Re: Les Paul or SG?

bigdjindustriez wrote:
SGinCYQX wrote:

I highly prefer SG's.

I Think SGinCYQX only prefers SG's because he probably has a cheapo copy of one, perhaps an epiphone..polar white maybe with EMG pickups.  Les paul is by far better, especially if you get a semi-hollowbody.

I'm pretty sure the OP was talking about a solid-body. If you want a semi-hollowbody guitar, just buy an acoustic. And remember, not all of us play music written by a 70-year-old raccoon hunter. Be more open.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

SGinCYQX wrote:
BrownSound wrote:

I admit you will over-pay for a Gibson LP, but you will get a hand-crafted finish and a human to do QA on it.  With an Epi, you get a mass-produced ax with no QA.  However, it's up to you whether it's worth the price-drop or not.
Did I mention I wanted ALL the Epiphone Zakk Wylde models?

Sorry.  I think I am going to be sick.

Rock on!

For one, my Epiphone SG sounds better than a stock Gibson, and it's BONE STOCK. It DID come with active EMG pickups, I'll admit, which helps a LOT. The EMG's will outburn the Gibson pickups everywhere, in my experience. My Epi has also had NO problems, unlike a few of the Gibson Les Pauls I've played and literally had the tone knob fall off in my hand. It's a solid-feeling guitar with a mahogany neck and body, rosewood fretboard, set neck construction and flawless finish. I think it's damn good for ANY brand name. From what I can tell, it's kind of like the SG version of the Zakk Wylde LP's. I prefer the SG shape over the LP style, I think it's more ergonomic and better looking. I honestly don't see what the hype about the Les Paul's are. Don't get me wrong, I love them and I want one, but they are certainly not the be all end all of electric guitars.

Or we could get rid of all electrics and replace them with nice lil Martin acoustics..get an effects pedal if you need to hear that weird screamo sound.  A solidbody is cut out of a solid piece of wood with a bandsaw in about 2 minutes and has some holes drilled in it, it gets painted and off it goes.  An acoustic has to be bent, glued, inlayed and all kinds of shit, painted, laquered... which takes about 21 days if done by hand.  The end product is better and better sounding

DJ Cormier
[url=http://www.bigdjindustriez.tk]www.bigdjindustriez.tk[/url]
myspace.com/bigdjindustriez

SGinCYQX wrote:
bigdjindustriez wrote:
SGinCYQX wrote:

I highly prefer SG's.

I Think SGinCYQX only prefers SG's because he probably has a cheapo copy of one, perhaps an epiphone..polar white maybe with EMG pickups.  Les paul is by far better, especially if you get a semi-hollowbody.

I'm pretty sure the OP was talking about a solid-body. If you want a semi-hollowbody guitar, just buy an acoustic. And remember, not all of us play music written by a 70-year-old raccoon hunter. Be more open.

I don't think big old fat black guys, otherwise known as the greatest blues musicians, were raccoon hunters.  They mostly all played either acoustic or a Gibson ES-335, or something simillar.

DJ Cormier

bigdjindustriez wrote:
SGinCYQX wrote:
BrownSound wrote:

I admit you will over-pay for a Gibson LP, but you will get a hand-crafted finish and a human to do QA on it.  With an Epi, you get a mass-produced ax with no QA.  However, it's up to you whether it's worth the price-drop or not.
Did I mention I wanted ALL the Epiphone Zakk Wylde models?

Sorry.  I think I am going to be sick.

Rock on!

For one, my Epiphone SG sounds better than a stock Gibson, and it's BONE STOCK. It DID come with active EMG pickups, I'll admit, which helps a LOT. The EMG's will outburn the Gibson pickups everywhere, in my experience. My Epi has also had NO problems, unlike a few of the Gibson Les Pauls I've played and literally had the tone knob fall off in my hand. It's a solid-feeling guitar with a mahogany neck and body, rosewood fretboard, set neck construction and flawless finish. I think it's damn good for ANY brand name. From what I can tell, it's kind of like the SG version of the Zakk Wylde LP's. I prefer the SG shape over the LP style, I think it's more ergonomic and better looking. I honestly don't see what the hype about the Les Paul's are. Don't get me wrong, I love them and I want one, but they are certainly not the be all end all of electric guitars.

