Topic: Mouth Bow!

Goodmorning Chordies,

From a dry Emerald Isle this morning. Someone here from chordie kindly
sent me a link  this morning which i has been looking for.
So "Thank You Darlin" you know who you are!,

Question!  is this Instrument still played?

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=krx2MoTaAVo

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Re: Mouth Bow!

Dolly, here is what I found. My grandmother stayed in CONGO, a couple of years, 1924 - 1928, when she was pregnant from my father. She had also an instrument, made of wood, hollow inside and 6 or more thin metal "small, thin bars" The Africans used it by pushing on a metal bar (don't know if its the correct word) and releasing it, giving a tone pretty similar like a mouth bow.
Isn't it amazing how inventive and creative people are. This is what I found:

. Cave paintings in southern France dated to around 15,000 BC, show a bow being used as a musical instrument, so this use certainly has a long history. Musical bows are still used in a number of cultures today, almost all over the world. The berimbau, a musical bow from Brazil, is quickly gaining players worldwide as a result of its association with the game of capoeira. In the United States, the musical bow was apparently introduced by African slaves. Today, it is
primarily found in the Appalachian Mountains, where it is called a mouthbow or mouth bow.
source: wikipedia.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: A "KILLER" INSTRUMENT

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Mouth Bow!

Thank You Rockdoc,

Well! I will spend some time today reading and following up on all your information. Great Stuff. Interesting.

I used to sing Buffys songs in my youth. One of my bedrooms here has 2 paintings depicting Native American Scenes. Also a Beautiful Dreamcatcher
purchased in the states.

Now Doc, why on earth would i feel an affinity with "Native American Indians?

I also love Egyptian history. I was told one time i lived in Egypt in a past life?
Is it any wonder i get confused.
I also have a 4 foot rainmaker sound stick from Australia, which i also love?
must have done Walkabouts at some stage also.

Born and reared on this Isle? I sometimes dont even understand my self!!

I love this sound Doc, Hope you do.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=5X5A2NTyBjQ

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !