Topic: Is Agathis a good wood for guitars?

I've seen a few guitars (including a few by squier) that have an Agathis body. Do guitars made out of Agathis sound good? And how much sustain do they have?

Re: Is Agathis a good wood for guitars?

Tibernius, this is what I found so far:
Agathis: wood coming from a genus of giant tropical conifer trees found in rain forests in the tropical far east and the southwest Pacific. It is also related to spruce, cedar. Some people claim that it is related to Mahogany: A BIG MISTAKE: NO RELATION. But some guitar builders use it abusing it as Mahogany. More correct is the fact that it is used as a low-grade alternative, and I quote: is nevertheless as good a material as, well, plywood, anyway. It seems to be good enough for Squier, but not for Fender, as an example.
It is difficult for me also asking the question "what is the best wood"? The same topic, but not yet answered is if a human ear can hear the difference between brazilian rosewood and indian rosewood. Mahogany is used a lot (I have one Martin, dark brown, in mahagony) An alternative is "sapele". About agathis I repeat it, is used in cheaper guitars has a relative good tonality, but they use it in lower budget guitars. I try to come back with more information, like guitar brands.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

As promised: Ibanez GAX70TR Electric Guitar Agathis Body provides warm lows with strong sustain. But it is confusing, because there they write: a relative to mahogany, while on other sites they write that there is NO relation.
Best way to find info is googling agathis wood guitars.
I hope I could provide you some info. At least you know now where to look

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Me again, there is even a video on youtube.
Go there, log in (or not) and search agathis. All your questions will be answered

Thanks, if the beginners' Ibanez guitars use it it sounds like it should be ok.
I was asking because the Wesley T-Surf is made of agathis.

http://www.wesleyguitars.co.uk/storefro … =236207708

The Stagg guitars are made of Alder, would they sound better than the T-Surf?

You will find that for the most part the higer end acoustics are either a combination of spruce tops, maghogany backs and sides or rosewood backs and sides.

Bootlegger.

Tibernius -

I was looking at guitars in the $500 range.  The Staggs in that price range blew away in sound most other guitars in that range.  My ear prefers warm, deep, and mellow sounding guitars.  If you like guitars with that warm, deep, and mellow sound, then I'd suggest you find a way to pluck on a Stagg and see if you like it as well as I do. 

The other guitar brand that I liked with a similar deep, warm, mellow tone, but was slightly more expensive, were Blue Ridge. 

The Takemine are too bright/tinny for my taste, as are Yamaha.  I ended up getting a Yamaha, but that's because someone else paid for it (now THAT's a bargain).   It was very bright.  To mellow it out, I replace the string pegs with wooden pegs from Taylor and put on Phospher Bronze strings. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude