Topic: Do you play from your heart or just because you know how?

I had a chance to know B.B. Kings house band guitarist and keyboard player (in Los Angeles, Ca.). Guitar Jack one night asked one of our friends to jam open mike night with the band. Of course my friend declined because of the abilities of Jack (great guitarist and very modest). He replied to Jack " their are kids up there tearing it up I can't sound half as good as them". Jack replied "yeah their just playing scales really fast but don't play from the heart.

This prompted my friend to say to Jack why do you play in a house band instead of recording your own record. Jack replied because I love to play and I play from my heart what I like. The guys up there will never know what that is like. (later that year Jack was called finish the Billy Preston tour in Europe). Jack also said you can play rythem all the time and people will be able to tell that you play from your heart.

Guitar playing is a way I express alot of emotion. Do you play from the heart?

Bootlegger.

Re: Do you play from your heart or just because you know how?

i play from the heart but its stupid becouse everyone thinks im a funny type and they think i should be a comedian but all i wanna do is play guitar

Hi Bootlegger,

As far as I am concerned you HAVE to play from the heart. I do not think that anyone can perform music well without their heart, soul and emotions being fully in tune with it. Whether it be playing an instrument or singing, for a performance to come across, it has to be felt as well as heard.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

This may be stretching it a bit BUT...I beleive if you do play from the heart you can play almost anything. The need to know certain "strumming patterns" is trumped by someone who can play from the heart with a little improvision. It's more a matter of how the song "feels" than actual set patterns.

daDa

Go WINGS..and Tigers,Lions and Reading F.C...C'mon Royals

I play from the heart. Everything els, the techniques, theory and all, are just the tools I use to realize and translate it from heart to hands eventualy to the listeners ear. Both are very important in my playing and I geuss everyone who has a desire and passion to create music or anything els.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

I also play from the heart - music is a means to express emotion, passion, humor, and joy.  The technical stuff is only useful if it helps a player become more expressive.  I would much rather hear people playing & singing music with great gusto (and maybe a few flubs) than hear someone rattle off a technically perfect but expressionless notes.

I have heard players that are technically amazing, but musically boring.  They seem only interested in dazzling other musicians with their technical prowess.  A friend refers to this kind of playing as "talent attacks".  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

I try my best to play from the heart, but my fingers aint capable of translating what my heart says too them yet. sad  I can make the most god awfull racket playing along to a jam trax CD.......but to me, it's the most beautifull sound ever, even if I can still only play 'in the box' as it were........But I will get there.
Of that I'm certain. smile

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

i think that everyone should play from the heart.  i know a kid who's really amazing at guitar, but his fingers do the work, not his heart.  compared to him i suck, but most people say i'm really good.  all that really matters IS that u play from your heart.

I agree with american chaos theory (nice name by the way :-) ). I play from the heart and use the scales as a tool to do this. If you played from the heart but didnt have the tools to do so and sound good then there is no point really.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

Your ability to play any music is directly related to your ability to manipulate the fretboard in a predictable manner.  That sounds calculated and cold, but that's the framework in which creativity flows.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

Your ability to play any music is directly related to your ability to manipulate the fretboard in a predictable manner.  That sounds calculated and cold, but that's the framework in which creativity flows.

that's all that music is. Manipulating notes (there are only a few) in a way that realises what is in you. Very well put, jerome.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

James McCormick wrote:

I also play from the heart - music is a means to express emotion, passion, humor, and joy.  The technical stuff is only useful if it helps a player become more expressive.  I would much rather hear people playing & singing music with great gusto (and maybe a few flubs) than hear someone rattle off a technically perfect but expressionless notes.

I have heard players that are technically amazing, but musically boring.  They seem only interested in dazzling other musicians with their technical prowess.  A friend refers to this kind of playing as "talent attacks".  James

wow, that is some damn good use of words!! lol, but seriously you have stated something that is so true and you sum it up just perfectly. i think for a guitarist to be truely good at what they are doing that the feeling and the heart has to be present otherwise it is as you said, simply a "talent attack".

millie

The sweetest songs are those that tell of the saddest thought. xxx

GUys Im new here, but been playing Guitar since I was 13 (now 35) and have always played from the heart - usually becuase I didn't know any different - I have since leart all the music theory and I have fond that that changed the way I played, making me I think a more accomplished player, but with less emotion, So now I am trying to "un -learn" everything I know and play from my heart...as it always sounds better

When you start playing guitar, you play to learn and learn to play. If you know even only 3-4 chords, learning chords is in my opinion more learning HOW??? than from the heart. First the techniques followed by your guitar play. BUT once I am playing, even a cover: right from the heart. Sometimes you can hear a "very sterile song", just compare a song like "without you.
Harry Nilsson's performance, better tormented performance is a good example, and what almost nobody knows this song is written and performed by BADFINGER, but the Nilsson cover was on the market a couple of months later and you can hear very clear that this song is deep from the heart. The last famous version was performed by Withney Houston (I am not sure for 100%) and to my ears it is NOT AT ALL a good performance, if you compare it with Nilsson. It is not from the heart, more a little or big excersise for the vocal chords. If you love to play guitar, you will automatic play straight from the heart. I am just asking myself: rolling stones, are they still playing from the heart? or the REUNION tours, like the police, heart or wallet? anyway there is something I don't like

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Why bother playing if not from the heart?  How can it be satisfying to you or anyone else?

