Topic: The source of this topic: what was the best concert you ever saw

FIRST, I WANT TO THANK RIDDLER.
I didn' steal a single thing, but he inspired me, to post this topic.

WHAT CONCERT WENT STRAIGHT TROUGH THE HEART, AND IS FOREVER BURNED IN THE EYES?
I would love to see, what impact concerts had on us.

1) My first concert, because it is you first concert AND you like the band.
2) Carlos Santana in Barcelona, I was there in function of an exchange program. Why Carlos?
It was already a kick to see 60.000 people in the "bull fight" arena. It started with Paco de Lucia, playing for 45 minutes FLAMENCO. 30 minutes later, Carlos performed for at least 2 hours.
After his performance, only 10 minutes later, a dark stage, and flamenco again, the crowd freaked out, the stage lights went on: Paco. dark again: 2 flamenco guitars, kights on: Carlos and Paco together, this happened another 5 more times, and when the concert finished, 7 guitar players, playing all flamenco. This was a highlight. (also the reason why I wrote this)
3) Pink Floyd on tour playing the animals album, with a gigantic pig, "flying" above the audience.
4) Finally a lot of other bands, when I still was backstage doc, for the artists

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: The source of this topic: what was the best concert you ever saw

Hard question Doc - but the one that is burned into my memory is 1993 -Sheffield - Depeche Mode Devotional Tour.

I  was (and am- but I could go on about their last two poor efforts) a big fan of "Depressed Mode" as we occasionally call them, and that era "Songs of Love and Devotion" was their golden age - dark, rich, anthemic music. The stage set was fantastic, but Dave Gahan was at the height of his "rock star" life style crisis - he was edgy and magnificent - beard, tattoos, stripped to the waist, swan diving into the crowd, really connecting. The vibe was fantastic - DM fans are fanatical and a bit weird - lots of singing and arm waving. Now we are older it doesn't seem the same. Shame. Also a shame that Gahan had to be wasted to be loose! That year he died and was revived after an OD. Now he's nice and clean (and looking good - his new album is out soon). It was a night to remember ..... here's a taste I found - wow brings it all back - was it really-  15 years ago!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b52jhFg930w

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

3 (edited by badeye 2007-10-23 10:19:13)

Woodstock 1994. We seen 33 bands in three days,not a lot of sleep in those three days but well worth it.The hi-lite for me was seeing The Band. Got pretty close to Metacalla
but got consumed up in a Mosh Pit so we went with it. lol.
It was truly Three Days Of Peace And Music. Ten Years After
was also a hi-lite. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Some other bands were;

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Crosby,Stills and Nash

Allam Brothers

Areosmith

Collective Soul

Live

Primus

Bob Dylan

Joe Cocker

Cheryl Crow

Nine Inch Nails

All in all we had a great time.

....Badeye.

one caper after another

#1)Cap Center, Washington DC, 1989
Jeff Beck with Terry Bozio and Tony Hymas/ Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble

#2)RoanokeCivicCenter, Roanoke,VA 1983
Van Halen

#3)TampaTheatre, Tampa, FL 1991
Michael Hedges

#4)BurressAuditorium(VA Tech campus) Blacksburg, VA 1989
Allman Brothers (WarrenHaynes and Dicky Betts on GTR)

#5)The Bandshell, Daytona Beach,FL 1988
The Robert Cray Band

Give everything but up.

This is nice to read, we are going back in time.
I also have good memories seeing Fleetwood Mac, The Rolling Stones, and so many more.
But I will never forget Barcelona, it was so impressive, so amazing, standing in front, people getting almost hysterical, when they started to jam. People were already leaving, but came back, I saw people pushing, almost walking over the heads of others.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

hmm, very hard question and i have not got one answer.

For atmosphere and crowd and the band I think it would be one of the times I saw big country in the Barrowlands in Glasgow. Not too sure what year as I saw them many many times within 6 years.
For tightness and sheer proffesionalism on stage really does have to go to Livin colour in glasgow barralands on 28th March 1993. (  iremember the date so well as this is the date i told my wife she could get an engagement ring or bikers jacket for her birthday)

And recently, for sound, John Prine at the royal glasgow concert hall. This place for acoustic set at least has to have the best sound I have ever heard. Might have had a lot to do wit hthe way john prine played so good maybe? Every single tiny note on the guitar was crystal clear. The sound in this hall is awesome!!

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

OK, forgive me for this one, but the best concert I ever saw, hands down, was KISS, the Destroyer tour.  15 feet from the stage....unbelievable. 
My ears haven't stopped ringing.

25Frankster wrote:

OK, forgive me for this one, but the best concert I ever saw, hands down, was KISS, the Destroyer tour.  15 feet from the stage....unbelievable. 
My ears haven't stopped ringing.

Seeing Kiss in Edinburgh in 1988 was probably the worst concert i have been to. sorry. I thought they were awful

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Jethro Tull, Alice Cooper, the Eagles, Arlo Guthrie, Gordon Lightfoot, and Harry Chapin were all great concerts that I really liked. Tull and Cooper had such great stage shows. The Eagles sounded exactly the same in person as on the radio. Guthrie (twice), Chapin (twice), and Lightfoot were all so good because they really interacted with the audience and you left the concert feeling as if you were leaving a good friends house.  Now days I love seeing any Beatle tribute band that comes to the area.

I'm sure they were lousy in Edinburgh in '88, but all i know is they were great in Cincinnati in '78!
Probably has to do just with the timing too...17 yrs old...there wtih my best friends....great memories!

First concert?   Kiss 1977   the same year I went to Aerosmith, Van Halen, and ZZ Top.  I still have the ticket stubs  $7.50.   all in Memphis, TN

Bobby
kickin.ws

I would have to say Johnny Cash. It was my fist concert and I was like six, but he was so badass!!!! It was my favorite because  it was  the first time I knew I wanted to play guitar. 

other faves

Ozzy w/ Zakk......(saddly i missed out on Randy)
Green Day
The Damned
FooFighters
Rolling Stones.....(There was way to much money put into that show)
Pantera...............( R.I.P. Dime bag )

To be the Best you must first understand the Best
To understand the Best you must become the Best
When you become the Best I Wonder....
Who will become better than You?