Topic: Buying Strings

When I'm playing electric I always seem to break the low E string alot more than the others. It always frays at the bridge and the coils unravel. This made me think that it would be good if string companies such as D'addario or fender etc. did the research and found which strings are broken the most and put more of them in a packet. For example 2 E's, 1 A, 1 D, 2 g's, 2 b's, 2 e's. Just an Idea.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

Re: Buying Strings

Altex wrote:

When I'm playing electric I always seem to break the low E string alot more than the others. It always frays at the bridge and the coils unravel. This made me think that it would be good if string companies such as D'addario or fender etc. did the research and found which strings are broken the most and put more of them in a packet. For example 2 E's, 1 A, 1 D, 2 g's, 2 b's, 2 e's. Just an Idea.

Rotosound put an extra of the highest string (E) in each pack, don't know how good the strings are though because I've never used them.

The Low E is breaking? I'd say that there is something wrong with the bridge. If we're lucky gitaardocphil will have a look, he'll know for certain.

Recently we discussed about changing strings. Well, in my case, having a Martin D-45V, the 3th string is getting out of tune almost always after playing 1 or 2 songs. The string is starting to give an annoying metal sound, so probably this is the moment to change.
I found some weeks ago Martin strings (more than 5 years old) and enough to change the strings of 4 guitars .
Best strings? I stick to Martin, d'Addario, but I would like to try once Elixir.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

Best strings? I stick to Martin, d'Addario, but I would like to try once Elixir.

If you are playing electric try Ernie Ball strings. They cost about £1 a set more than d'Addario but they are worth it.

I bought a 3-pack of d'Addario strings a while back and I couldn't stand them. It felt like they had some kind of greasy coating on them. Replaced them with Ernie Ball Skinny-Top Heavy-Bottom strings, and the guitar now plays much better.

Altex wrote:

Simple answer: the companies won't do that because every time you break a string you buy a new pack. So if they included extra strings they wouldn't sell as many sets. It would be nice if they added the strings, but they won't. Your best bet is to buy a 3, 6 or 12 pack of whichever strings you like. At least that way you'll have plenty of spares.

Change to a thicker gauge string or become a finess player, alot of the string breakage maybe to a hammer hand (heavy strumming).

Bootlegger.

as far as breaking, d'addarios have never given me any trouble at all. In terms of tone/playing, they could be better. I play them because they last a long time. My favorite strings ever, pure nickel slinkys, die in about a week and break easy, like all slinkys i have ever played. Ghs are good electric strings, but they don't sound very good and last as long as the slinkys. DR are very very good, i like them almost  more then the slinkys, but i can never find a set heavy enough. If it is the low E, i would definitely suggest heavier strings, like d'addario jazz/blues/rock 11's.

How long does it take until the string starts to fray?  If you're really going through strings, you might check if there's a burr in the bridge saddle.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Whats a burr?

A burr is like a sharp edge or a nick in the metal that can cut a string.

Altex, where do you live exactly in Australia.? Sometimes it is so hard for me, everything is destroyed by my car crash, all my dreams. I had a place to start in South Africa, and 2-3 years later, because Australia is also belonging to the British Commonwealth, I was able to move over there, but destiny...
In fact I write you to know if there are in Australia, guitars MADE IN AUSTRALIA? And if yes, is the wood good enough for acoustic guitars, or for electric guitars

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

12 (edited by Altex 2007-11-11 03:47:20)

There is a company here called Maton, i'm not sure if it is popular over in belgium but it they are very popular here. The make very good acoustics. They also make Electrics but their acoustics are more well known.

Im not to sure about the wood.

I live in a smallish town called Lismore (named after some scottish isle) but technically it is a city. It has a population of around 47 000. Goonellabah is a suburb of this town. Strange name you say? Its an aboriginal name that means coral tree or something like that. It is located in the far north east of New South Wales, a state. The closet big city to it is Brisbane which is to the north in Queensland, a state north of new south wales. If you use google earth you will have no trouble finding lismore.

I took my guitar in to the shop and they said there was a burr. Its down there getting fixed.

Hey guys Im an aussie also - I'm from Sydney - (beautifull city, especially Darling Harbour) - I agree with Altex - Maton is a very good Guitar comapny - I'd love to go down to the factory and breathe in the sawdust.....mmmmmm..mmmmm.

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"