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

bootleger wrote:

I had a chance to know B.B. Kings house band guitarist and keyboard player (in Los Angeles, Ca.). Guitar Jack one night asked one of our friends to jam open mike night with the band. Of course my friend declined because of the abilities of Jack (great guitarist and very modest). He replied to Jack " their are kids up there tearing it up I can't sound half as good as them". Jack replied "yeah their just playing scales really fast but don't play from the heart.

This prompted my friend to say to Jack why do you play in a house band instead of recording your own record. Jack replied because I love to play and I play from my heart what I like. The guys up there will never know what that is like. (later that year Jack was called finish the Billy Preston tour in Europe). Jack also said you can play rythem all the time and people will be able to tell that you play from your heart.

Guitar playing is a way I express alot of emotion. Do you play from the heart?

Bootlegger.

I play from the heart but to me, it only sounds good when I'm playing in Drop-D on the top 3 strings (D-A-d).

When I start trying scales and jumping around on the fretboard it all sounds like crap to me and I start to repeat myself a lot.

Once I figure out how to channel my heart into individual notes I will sound much better. To me anyway...

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I am new here too...a  Quick comment; I have been playing from the heart for many years. I started on drums  and have played them for many years, and that is purely from the heart but for the past few years I have been learning to play guitar...all kinds of genres but I started with blues, and rock,  some contemporary jazz, now moving into acoustic as well. There is so much heart to draw on and every song that has ever been played can be painted with my own emotions. What a discovery...the heart!!

I started learning guitar around 2 years ago now.
I owned a guitar for 6 months previous to that which I brought because I thought owning a guitar would make me look "cool."
However, once I decided to learn, I fell in love with playing and that love has never left me.
I've always been alright at music, have always taught myself and progressed quickly.
I believe I am like this as I have a real love of music.
The way I see it is, it doesn't matter how well you play, it's the effort you put into the playing that counts.
This doesn't mean you have to try with every song, but if you really do love playing, you will improve at a fast rate.
I know some people that, although absolutely BRILLIANT guitarists, they are very poor musicians.
If you do not love music, no matter how well you play it will always be noticeable to those of us who do.

Ben

It's not how well you play... It's how much effort you put into the playing

Great topic!  I think music becomes art when it's driven by emotion....that's when it becomes timeless--I think that is so cool about music / art; I can listen to Barber's Adagio for strings and not so much "hear" what other people have heard, but I can "feel" what other people have felt.  I think Clapton played the solo in "while my guitar gentlely weeps", and man, you can feel the emotion in his playing.  I think a big problem with a lot of music today, is that it is so engineered, so technically precise, that the emotion is sqeezed out of it.  I'll take Neil Young playing a raggedy solo on "Keep on Rockin' in a Free World", than  some perfect piece--there's soul in that music.
But how do I play?  I'm transitioning, I think--I usually am so concerned with not messing up, I forget to have fun & make the music mine & just play...but I'm working on it.

Wow, a spiritual topic - I love it. Ok here's my piece of the pie......
I started playing guitar because I heard this musician play in Sydney when I was a wee little lad, his name was David Jones from Brixton.I think we are all influenced by someone who made us want to do something different.Then my daughter was born, and now she is the biggest influence in my life.It just gets better and better-you just have to keep going and tap into positive influences in order to get through what is really a hard task to undertake.Yeah defianantly from the heart..........

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"

I think that you can play with a lot of emotion, get really into a song that you can understand, and I think it does make a difference. At the same time, the more technical skill you learn by method and practice, the more you'll be able to express those emotions.
Today actually, I was talking with my brother about how there are some people who get the lessons, know some complicated stuff, but it still sounds like crap. Its missing something. I guess its just true that 'Some of us are born with it, and some of us never get it'......'thank God I'm a guitar [girl really] man".

All You Need is Love smile

i too play from the heart i love music almost as much as my family.
BUT as anyone will tell you you can play from your heart but too lay good
you have to play because you know how.

so why we play= heat
how we play= cause we can

Toxic wrote:

I am gona fight the war and use my music as a weapon!

The problem with the world is people having lack of commen sense...and warning labels. So if we remove warning labels the problem will fix itself.

..The tune starts in the head then changes to notes and sound thorugh the fingers ...but the music....ahhhh the music comes from the Heart...

Peace Love & Rock'n Roll

I agree with last rebel...I think you need to develop your guitar playing skills before you can let yourself go enough to play with emotions from the heart...Learn the song well enough and your hands can play on their own...Pretty cool feeling when that happens...There have been more than a few times when I have played a song that I hadnt played in a long time and I just got into it and my hands remembered the chords when my mind didnt...go figure..

Take two musicians that have the same level of music theory knowledge and the one that plays with emotion and feeling will always be the more enjoyable musician to see perform. Theory filled robots who play with no emotion give me the same absensce of excitement I would occur from observing a person push a button on a well programmed sequencer. It takes talent to know what to program but it's just  not moving to this musician.I am more moved when a performer's true love what they are doing is apparent in their performance. BB King is living proof that one doesn't need hordes of music theory to get out what's inside effectively and moving to most all that hear him play. Mr. King has stated publicly that he doesn't know how to play chords and his solo's aren't from any particular scale, just what "sounds and feels right"............I play from the heart but I've also spent many, many hours educating myself in theory and applying said theorys to countless hours of repetitious practicing. The importance of each(playing from the heart and knowledge of theory) are, in my opinion, equal in importance, providing two people of the same level are being compared, then the heartfelt, soulful player wins everytime.(in my book at least) And one does't have to leap into air or do summesaults while playing but  true desire, love, and enthusiasm for something dear to someone cannot be masked.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.