1 (edited by aradroxar 2007-10-20 14:20:07)

Topic: Another One Of Those "What Amp Should I Get" Topics...

Hello,

I have just bought an Ibanez S470DXQM ...and I am now looking for an amp to replace my Frontman 15B Bass amp (for the love of god, don't ask). I have about £180 (Which I realize isn't a lot but it's all I have ) although I can go up and down a little bit. I will be playing lots of Metallica, Pantera etc, also some classic rock like Led Zeppelin and small bits of Red Hot Chili Peppers and also possibly Hendrix. I want something that sounds good when I practise or jam, and that would be good for small gigs (About 100 people). I have gathered a list of possible amps;

Vox AD50VT £168
Marshall MG50DFX/MG100DFX £155/£180 (I'm told these are crap but hey...)
Line6 Spider III 75 £179 (I'm told these sound digital but, again, hey...)
Hughes & Kettner 60DFX £212.90 (I'm told these are overpriced for what they are but, yet again, hey...)
Crate GTX212 £149
Roland Cube 60 £148.99
VOX AD30VT-XL £169.36 (Ouch)

Please tell me which one you would go for, why and why you wouldn't go for the others.
Also any other recommendations and suggestions you might have will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Adi

Re: Another One Of Those "What Amp Should I Get" Topics...

I've found this site to be extremely helpful and they seem to have the widest selection and lowest prices on the net.

http://www.music123.com/Guitar-Amplifie … 0.Music123

Give everything but up.

I have a Cube 30 and it's very versatile: the 60 will handle small gigs fine.
Vox Valvetronix are excellent.
Marshall MG and Line 6 Spider I personally would not touch.
Dunno about the others on your list as I haven't tried them.

If you are gigging, even smallish shows, a 30W solid state is not going to do it. You need at least 50W, preferably a bit more.

No desire to touch the fire,
It's just a...just a sad obsession.

Argh...50 watts.
Is that the standard?
I may just get a good 30w and continue to mic the amp like I'm doing now with my crappy 14w amp.

=\
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

i prefer the fender hotrod delux deville 2 12 inch speakers tubes reverb and about60 watts it plays loud enough to rattle your teeth but has a great sound about 650.00 or less acapo

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I've played with a guy who uses a small Spider (about $110), and mic's it.  The amp is very clean...very precise.  Sure, all tube is great, blah, blah, blah---but I thought this thing sounded great for the money.

Check out a Kustom Defender for the Marshall type sound at a low price and a Peavey Valveking 112 for a cheap Fender type sound. If you want ultra-clean but luggable then the Cube60 is worth a play.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'