Topic: A question for SouthPaw41L

Hi Toney,

You have mentioned when you perform that you use a piece of equipment to 'loop' your other instruments and this is something I know nothing about. From the little I have picked up I think it can give you drums and then repeat play your instrument, so I have this vision in my mind and to set the scene:

It is a hot sunny day, the local saloon bar is filled with the local townspeople, in one corner a game of poker is in progress and in another is a stage with musical instruments upon it. Then the saloon doors open and a figure is silhouetted between them. A hush falls over the room as this man ambles in. He tall, broad of shoulder (possibly a 41" chest) and narrow of hip, slightly bow legged, wearing heeled riding boots with jangling, silver spurs. He has Levi 501's with a denim shirt, a colourful silk bandana at his neck and a Stetson upon his head. Around his waist is a magnificently tooled, silver buckled leather belt with a matching holster on his left holding a bone handled Colt Peacemaker balanced by a large Bowie knife sheathed on his right. His face is deeply tanned and a hand rolled cigarette dangles from the corner of his mouth. He smiles ruefully and breaks the silence with a slowly drawled "Now you all relax and enjoy your drinks. I done come here to entertain you all" as he makes his way to the stage. (OK remember that I was brought up on Zane Grey, J.T. Edson, The High Chaparral and Rawhide so to me all Americans are Texan cowboys).

Right so now you get onto the stage and flick a few switches and start the drum beat going, then pick up the bass and play the bass for the verse, then you go to the keyboard and add that to the now looping drum and bass, the acoustic is next and then that is changed for the new Washburn. Now you are ready for the vocals and lead guitar, but hang on a minute we have now had four variations of the first verse (and not even thought about the chorus yet) before a note has been sung so the audience will have either dropped off to sleep, gone home for their supper or nipped off to the OK Corral for a gunfight.

Now I do realize that the scenario in the previous paragraph cannot possibly be true so just how does this 'looping' work please.

I have aimed this slightly tongue in cheek question at SouthPaw as I know he regularly uses and advocates this equipment but I would really welcome an answer from anyone.

Take care,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

2 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2007-11-11 22:11:16)

Re: A question for SouthPaw41L

Hey Roger,

It's not like that at all. Variation is the key with looping. Some songs will have no changes all throughout the entire tune so in this case one would be able to get the guitar, percussion, bass, etc. looped and then come in with the vocals and soloing. Other songs that do have changes will require selecting when and where one wishes the looping to occur. Sometimes it may be an intro, other times might call for an instumental bridge in the middle of a song, and other tunes accomodate a super long outro full of wailin' guitars and harmony vocals underneath.

It's all about variety and not being predictable. The loop is a coloring device, not a permanent marker. I most always play a few songs without any fancy gadgets just to show my audience that my effects don't define who I am and what I do musically. Instead the effects simply compliment what I'm trying to convey and transcend to an audience.

The looping process is so much fun and I get tons and tons of inquiries and compliments from onlookers amazed and astounded by the looping process. It's an exact process and if you're off just a wee bit, it gets progressively worse as the song goes on. But when you finally nail it and understand the process, it's like an awakening I've rarely experienced in my 24 year career as a professional musician. Variety, variety, variety!!!!

Peace and loopy Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

p.s. here's a link to the person responsible for my interest in looping;
http://www.jambase.com/Artists/Bio.aspx?ArtistID=1696

Give everything but up.

Hi Toney (or anyone else that can help, please feel free),

OK the system sounds good although I still do not understand the actual mechanics of the process so I have two more questions.

As it is a rather long way to come and look over your shoulder do you happen to know if there are any sites that show how the equipment is used?

As language is a problem for me over here what should I look for in the local music shops if I want to try one out?

Thank you,

Roger

It is a hot sunny day, the local saloon bar is filled with the local townspeople, in one corner a game of poker is in progress and in another is a stage with musical instruments upon it. Then the saloon doors open and a figure is silhouetted between them. A hush falls over the room as this man ambles in. He tall, broad of shoulder (possibly a 41" chest) and narrow of hip, slightly bow legged, wearing heeled riding boots with jangling, silver spurs. He has Levi 501's with a denim shirt, a colourful silk bandana at his neck and a Stetson upon his head. Around his waist is a magnificently tooled, silver buckled leather belt with a matching holster on his left holding a bone handled Colt Peacemaker balanced by a large Bowie knife sheathed on his right. His face is deeply tanned and a hand rolled cigarette dangles from the corner of his mouth. He smiles ruefully and breaks the silence with a slowly drawled "Now you all relax and enjoy your drinks. I done come here to entertain you all" as he makes his way to the stage.

Man, Roger, I want to read the rest of the story! This is good!  Put down that guitar and write my friend!

Frank.

i need to know  what a c6 and f6 is.

The richest child is poor without music.!  smile  cool

Go to youtube.com and do a search for KT Tunstall.  There are a couple of clips on there that she did for French TV, one for 'Black Horse and Cherry Tree,' and another for 'I Want You Back' in which she demonstrates the looping process quite well.  She also plays tambourine with her foot, plays guitar, and turns the loops on and off simultaneously.  It's pretty cool!

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Frank, my question was put this way just to bring a smile to Toney and if you or anyone else enjoyed it like this then I am more than happy. As for writing a novel now that is a completely different ball game but if anyone wants to donate sufficient funds I will go over and follow him around for a month or two for inspiration to complete it lol thanks.

Blinddog, you are a little out of context here but if you look at the large chord chart in the Resources you will find F6 easily. There is no C6 listed but there is a D6 and if you click for the different variations you can find one you can drop down two frets to give a C6.

Dguyton, thank you so much for the link I found it on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-K4CXvxNcw I have saved this to my favourites so I can study it later. She is amazing.

SouthPaw, Toney if you are one tenth as good as KT Tunstall I really want to see you perform. I shall  now start saving for the flight.

Thank you all,

Roger

8 (edited by Detman101 2007-11-15 18:22:32)

Take a look at this video of Wes Borland (Formerly of Limp Bizkit fame) using his loop pedal to play a complete song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV4cqwuNGjo

It shows the amazing possibilities and usage of loop pedals to emulate the entire orchestral section of a band.

=]
Dm

EDIT: had a bad link...

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Thanks Toney, I watched and enjoyed and I am still saving up for the flight.

Thanks too Detman, the link however took me to this nice young chap playing his new guitar "Reon", no loops, no emulated orchestra and little volume, but interesting anyway.

Thank you both,

Roger

Oh crap, I sent you the video of me playing on my guitar.
Thanks for the compliment though!

The correct link is this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg-h7Zgh1EU

My apologies for the mix up.

=p
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle