Topic: WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE "NO FUTURE" GENERATION?

This is still mysterious. I am born in 1955 (December) so I was able to see the rise and fall of bands like the sexpistols.
I remember in that period (1975 to 1979) seeing men an women, dressed in black, jeans to throw away, very strange hair, coloured,and with the classic safety pins.
What happened to those NO FUTURE kids. I read an article, some of them have big responsible positions in a bank, others became lawyers, and more professions.
That is the topic: can I get help or information about that VERY IMPORTANT AND HISTORICAL music and their "followers"

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE "NO FUTURE" GENERATION?

Don't know the real answer to this question but I may venture to quess that the parents of these "No Future" kids cut off the money support to their rebel causes subsequently causing hunger and other symptoms associated with not having any money or a place to live. The kids I'm guessing "woke up" and realized that being angry at the world and all that's associated with attitudes of pesimistic nature was counterproductive and left the rebel rousing to those who were financially secure enough to live that way. Just a guess..........

Give everything but up.

This is an interesting topic, because, I agree here we talk about PUNK and NO FUTURE. We can ask the same: what happened with the 1968 generation, love & peace, also free love and living together in a small commune? There is not such thing as free love, even for me, VERY OPEN MINDED and UNDERSTANDING. Sooner or later: jealousy, disputes, and... this is the end. Do you agree when people tell, that the whole peace and love (or hippies) ended with the ROLLING STONES in Altamont.
"Sympathy for the devil " a killing song. Mick Jagger didn't realise what thproblem was, and Keith, well is Keith, he kept playing for 30 seconds?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

Do you agree when people tell, that the whole peace and love (or hippies) ended with the ROLLING STONES in Altamont
?

I don't think the peace, love, and hippie thing ended with the Stones in Altamont. Many friends of mine and people with whom I associate are still livin' the hippie lifestyle, minus the irresponsible, excessive drug use and having multiple sexual partners. We're a modern day," new age" hippie if you will. Less emphasis is put upon making an anti-social statement with ones style of dress and grooming habits and more emphasis is put on  social awareness and environmental causes.

Give everything but up.

All there is is character.

Without it, trouble.

With it, still trouble but you've got a better likelihood of coming through.   

I suspect that the hippies and the punks with "sand" (as the old-timers used to call it) did just fine.  The ones without it probably live their glory days over and over in their minds and wonder what happened to the world that they could not longer live as they choose.  Nothing wrong with the world.  Well, actually there's plenty, but that's not what is causing problems for those folks. 

It does make you wonder, though, sometimes. 

I did hear one humorous comment that I believe was from Sid Vicious - "Heavy Metal is what happened when the punk rockers learned to play their instruments." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The "No Future" slogan was a superb peice of writing. It was also a bit of future telling there too. I am not sure exactly when it was written or if It really was Johnny Lydon that wrote it down on paper, I tihnk maybe about 76 or 77 it was written? A few years later the torries got into governement. not just the torries but a woman called thatcher, and just look what she done to the UK. She and her party destroyed so much industry, family values, they gave a new meaning to life for teenagers and 16+ and of course home owners, Lot of home owners, let the tennants buy their council homes, let them get into debt wit hmortages, let the bank of england get risher and richer and let us tax them all and take more money off them. And then we will introduce the POLL TAX!!!! "let us "test" it on the scottish people first, if they dont like it tough, take their money" and that they did. One year later when it was an obvious distaerous mistake they introduced it to the rest of the UK to decide a year later it was a dreadful mistake and they set about plans to replace it by the council tax.

Now some might be asking what has this got to do with "no future" and punk music. Well that is what punk music is all about! It is not about sniffing glue and fighting and getting arrested while wearing pins through your nose, it is all about anti establishment, and that is why I really enjoy and admire a good punk song. The clash were probably one of the finest bands for the lyrics and music for the punk era.
There was plenty of other punk bands that never sang about anti establishemnt things but could play their instruments fast and get safety pin wearers jumping up and down.

So, No future was a great slogan. it is still happening today with a new party in power and probably will continue for kids to see they have no future until they do grow up and think ,I cannot keep going on like this, mouthing off going to demos, protesting about anything that the government done. They will realise they have to start living a life, working a job, paying taxes and getting sucked into the same position as every other "working tax paying slave" to the governement. We all end up "slaves to the grind"

When I was 11, just after the big punk era  i got into punk music and  got a hold of a syd vicious R.I.P t shirt. My mum threw it in the bin!! I got a relavitley tame sex pistols 7" record " black leather", my mum threw it out, even my white vinyl Expolited album ( which I am glad now since it was terrible)  well, what did this make me do? REBELL!! 11 year old wit hattitude, hating the governement without knowing what the word politics meant.
At 14 I was a bit wiser, not much but a bit. I still loved punk music although i was veering towards big country, U2, the alarm, simple minds, but I still kept my punk attitude all the time. By the time I was 15 and 16 I was seeing what " no future " meant, and I was in a place in my life when i just left school at the earlieist opporunity. No future was whacking me in the face every day. I moved down to london to look for a future as many scots were doing, instead of living in a cardboard box I found a lovely wee matress on the floor of my aunties house, on my cousins bedroom floor. This is where my life changed and started looking properly for my future. So skipping umpteen years and a few years at college, being an assistant manager for a garden centre for 11 years then finally in the job today as a production co ordinator and having a wife and weans ( kids) I found my future but I can still relate to youngsters today that think there is no future, there is always a future if you look or fight your way through to get it

and as for roger daltrey in 64 saying hope I die before i get old, although written by Pete Townshend, what is old?, they can still sing it because in their heart they are still young.lol

