in lmao

x

I'm the son of rage and love

its pretty much just a hobby for me, but id love to be famous

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I play because I enjoy it.

So far I have been wildly successful at avoiding fame.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Well I'm not out to be famous by no means but I wouldn't feel right calling it a hobby either. I consider it more of a passion or a part of me. I know that sounds stupid...lol I play because it brings me joy and a since of accomplishment. It relaxes me...Pick up the guitar close my eyes, play and just drift with the music. Of course with my playing it's more like clinging to the raft in rapids...lol I've been playing for almost a year now and have no intentions of ever stopping. I've got a guitar in my hands at least 4hrs a day. I just wish I would have discovered the joy of it earlier in life...But as they say "It's never too late to be what you always wanted to be" I'm happy just to have the music, you can keep the fame...  Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I've no desire to be famous at all.

Rich, on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

8 (edited by upyerkilt 2007-10-08 21:11:17)

I know that I am not good enough to be famous but I dont think I would want to be either.
I do it for a hobby and to entertain small groups without being paid. I would even want paid, I do it all for fun.
BUT, I have to admit, when I was 13 and started playing the bass, upto I was about 18 or 19 I was thinking I could be famous, then reality struck hard ,lol.
Good thing is I accepted it quickly, probably because I knew I wouldnt be.
Having a dream at an early age like that is good for the soul, it keeps you going, gives you confindence, get the opposite sex attracted to you which was not a bad thing,lol

But i thin kI would like to hear any of my songs become famous by someone else. Thats why I will let anyone use my songs. I dont even care about the royalties ,lol.
Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

My two favorite things to do in life is;1) spend time with my family and,2)play music , in that order. I'm fortunate enough to play music professionally and support my family. Granted I'm as small time as it gets in this business but that means no traveling too far away from home. Which equates to more quality time spent with my family. My children think I'm some hot shot guitarist who sings pretty good and plays lots of different instruments. Many people say the ultimate compliment is to have the respect  and admiration of one's peers. I disagree, the ultimate compliment to me is to have the respect  and admiration of my family. So in this sense of the word I've attained fame in the here and now.

Give everything but up.

Mine is all about total relaxation. Doc.

At my age it was never about fame.

I dont play in front of strangers, just friends and family.

So glad im not earning my keep with it! Id blinking starve to death!

Ah but i love love love the guitar.. ten days without playing and i cannot
believe how soft the tips of my fingers are. To much handcream i guess!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Dollie, we all started to play because we love to play.
Maybe my question was not phrased like I would.
It is a common knowledge that we all dream of something, some of us wanted to be a pilot, others even wanted to be a priest. AND I AGREE 100%, I also started to play guitar, because I liked it.
Reading sometimes about famous singers, there is the eternal returning answer, I WAS CALLED TO BE FAMOUS, because they always tell you that they were singing and performing in the family, at the age of 3 to 10.
I have to confess, when I started to play guitar, and once I knew 5 chords, even composing songs, there is one I "created" when I was 20, and yes, I admit that I wanted to be a star, just because you are so happy that you play own songs (if I should listen to a song recorded on my little tape recorder, I would try to hide me or disappear in the crowd: BLENDING IN THE CROWD), anyway I think that all chordians who play guitar are playing for fun. But Doll, isn't it beautiful to dream? My biggest dream was to be a MD on a cruise ship, even worse, I was accepted on valentine's day 2006 to work on "carnival cruise lines" when talking in a restaurant with the responsable who recruited all people working in the medical sector. I was stronger than my pain that day, and despite the fact that all my friends told me that this was impossible due to my lesions, which of course I neglected. They had the right to contact the doctors who treated me after my car crash, and they did, because I had to write a new CV. This was one of the most painful moments in my life. I was promessed to start in April, and it was real hard, because even today I CAN AND WILL NOT accept my condition. Sometimes dreams become nightmares. I am also a skilled hypnotist, and I could try this, but with a paralysed leg it won't work, WHY, I will explain it Doll, by sending you a mail. I learned a lesson there: it is good to dream even to be famous, but it is real hard and painful if you are obsessed by your dreams if you are so close, to hear a NO
Sorry for this maybe "sad" answer, it can be useful for all the dreamers.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Ah My Darlin Docphil,
This post is sad! Your fame came in a different form? Your famous on Chordie,
and Famous for Inventing the word "Chordians". I cannot and would not deny you your dreams.
I lived my dreams most of my life. Some years ago my Beautiful dream Balloon
burst so loudly i was left reeling for years. I lost sight of everything, I suffered
the most awful anxiety/panic attacks that kept me house bound for some time.
The more i resisted the worse it got. More balloons burst, one after the other.
Then when i wanted to, but could not die! I finally released and let go of all i thought my life should be.  Slowly and surely another chapter replaced the old one.
Every day i take as it comes. Ive learned to  love the smallest things. To be happy is always my goal now.
If i could i would make your dreams come true for you! Maybe, just maybe
they would not be what you wanted after all?
I always think of the young blonde Lady from Abba! She had her dream,
and now lives on a Island as a recluse? What happened to her dreams?
who knows?
Know your loved Doc, the feeling is so so good.
Barróga agus Póga to you.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

