Topic: can some one tell me the strumming pattern for Hotel California?

I'm trying to play Hotel California . I know the chords and the lyrics but , I can't get the song to sound right may be the timming or the strumming pattern,, I'm using this strumming: DDUUDUDDU one strumming per measure,,
but , I can't get it, right,, maybe  is a dificult song for a begginer

any help will be apreciated:-)

=======================================

Re: can some one tell me the strumming pattern for Hotel California?

BBDGus, nice to meet you. I agree, if you want to play that song as it is on an album, it is difficult. If you play it using the proper chords, (without the solos) it is a lot more easy.
An example: the songs played in a Music Store, by guitar players, are:
- House of the Rising song (I think that for most of us, this is or was the first real song we played)
- Hotel California
- Stairway to heaven.
Some days in a Music Store, when there are a lot of people, I am amazed about the way they play. You can hear 10 players, just playing guitar solos, which is horrible.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hotel California is a fairly good, but more medium difficulty song.  I play it a lot and never thought about the strum pattern.  I play mostly the high pitch acoustic lead part, which is more finger picking.  My suggestion is to try and play the Hell Freezes Over (unplugged) version.  It's much easier to play, and you can pick up the strum pattern much easier.

I agree mostly picked off on accoustic or electric to be honest the chorus just a nothing special strum pattern it is not that difficult

I played along with the cd over and over again...It was the easiest way for me...

Well, riddler, you seem to learn or to improve your skills almost like I do. I am not playing in a band, and NEVER IN A COVER GROUP. A lot of people play guitar in cover bands, I think the number one in cover bands are the Shadows. This is an example where you need to play almost exactly like they do. I also heard, and saw, bands playing HOTEL CALIFORNIA, but I think that almost no player can play exactly that song. They use a 12 string guitar in it, and how many of us have a 12 string ELECTRIC guitar? I have one a BURNS, not the cheapest one, by trading my Variax 700 (acoustic) for the Burns and got 400€ extra. What I found, when I played pretty much the 12 string Burns is that I had improved a lot my skills on guitar, REASON: the neck is thicker than a common electric guitar, and you have to push on 2 strings in stead of one which gave me a thicker skin on my fingertips.
I am discussing here in acoustic about electric, but TRUST ME, I COULD CHANGE ELECTRIC IN ACOUSTIC. It was just to explain some things.
The best way to learn a song is acoustic, 100% if you play along with a song on your CD.
Playing along is underestimated, but it gives you a much better idea. In most cases, using pure chords, NO CAPO, NO open tuning, I can play along quit fast.
So about Hotel California, using strumming, and I don't think that this song needs correct strumming. A song needing CORRECT strumming, is the at first site very easy song: "GLORIA" by THEM, using E A D. This is for me the best example how to strum.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

One of the fine points of this song is: You will be playing it all your life, changing this and that, and still have room to improve. Even The Eagles have numerous versions.
So just keep on picking one part at time, and create your version. It Will hook you! so save your cash, you will need more guitars.

Thanks     

Nice, thank you