And I better not start on that or it will not be a book I am writing it will be a saga or epic or whatever a long long book is called ,lol

I've not wrote this much in ages about one subject. I have not even read back to see if it all makes sense or not, so sorry for the typing errors as I know there will be quite a few. and if it doesnt make sense to you then it might to someone younger or no one, but it made sense to me as I sat here typing it,

ok, ok, ok, I know, stop going on and on,:lol:

bye

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi
I know the future of Johnny Rotten John Lydon of the Sex Pistols. He grew up and the last time I saw him he was on the Discovery Channel presenting a documentary about insects.
He presented it a little off beat. I guess it’s was a wee bit of the punk rocker coming out. lol

Ark

I'm glad I played Anarchy in the UK on the Queens 25th anniversary

I'm glad I listened to the Tom Robinson Band and the Clash sing against Nazis

I'm glad I campaigned against nuclear weapons and vivisection.

I'm glad I supported the Miners strike and went to a benefits by the Redskins and Billy Bragg.

Im glad that was 20 years ago and I'm now an accountant living in suburbia.

Excellent discussion - I'm a baby-boomer, born in '56.  Still just a kid in the 60's but was quite aware of the Civil Rights Movement and the Vietnam War because my parents were very concerned about those issues.  My grandparents remembered WW1, the Scarlet Fever Epidemics, the Depression.  My parents came of age during WW2. 

For me, the 60's happened in the 70's - I think that was true for just about anybody living anywhere in the Heartland between New York and San Francisco.  The counter culture (hippies, yippies, flower children, heads, bikers, etc.) continued to spread throughout the rest of the country well after the 60's were over.  In the 70's, I attended schools that were finally being integrated for the first time.

I rebelled against 'the establishment' in all the typical ways.  Teenagers seem to have great faith that fashion statements (hair & clothing & music) can really change the world.

Somewhere along the way I had the realization that you can't just be 'against' everything and expect to accomplish much of anything.  You have to be 'for' something and you have to do what you can to nurture those things you think are good.

You can spend your life beating your head up against a wall - the wall won't feel a thing, and other people will just keep on building the wall.  Or, you can stop beating your head against the wall and learn how to be start helping to build the wall in a better way.

For me, helping to build a better wall means living with honor - some call it 'think globally, act locally'.  I am your typical regular guy now - job, wife, kids, house, debts, taxes, worries, etc.  However, I actively participate in local efforts to address social needs and work constructively in small (but real) ways to make the world a better place.

You want to help alleviate poverty?  Don't buy a stupid t-shirt from an organization that promises to do something . . . do something yourself - help an individual who needs help.  You want to help fight AIDS?  Don't wear some silly-assed ribbon - help with local safe sex education efforts and volunteer at a hospice.  You want to fight racism?  Then actually reach out to people of other races - make real friends - if somebody makes a racist remark, tell them you are offended and why.  You want to fight global warming?  Do everything you can to consume less and live responsibly.  You want to fight against the war in Iraq - call your Congressmen and tell them what you think and why.

What happened to the 'No Future Generation'?  We're mostly fine and dandy and hoping that our kids (and grandkids) have the guts to rebel against whatever they see is wrong and then eventually have the courage to learn how to help make things better.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

I promessed to give you more information.
First about the Rolling Stones and Altamont, I agree with SouthPaw, but for most people "peace and love" was that event SYMBOLIC for the "hippie period. The are still people living in a "commune"and I don't understand what such a commune really means. If you live together with women and men, there have to problems, especially jealousy about men-women-men. SouthPaw, are there still a lot of these communes in the USA?
Back to punk: this movement is far underestimated. Punk ideology is concerned with the individual's intrinsic right to freedom, and a less restricted lifestyle. A lot of bands today, are more punk than they realise. The legacy is that even today we can find traces. It was an amazing subculture, which had a big impact on everything: ART  MUSIC (still inspiring a lot of bands) FASHION, ATTITUDE, for a lot of people, it was like a "gift". Like you have always people in a grey zone, neglected, not being popular, outcasts and here they found a lot in this movement. They followed like sheep, and discovered similar people AND A WAY TO BE NOTICED!! The punk style was already there, it is called PROTO-PUNK, Iggy Pop & Stooges, The Ramones (I loved the fact that they all had the same names, like Joey Dee Dee, Tommy, being the only still living Ramone). A real forgotten fact, that IS crucial, is the fact that the sexpistols manager, discovered tht new kind of music in New York, after seeing the NEW YORK DOLLS. (He had a fashion store and was on business trip. He even became their manager for a short time, because the NYD break up. With this knowledge, he started to form a group, "THE SEX PISTOLS". followed by other European bands. History repeats himself an like always, bands jump on the same train. The most famous besides the Sex Pistols and the Clash, the DAMNED but they all created fast, hard music, typically with short songs, stripped-down instrumentation.

James McCormick wrote:

What happened to the 'No Future Generation'?  We're mostly fine and dandy and hoping that our kids (and grandkids) have the guts to rebel against whatever they see is wrong and then eventually have the courage to learn how to help make things better.

james this is an excellent quote from you that I am hoping to save and remember I have saved it and use it in a song sometime. I will copy and paste it, thing is... will i remember? lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending