Topic: Sitar sound from an Electric?

I've been learning to play "Tsunami" by the Manic Street Preachers, and I'm trying to find how you can get an LP-style double-humbucker Electric guitar to sound like a Sitar or Zither. Any ideas?

Re: Sitar sound from an Electric?

There's an effects box on the market that creates a Sitar sound, so take a look at some of the boutique pedal suppliers. The variax has a sitar emulation too but this is an actual guitar. You may find down-tuning certain strings to get a 'drone' works but not sure if the Manics would have done this, any concert videos of Tsunami live?

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Didn't know there was an effects box/pedal for it, i've got a Zoom G2.1U but couldn't figure out a Sitar setup for it.

Don't suppose you know how much the effects box costs?

Dear Tibernius: some help?
- Zoom G2.1u Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal New, With Cubase LE: 169;99$ it also has an USB interface. Built in drum machine. Includes adapter.
-Zoom G2.1u Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal New, With Cubase LE:  Factory Resealed: $139.95.
FEATURES:
16 amp/stomp modeling
9 effect modules
54 effect types
40 user patch + 40 factory patch
Factory released is that it has been used, more to demonstrate.
This is the information I found on www.zzounds.com
The problem is that most of those quit big online stores don't ship to Europe which is a sad thing because of the strong £ and € compared to the US $. Price in £: 83 and in €:118.
I have the impression that it seems a nice device with great possibilities and the comments written by customers is rated 7/10.

In the UK: Zoom G2.1u Guitar Multi Effects Pedal with FREE Steinberg Cubase LE
£87.99 at www.imuso.co.uk
I hope this info is useful.
I have a Fender Cybertwin, having a lot of modeling amps, effects, too many to name.
I have a ZOOM 8080, a Line 6 Live POD board, a small red box, boss VF 1, since 6 years and they still sell it, and finally a Korg toneworks PANDORA, with rhythm sections, fantastic if you play alone.
I have recently a BOSS BR 600, with the intention to record, on a CF card, and to put it on myspace, but I lost already hours, after downloading a Dutch manual, but I don't get a clue how it works, even following the manual.
I hope I could help you

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

That's the one, already got it and it is VERY good, I just can't set it up to sound like a sitar.

Maybe Acoustic modelling and Pitch Shifter? I would like to use the effects I already have rather than buy more, I've only had the G2.1U for a week.

6 (edited by Tibernius 2007-10-18 18:23:56)

gitaardocphil wrote:

I have recently a BOSS BR 600, with the intention to record, on a CF card, and to put it on myspace, but I lost already hours, after downloading a Dutch manual, but I don't get a clue how it works, even following the manual.
I hope I could help you

The G2.1U can connect to a PC and record straight onto it, you can then copy the recording to a CF card or put it on the net. The software is included, you just need a USB cable, you can get them for about £5 (€7.50?).

The BOSS BR 600 is probably the same.

Found at least one of them pedals I mentioned adn it's by Danelectro so shouldn't be too pricey.

http://www.guitareffectspedals.com/sitarswami.jpg

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Thanks cytania.

Now I just have to find somewhere that sells it...

Does anyone know have to get a multi-effects unit to make a Sitar sound? I can't really afford to buy more effects pedals.

Tibernius, I love to play using effects, I have now a kind of "mini studio" to record, a BOSS BR600, but I still can't play, even after finding the manual in Dutch. I think to go back to the music store, and I hope to put soon some songs on myspace or youtube.
ELECTRIC: how many chordians use their guitar pure, and how many with effects?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Just found out that it's best to use compression when playing harmonics. Would compression help?

Compression is a subtle effect primarily for electric guitar where the highest and lowest points of the sound wave are "limited". This boosts the volume of softer picked notes, while capping the louder ones, giving a more even level of volume.

It is hard to say, but concerning your "sitar sound" I promess to dig deeper. I had a sitar sound with a Variax 700 electric (still have it). The variax 700 is the top of the line6 guitars. I buyed this one, just because of me (sound strange). I had to possess always the best. You have variax 600 (799,99$) at zzounds (www.zzounds.com) the variax 300 699,99$ The 600 and 300 are more Fender orientated go to www.line6.com, and you are able to listen about 10 samples. So I found this one:
- Boss GT-8 Guitar Multi Effects Processor, write that this contains a sitar sound (445$ musician's friends) I also saw a few multiple processors, in stead of a floorboard you have to turn the knobs to have a lot of effects. This is also the reason why I don't use a lot my BOSS VF1. A second one - Line 6 POD XT Pro Guitar Multi Effects Processor, also on musiciansfriend for 699,99$ see comments 5 stars.
- Line6  Floor POD Plus $299.99
- Line6 Floorboard PODXT  Live ! $399.95(I have this one, and really great item). There was a discussion on this one in my Guitar Store, and in fact he was telling the truth, because I have that fantastic, hybrid amp: Fender Cybertwin, with so many effects, older Fender amps (twin reverb, bassman..
that I still know only 30% of the possibilities the amp offers. Most people say that this one of the best amps on the market, having AND tubes AND electronics. I don't know if other amps offer similar effects, and if, they are providing fantastic sounds but almost always only electronic. No tubes. Hope this helps
-