hi gitaardocphil i'mfamous in a small family and friends circle
my brother taught me to play then i gave guitar tuition to two grand daughters then i found chordie and the worlds my oyster
i just love it on here so i dont have time to play anywhere else ,i'm content with what i've accomplished since joining ....
so stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

I want to be famous.I want people to know how much I enjoy playing.Only one problem, I have stage fright.Im fine when it just my friends an family or people I dont know just as long as its no more than 15 people.I am the class clown.But I dont normaly talk to people I dont know inless Im being funny like for example to day was hero day and I dressed up as a rock star.I had a microphone and I when up to people I dont know and pretended to be a reporter. I even pretended to be ozzy osbourne and I whent up to people and said "Sharon Im so confused!".But when I have my guitar thats when I stop being funny.And I get serious which does not happen often.

Lets go melt some faces!!!!

rockerchick wrote:

I want to be famous.I want people to know how much I enjoy playing.Only one problem, I have stage fright.Im fine when it just my friends an family or people I dont know just as long as its no more than 15 people.I am the class clown.But I dont normaly talk to people I dont know inless Im being funny like for example to day was hero day and I dressed up as a rock star.I had a microphone and I when up to people I dont know and pretended to be a reporter. I even pretended to be ozzy osbourne and I whent up to people and said "Sharon Im so confused!".But when I have my guitar thats when I stop being funny.And I get serious which does not happen often.

Stage fright is OK and normal. I've been gigging for 24 years and I still get scared and nervous pre-gig, always. It's a natural human emotion wanting to be liked and accepted. Just plug in, do your thing and hope for the best. Control and dictate what you can and the rest, deal with it the best way you know how. You say humor is something you use around your friends. That's good. Use your humor on stage to ease your nerves. Just don't let your humor upstage your music.

Give everything but up.

HE SouthPaw, This is what I like about chordie, and SORRY to ALL READERS OF THIS TOPIC.
I wrote some personal feelings BUT I USE THEM NOT TO COMPLAIN, (usually, because I like to talk about the crash sometimes. When I talk about it, it is just to try to tell people: It ain't over 'till it's over. Happiness and inner peace, and talking sometimes, are the KEY WORDS.
Yesterday: sad day, Today: a lot better. Same thing as playing guitar, 1 day super, the other less.
SouthPaw this fact I didn't know, WERE YOU PLAYING PROFESSIONAL, or HOBBY? And an unpolite question, WERE YOU ABLE TO MAKE A LIVING, playing in those 24 years?
You know MOST OF US think: look how nice it is, playing for just a number 10.000 people. THE MISTAKE THAT (MOST) PEOPLE ALWAYS DO, is telling how wonderful this must be playing and performing. THE CORRECT ANSWER IS: how many time you USE to be a "star", practising every day, until the skin on your fingers looks like concrete. While we sit in our lousy seat in the weekend, the musician has to perform. And so far as I know (I was MD for the most famous actors here, the same person you adored as a 12 year old kid, is now YOUR patient) honest: you are quit fast back on the ground. They perform on New Year's Eve, on Holidays... and you need as Southpaw sais: a nervosity, just like when you were still in college, defending your thesis, or exams.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: EVEN THE GREATEST MUSICIANS ARE VERY NERVOUS.