Or we could get rid of all electrics and replace them with nice lil Martin acoustics..get an effects pedal if you need to hear that weird screamo sound.  A solidbody is cut out of a solid piece of wood with a bandsaw in about 2 minutes and has some holes drilled in it, it gets painted and off it goes.  An acoustic has to be bent, glued, inlayed and all kinds of shit, painted, laquered... which takes about 21 days if done by hand.  The end product is better and better sounding

Wow, you really don't know anything about solidbody electric guitars do you.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

bigdjindustriez wrote:

I don't think big old fat black guys, otherwise known as the greatest blues musicians, were raccoon hunters.  They mostly all played either acoustic or a Gibson ES-335, or something simillar.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!

Lol,

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

SGinCYQX wrote:
Tibernius wrote:

I play a no-name Les Paul style guitar, never played an SG, but I'd go with the LP. It's much more versatile. Les Pauls have been played by bands from Kula Shaker to System of a Down.
If you get an SG you are pretty much limited to Rock and Metal.

Try these, decent quality and very cheap:

www.wesleyguitars.co.uk

Um, no. Not even close. I play blues, jazz, metal, rock, even classical on an SG. Derek Trucks plays blues on an SG. It's the player, not the guitar. Les Pauls are really not that versatile, neither are SG's. They will always sound comparatively darker and moodier than guitars with SC pickups. If you have not played both, you really don't know, I'm afraid.

Ok, fair point. I just meant that I haven't seen any bands play an SG for anything other than Rock or Metal.

I know you can play any kind of music on any kind of guitar (yes you can play Metal on an Acoustic), but different guitars are better suited to different styles. Imagine playing Country on a Flying V!

I prefer an SG to a Les Paul, but I'd advise that you don't get either. First off, they are both overpriced and secondly, they are overpriced. Both are great guitars of high quality and most have a great sound, but I think you could get a comparable guitar for half the price. I Play a Schecter C-1 with Seymour Duncan pickups and I did a side-by-side comparison of my guitar with an SG-Standard and I think that my Schecter is a superior guitar that plays and sounds better (I bought a sweet tube amp with all the money I saved too!).

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

shredfiend wrote:

I prefer an SG to a Les Paul, but I'd advise that you don't get either. First off, they are both overpriced and secondly, they are overpriced. Both are great guitars of high quality and most have a great sound, but I think you could get a comparable guitar for half the price. I Play a Schecter C-1 with Seymour Duncan pickups and I did a side-by-side comparison of my guitar with an SG-Standard and I think that my Schecter is a superior guitar that plays and sounds better (I bought a sweet tube amp with all the money I saved too!).

Well man, I Just generally don't like solid body guitars.  I have owned 2 of them and played many, they're all very simple constructed and have no sound unless plugged in.  I'm an acoustic man, always will be.

DJ Cormier

shredfiend wrote:

True. Lots of awesome guitars can be had for less than either, and I have yet to play a bad Schecter.

-Jimi Hendrix.

Thanks for the info/opinions.  So I can get a better guitar for less.  What kind is reccomended? I don't know a whole lot about it, but what about a Dean, either an ML or V? They're knockoffs of the Gibsons, but they look pretty cool, and they're only aorund $200.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Well, your choice of guitar should be based off your personal preference. Just try to find a guitar that plays well and sounds good. Make sure the neck feels comfortable in your hands. Also, make sure you like the sound; if you like to play hard rock/metal, you'll probably prefer a guitar that has a higher output. Don't worry about getting a guitar that resembles a Gibson... the name on the headstock really doesn't matter and it shouldn't influence your choice. Spend a Saturday morning going to all the music stores in your area and play every guitar in your price range until you find one that you really like.

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

37 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2007-11-14 15:33:56)

bigdjindustriez wrote:
SGinCYQX wrote:

I highly prefer SG's.

Dear Mr. Esteban, (lol)
This can't be substantiated. Personal preference is the only basis here in determining which guitar is better.

Give everything but up.

Bottom line both guitars are good and over priced it all comes down to as Mr. SouthPaw41L said personal preference.  Different sounds, more sustain out of the les paul because of the weight, the sg comfort of the neck for smaller handed persons. Both can be set up to play really smooth and a pickup change to for a different sound.

Bootlegger.

Personal preference is all there is in this story.

I still prefer my Columbus Les Paul copy, a japanese made beauty from the mid '70's. Warm tones, crunch when you want it and the biggest secret in guitar-buying. You can still pick them up on ebay for buttons!

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello