Topic: GUITAR FOREST

All those brands, wanting a piece of the cake.
It is almost impossible to find a guitar, SO MANY BRANDS.
Even if you only want big brands, it gets really difficult.
- Have you seen how many different Fenders there are
- How many Gibsons
- How many Paul Reed Smith guitars.
- Gretsch is maybe a company (FENDER TOO) who has not too many guitars.
AND, I even didn't mention the "so called" heavy metal guitars, like Ibanez, ESP, Jackson. It is more and more difficult to choose.
One of the "criteria" I use is the fact that some brands, like Gibson, are giving the opportunity to listen, SEE HUMBUCKERS. This gives you already an idea. Last Tuesday I was in a Guitar Store, just Fender, you need a week to try all Fenders, US, Mexican, Squiers.
Same problem with Gibson. I also noticed that Fender has started an acoustic offensive, after neglecting that market for decades. This start to result in guitars having a lower budget at first, and  who are now more and more expensive.
PRS, I wrote a mail to PRS more than a year ago, with the question if they would produce Acoustics. Well, it seems that they are busy to step into the acoustic market.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: GUITAR FOREST

Only one way I've found through the forest Phil, go to shop and ask to plug-in. Did this today and walked out with a discontinued Ibanez bass; light, easy to play and packs a punch. No way I would have picked it plonking through Net pages.

It's also too easy to set your heart on a guitar seen on the Net and then find it can't be got hold of, many limited editions struggle to make it out of the states.

I trusted my ears and laid down the cash (even though the colour was a bit well... metallic sage green....)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Phil,

Cytania is correct you have to try them all, that's why I roll my own (build my own). I know what I am going to get with out any suprises.

Bootlegger.

Your answer is brilliant, and I was thinking already about building an own guitar.
Besides the music stores, you can hear a lot of the guitars on myspace or youtube, or like gibson: on their website, in the humbucker topic.
About plug and play, I did this for my first electric, in fact second, having a fantastic nice Gibson Studio, always detuning. I went to a store, asked for a Gibson Les Paul Standard, For a Fender in a certain price category, like that Les Paul Standard, and a new model PRS, almost nobody knew what a PRS was. It was like this:
- sitting on an amp, to feel the vibrations, and never change the amp position.
- using the 3 brands and 2 extra guitars.
- It felt right using PRS, more than the other guitars.
It still took me some time, but I traded my Les Paul Studio (I mean they took my Studio), I won quite some money on this one, I paid it to a friend, head of the import section at the customs, I paid it $400 and got 900$ for it 1 year later, and this is more or less where it all started: my PRS mania.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]