Hahahaha...I'll be famous allright...

Famous for being awful!

=P
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I 'd just like to be GOOD enough to be famous , Haha !

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

gitaardocphil wrote:

HE SouthPaw, This is what I like about chordie, and SORRY to ALL READERS OF THIS TOPIC.
I wrote some personal feelings BUT I USE THEM NOT TO COMPLAIN, (usually, because I like to talk about the crash sometimes. When I talk about it, it is just to try to tell people: It ain't over 'till it's over. Happiness and inner peace, and talking sometimes, are the KEY WORDS.
Yesterday: sad day, Today: a lot better. Same thing as playing guitar, 1 day super, the other less.
SouthPaw this fact I didn't know, WERE YOU PLAYING PROFESSIONAL, or HOBBY? And an unpolite question, WERE YOU ABLE TO MAKE A LIVING, playing in those 24 years?
You know MOST OF US think: look how nice it is, playing for just a number 10.000 people. THE MISTAKE THAT (MOST) PEOPLE ALWAYS DO, is telling how wonderful this must be playing and performing. THE CORRECT ANSWER IS: how many time you USE to be a "star", practising every day, until the skin on your fingers looks like concrete. While we sit in our lousy seat in the weekend, the musician has to perform. And so far as I know (I was MD for the most famous actors here, the same person you adored as a 12 year old kid, is now YOUR patient) honest: you are quit fast back on the ground. They perform on New Year's Eve, on Holidays... and you need as Southpaw sais: a nervosity, just like when you were still in college, defending your thesis, or exams.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: EVEN THE GREATEST MUSICIANS ARE VERY NERVOUS.

Phil,
Go to "MY Local Band" and read my posts in that section. Most of your questions will be answered there in my posts.  SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

I dont want to be famous.  Rich, yes, famous, no.   lol   Our singer just got picked up by a big producer.  Her dream is the big time.  I wish her luck and will miss her, but I have family, good job, etc.  Sometimes we play weekend shows and stay gone a day or two.  Im ready to go home after that.  No 6 months or more on the road for me.

Bobby
kickin.ws

When I was a kid, I was courted by several conservatories.  I had done a little gigging prior to that - was bass player in a playhouse orchestra, had played in a studio band for a Christmas album as part of a brass choir.  It was fun, but there was no way I was going to make a living at it.  I decided to go to school for business instead. 

But I've got some friends that have done the pro thing.  One of my good buddies was in a touring band when he was only 16.  He met Joe Walsh in a basement jamm session and learned Funk #49 from Joe Walsh himself before it was even released on an album.  Some other friends are in a Country top 40 band in the U.S.  My niece was good friends with the child of a 'famous' musician.  The first guy has a day job - even though he's still in a band that headlines bars and does opening for national acts.  The other guys ride the tour bus, and most would say have 'made it in the big time', but they still have frequent periods of unemployment.  And when they are employed, they wake up in a bus with a GPS unit built into their bunks so they know where they are.  They communicate with their wives and kids via cell phone.  The child of the famous musician met my niece at boarding school.  Seems her mom loved her very much, but wanted to make sure she got a better education than life on the road and international travel 40+ weeks of the year can permit.  Not a life I'd like.   

Seems like most here are playing for themselves.  But for those who want to be famous, don't think that you're going to get the life you see on MTV Cribs or Biography interviews.  Those folks are the elite of the elite.  For every one of them, there are 100 "famous" folks just scraping by, not knowing where they are or who they'll see.  Sitting bored at the backstage of a venue letting the roadies do their thing and just waiting for the opportunity to get on stage and "work" for an hour or two. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude