Re: finger pickin

Try a fingerpick beginner's book called "You Can Teach Yourself to Play Fingerpick Guitar" or something very similar to that.  It's a Mel Bay book.  The cover art makes me think it was intended for a 12 year old, but I'm 42 and finding it extremely useful and challanging.  It comes with a CD.  It is written with clear instruction and progresses you slowly with exercises intended to teach one very minor aspect at a time.  You work at your own pace.  Anyway, if you've got the $20 American, it's worth it.  Should be able to find it on Amazon or some such if your local music shop hasn't got it.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Like everything else on guitar finger picking take a while to get used to. There is a list of tabs that are graded in difficulty on my site www.nofretguitarlessons.com.au have a look and download some if you like.
Cheers

28 (edited by netzcoyote 2007-11-07 22:57:26)

So much great advice, your probably well on the way by now...

Anyway, here's what I like to Fingerpick:

Eagles - Hotel California     Em B7 Dsus2 Asus2 C G Am B7     for the Verse. Try to find a Tab that uses these chords. Not only will that teach to learn a nice arpeggio pattern, it also shows how to switch from chord to chord during the arpeggio.

Paul Gross - Ride Forever     The song from the "Due South" - Series. Very easy arpeggio pattern, nice for learning fingerpicing.

Eric Clapton - Wonderful tonight     I'd call that a more classic arpeggio pattern

Also, for practice, you could play the Pachelbel Canon, and use a slightly different arpeggio pattern each time you go around the chord progression.

I hope I'm making sense here.

Cheers.
nc