Topic: New string joy

Hey hey

I was starting to get concerned about my baby over the past few days. I have been away for a week and on my return she had developed a slight buzz on the 1st string at the 3rd fret. Not a huge loud buzz but a worrying kinda background thing that was more noticeable when I played it hard.

I suffer from sweaty fingers and really need to change strings quite often. I had not changed them for 4 months and so thought I'd see if this would improve things any.

Amazing! Cured! Curse my sweaty fingers.

I just thought I'd share this with the folks on here just in case anyone else has experienced this.

However it does leave me with the problem of what to do prevent this and how to save money on strings. Any thoughts?

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Re: New string joy

Thoroughly wipe your strings down before and after each playing session, front and back sides, with a lint free cloth. This should greatly improve the life of your strings.

Give everything but up.

This is where I feel guilty. I bought one of those string cleaning aids, "the swipe". Does a great job. But in the past few weeks i've been very lazy and never used it.

More fool me.

Never heard of a lazy Scotchman! Get of your arse laddy!

Have you seen the size o my arse?!

I love new strings!  I had a dry toasted bagel for lunch yesterday, so I still had $7 in my pocket to pick up some new strings on the way home.  Just me taking care of my guitar...put some lemon oil on the fretboard...shined her up real good, then played some "unplugged" stuff....Just Like Heaven by the Cure...Numb by Linkin Park....ahhh it was a great night.

I As well get sweaty hands from being nervous and whatnot mostly, It's not so much the sweat in your hands that screws the strings over, as it is the acid and salt.  Nobody on here likes coated strings apparently, most likely because they have never tried them - but coated strings are great for people like us with sweaty hands, because the coating prevents alot of the acid and whatnot from getting to the actual string.  When the $24.00 strings I use go on me finally, it usually has to wait a longgg time to get new ones on it.

DJ Cormier
[url=http://www.bigdjindustriez.tk]www.bigdjindustriez.tk[/url]
myspace.com/bigdjindustriez

Yeah! It's the price that puts me off trying them. What if I fork out the lolly and I don't like them.
Here you see my Scotch-ness coming out. Too tight fisted to try them.

I use coated strings and absolutely love them. Wee bit more expensive but last longer in my opinion. I also find the ones I use a little less harsh on the old fingertips.

I would suggest trying the Elixir range of strings.....can't remember exactly what gauge I use but well worth a shot.

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

I prefer to change my strings once a month because the sound of new strings is much better than old ones so it wopuld be a waste to spend £12/14 on a set when I can get them for £3.70  from Stringbusters.com

I always use 11's

Cheers recitman. Got your email. I've been buying strings off eBay but will need to check out Stringbusters.com.

I also use only coated strings now (Elixir)..lights....they are expensive but are so worth it....I can't even play with the other strings now....I am spoilt....and regular strings feel like they have rust on them to me even if they are new...lol  PS: If you try them (Elixir) and are a hard strummer....buy a stronger gauge string...not light as they will snap easily. wink

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

13 (edited by ozguitarplayer 2007-11-07 21:23:34)

I totally agree with vxn911. Elixir strings are the only ones to use. I have been using them of about 5 years with out fail, well at least till the other day when I found I'd run out of spare sets and the local store didn't have any Elixir so I was forced to buy some normal strings(a well known brand). Even new they didn't sound the same and after two days (I do play a lot and I play hard) they had lost the little tone they had to begin with. After four days I took them off and replaced them with Elixir....never again. Here in Oz they cost about $30 and a regular set costs about $20. The Elixir last about 6 times longer and even when they're flogged out they still sound better than the rest.

www.nofretguitarlessons.com.au