Topic: DOC ROCKS!!!

The Doc has described his method of strums with "blocked" strums and quick licks worked in.  Well, I'm not effective at running any quick licks, but I decided to try hitting some root notes hard and putting in strums, while 'blocking' every third or so strum.  So it comes out like a serious hit on the bass note, which then rings while I do an upstroke on a strum, then a down stroke on the strum, then an upstroke that's 'blocked' (I assume he meant muted, and muted the chord such that it could still be heard but was more a rhythmic hit than ringing out). 

This "blocked" chords thing of the Doc's is seriously FUNKY.  Funky in a good way.  Not funky like my kid's sneakers.  I LOVE IT!!!!  Doc, you are a freaking genius!   If I could get my butt to Belgium I'd give you a big bear hug and buy you a serious headache.  (The headache would come tomorrow) 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: DOC ROCKS!!!

Funky doc.
FRIEND ZURF. I am still "blocking" strings. I do it more on acoustic guitar.
I was really happy because I learned it pretty fast.  This style is quit special AND even better on acoustic. Before I forget it: "that" style is basicly like "more than words" by Extreme AND "the girl from Ipanema".
I could play already pretty good, and the guy who plays guitar with me is DRUMMER, and my rhythm was not so good. The day I could block these strings (all at the same time) I had "it".
The "it" is for playing alone and keep the rhythm. The girl from Ipanema is such a song.
If you love the technique try to play on an acoustic guitar:
- strum from big E using, (the chords: not relevant ) 1 down,block, strum.., and I CANNOT play solo at all, yes, the little ones.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I always play acoustic because I mostly practice after the kids are in bed and the acoustic is quieter. 
The two songs where I've put it to good use (remember that I never play like the cover, though I wish I had the skill and talent to do so) are:

Cripple Creek Ferry by Neil Young and
Knocking on Heavens Door by Bob Dylan

Seriously, thanks so much for describing your style because it has really put me onto something that's a bunch of fun.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

It took me a while to answe: zurf surfs. As long I have a little me in me I feel fine

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]