Topic: DISCO

It is today again OK to love and play disco music. I tried it already a few times, and I am sometimes close to an own disco song, with close I mean sometimes.
So I have a few questions:
- which song can be considered as the first disco song? or who has the credits to be pioneers in this music style? I have probably 10 Billboard top 100 albums, and now and than, even in 1970, you are able to hear some pre-disco bands.
- is it a difficult style to play? like the strumming patterns. I have the impression that the guitar at that time was used as part of the rhythm section, and a lot of trumpets and similar instruments were used.
- I have the same problem with reggae (WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF THE WORD REGGAE?).
Also the bands playing it are more popular again: KC and the sunshine band, Donna Summer, Village people, Gloria Gaynor.
There is only ONE THING I don't understand, why is disco, at least some bands are so associated with homosexuality. Take Village People, the members? Also the song I WILL SURVIVE, by Gloria Gaynor is a song you can hear in the big international "parades". I was even convinced that GAYnor  was on purpose.
Who can give an answer concerning this topic, and am I right when I say that, at least for me, it is a difficult music style?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: DISCO

Being born in the 60's I had to suffer through the disco years. I think you're dead on in saying it's a difficult style to play (especially acoustically) but sometimes it can be great. In my opinion Reggae is even harder (I think it's just a timing thing). You mentioned Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive. Check out Cake's version if you haven't already. A fantastic cover. Also a very fun song to play by yourself with an acoustic. Now that I'm older, I think a lot of great songs and bands were overlooked. I think Disco in general was heavily produced and as you mentioned with lots of different instruments.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Disco was basically invented for pissed up Aunts, Mothers and Sisters to embaress themselves dancing at weddings, family gatherings etc. wink

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

Craig
Yesterday evening I was listening to the Bilboard top 100 1966, and I heard at least 2 songs,that could be placed in the seventies, disco "avant la lettre"

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]