Topic: bass amp?

I was going to get a friend's bass that they are selling pretty cheap, but my son told me you need a bass amp as well, that if i plug a bass into my regular amp it'll blow it! Is this true? It's just a 10 watt amp.

HAVE YOU
     HUGGED YOUR GUITAR
                                 TODAY??

Re: bass amp?

Not if you don't turn it up loud or if you practice with headphones.  I played a bass on a Roland 15W guitar amp for quite a long while.  But I didn't crank it.  It was just so that I could hear what I was playing for practice by myself.  However, it won't sound good.  You'll be able to hear the instrument, but to get good clean low-end sound, you should save and get a bass amp.  My preference for bass amps is Hartke and Ampeg.  The Hartke is a 10" 30W model that only cost about $100 new from Music123.com.  Or maybe Musician's Friend.  I can't remember which.  A feature to look for in a bass amp is a line out that doesn't cut off the speaker the way the headphone jack does.  That way you'll be able to plug into a PA and use the amp to monitor yourself. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: bass amp?

I have the Hartke 30 watt bass amp and I like it.  Led me to buy the Hartke 60 watt for my electric....man that thing can sound dirty!