Topic: How to play different chords

How do you play chords like B, Bm or F? I try and try, but I can`t get it right. any answer would be apritiated. pictures of how you play them would be a great help.:)

Re: How to play different chords

these are some of the hardest ones too master,I think almost all players have a problem with them.I did and it took alot of practice too get them down. Just keep trying and practiceing them .  dino48

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

hi skwee,

yeah, pretty hard chords to play correctly, but through a lot of practice and time you might get it. I never did so I cheat.

I play B by using one finger to hold down the G,D and B strings on the 4th frett. the e string gets dampened so I do not have to play the 2nd fret on the e. Sometimes I play B like a power chord instead but still holding down those three strings and well as the 2nd fret on the A string.

for Bm I do not barr any chords.  I have my first finger on the 2nd fret of e. middle finger on 3rd frett of B. pinky finger holding 4th fret on G and ring finger holding 4th fret on D string. I do not play the E or the A string at all, only the bottom 4.

F I find very easy.1st finger holding e and B string on their first fretts. middle finger holding 2nd frett on G pinky holding3rd frett on D and ring finger on 3rd on the D. I do not play the E string.

And for F# it is the same as F but slide all your fingers in the same position up a fret.

I hope this helps you short term but if you can it really is best to learn the correct way of playing it so it sounds much much better.
The way I have shown you how I play these chords are through laziness, they do get you by but do not sound 100% corect, but for what I play, mostly these sound ok.
I try to stay away from songs wit hlots of B chords in them as my version of a B does sound bad.
If you could play B by using your middle finger, ring finger and pinky to hold down the three string on the 4th fret and use you index finger to hold down the 2nd fet on the e, it will make it sound far better.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

What upyerkilt writes is fantastic. Even so called basic chord, take B, you can play that chord like he wrote, also in barré on the 7th fret, with one finger covering the strings, and the chord used with a finger position=to E.
Practise is one thing, a great help can be achieved, trying to play-a-long, with a song on CD. It worked a lot for me. You HAVE to practise too, changing fast your finger position.

If you like to see the chords and finger positions, you will find a lot. Google guitar chords, and you will be surprised. Example: www.chordbook.com. This shows you a lot of chords, DON'T panic, I would be real surprised if a human being can play all chords. Start with the basic chords, A B  C  D  E  F  G, and followed  by minor chords Am  Bm  Cm Em Fm .. a lot of chords aren't
easy at all, and add on top of it "septime" chords; like E7  B7.... Here you will find akk you need.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

The way I learned to play barre's was always in E. Start on E but DO NOT use your index finger, keep it loose and use you middle,ring and pinkie to play it then move to fret 2 and barre fret 1 with your index (if you dont know what barring is, its just covering all strings using the whole of your index finger) that gives you F and then just move up the frets you'll get most major chords.

Doing the same with the Am shape gives you notes such as Bm and C#m.

Theres a chord chart HERE that will help alot.

Hope this all helps you mate, I started playing in December/January and took a while to learn barre's but i have the hang of it now.

Beautiful Scrimmy.  I will give that a go.  I'll have to learn chords all over again, but so be it.  Life's too short not to play barre chords.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I don't look at it as learning chords all over again but as learning different ways to play the same chord.

I'm pretty much of the school that thinks that acoustic sounds better with open chords. That's just a personal opinion. But of course there are times you just can't get away from barre chords. And sometimes it's easier to move from one chord to another if you use barres or a mixture of the two. For instance, I love to play Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong and in the key I play it in one of the chord progressions is F#m, G back to F#m. This is made so much easier by barring the G instead of barring the F#m then moving to open G and back to the barred F#m again.

I hope that all makes sense.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:

I don't look at it as learning chords all over again but as learning different ways to play the same chord.

Ding!  Winner.

For the most part, you should be within three frets of any chord, no matter where you are on the fretboard.  All you gotta do is find 'em.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

alvee33 wrote:

I'm pretty much of the school that thinks that acoustic sounds better with open chords. That's just a personal opinion. But of course there are times you just can't get away from barre chords. And sometimes it's easier to move from one chord to another if you use barres or a mixture of the two. For instance, I love to play Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong and in the key I play it in one of the chord progressions is F#m, G back to F#m. This is made so much easier by barring the G instead of barring the F#m then moving to open G and back to the barred F#m again.

I hope that all makes sense.

It makes wonderful sense.  But as far as I'm concerned "knowing a chord" means that my fingers know where to go and how to get there without me thinking about it.  If I've got to retrain my fingers, then I've got to relearn the chord.  Just a different way of looking at the same thing.  It would help if my fingers would cooperate now and then.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

l-2----
l-4---
l-4---
l-4--
l-x---
l-x---    thats one way to play B

l-2-
l-3-
l-4-
l-0-
l-x-
l-x-   Bm

l-1-                       l-1
l-1-                       l-1
l-2-                       l-2
l-3-               OR   l-3
l-x-                       l-3
l-x-                       l-x                   F

If you cant get the barre versions those work, but you have to not play the bottom few strings...

All You Need is Love smile

The beauty of barres is that there only are a few shapes to learn for several dozen chords.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

On Chordie there is a large chord chart.
To find it go to recources and in the menu and ''A large chord chart'' is the first option.

Thank you for your help, all of you. I will keep praticing and use your advise. Thanks.:)

It really is just a matter of practice.
If I'm playing a mixture of open chords and barre chords I find it faster/easier to use a short barre with the forefinger and the thumb barring the low strings.
If you're playing purely barre chords it's probably easier using a full barre
Some people tend to press too hard when playing barre chords which makes playing more difficult as their hand become too tense.
I agree with alvee33 about open chords on an acoustic but some chords really have to be played as barres.
Try playing the root 5 barre major chords with your ring finger holding down the B G & D strings. At first you'll probably mute the top E string but with practice you'll hopefully be able to bend your finger just enough to clear the top E enabling it to ring.
If you're just strumming I doubt that many people would notice that you're muting top E so long as the other strings are ringing reasonably clearly.
Root 6 barre major chords are played using the E chord shape which hopefully won't be too difficult.
Root 5 barre minor chords also use the E chord shape.
As an exercise try playing a G barre chord then changing to a C barre chord.
Place your forefinger over all of the stings on the third fret and play an E chord directly below the barre - middle finger on the 4th (G) string, 4th fret, ring finger on 2nd (A) string, 5th fret and little finger on 3rd (D) string, 5th fret.
To change to C keep the G barre shape in place then simply flatten the ring finger to cover the 4th, 3rd & 2nd strings lifting the little finger out of the way at the same time (this may naturally happen as you flatten your ring finger).
Use a bit of a rocking action between the two shapes and keep repeating slowly until it feels comfortable and natural.
Once you have mastered the change you can try muting the 6th string by slightly lifting or moving your barring forefinger. Don't worry about this until you've mastered the change.
I hope this makes sense. It's difficult to explain in words.
Don't worry if the chords sound muffled at first, with practice they'll soon start to ring.

It sounds difficult, but I`ll give it a try.  Thanks for the advice.