Topic: New to Chordie and to playing guitar.

I am a new member and new to the guitar. I got inspired to want to play this summer at a Jimmy Buffet concert in Frisco, TX. Everyone was in the parking lot partying and playing guitars, and I thought I would like to do that. Probably goofed when I bought a Fender Starcaster Acustic/Electric at Sam's. It was cheap and it has let me learn basic chords and I am beginning to get to a point where I can play through a few songs slowly. I am currently looking at a Seagull S6 to buy. I think this site will help alot. I will be asking questions. Thanks for any help.

Maury in Round Rock, TX

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

Re: New to Chordie and to playing guitar.

Well of course you are welcome, and Questions: fire all questions, almost all question will be answered, and REMEMBER, when you start and you have some problems, there will be a solution.
Look around, go visit some topics, like Acoustic, Electric, bands...
A lot of "fresh" guitar players ask for songs to start, there are already songs you can find in the topics.
Start with songs, knowing the melody, and depending on your ability to play (beginner, mediocre, good) you will find songs to play. Personally, I love BOB DYLAN, the early Dylan, chords not difficult and quit easy to play.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Welcome Texan4ut,

You will enjoy this site. Ask all the questions you want!
May i suggest you also read all or some of the past threads. there is a
vault of info stored there.

Enjoy enjoy!

Slán,

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Welcome to Chordie and the wonderful world of guitar. You'll find a wide range of fellow guitarist here. Everyone is very nice and helpfull. The Seagull S6 is a great choice. I'm a huge fan of the Godin line myself. You may find it interesting to check out Simon & Patrick, Art & luthier, and Norman guitars also. They are all made by Godin. If you look at the workshop pics on all the sites you'll find it's the same one for all guitars. Or at least with the same layout. These other brands have not became as well known as Seagull has and can often be picked up for a little less. Though they are pretty much the same guitars with the same electronics. Hope this helps a little... Best of luck with the guitar. Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks for the input on Seagull. I will look at the others too. So far I have read amny of the thresds and have gotten alot of good information. I think this site will really be useful and I am recommending to some folks I know who play.

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

Well I bit the bullet and bought the Seagull SG cedar top. It is so much better than what I had. I can't wait to really practice on it.

Getting a new guitar you like will really motivate you.  Play it until your fingers beg for mercy and then play it some more.  Congratulations on a good choice.  The Seagulls are real nice.  I've played a few and liked them well.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey texan.....

I play that model of Seagull and it really plays nice.  Great deep tones.  I bounce back and forth between D'dario lights and custom light strings.  Good luck with it!

Brian.

Zurf, Been doing just that I been playing or in my case practicing until my fingers hurt, then take a break and go for it again.  Brain, I put DAddario custon lights on my cheapy guitar. I liked em and it made it a little easier on the fingers. I will most likely put on the Seagull when it is time. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hey Tex, Just a thought...It's been my experience with the seagulls that Phospher/bronze strings tend to sound much better on them. The wild cherry is a little bright and the phospher/bronze strings really level out the sound. 80/20's ussually seem much to twangy on seagulls with wild cherry sides & back. But that's just my 2 cents. Everyone is diffrent!  I just thought you might appreciate the insight... When it's time to change I'd go Phospher/Bronze lights. Hope it helps! Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

texan4ut wrote:

I am a new member and new to the guitar. I got inspired to want to play this summer at a Jimmy Buffet concert in Frisco, TX. Everyone was in the parking lot partying and playing guitars, and I thought I would like to do that. Probably goofed when I bought a Fender Starcaster Acustic/Electric at Sam's. It was cheap and it has let me learn basic chords and I am beginning to get to a point where I can play through a few songs slowly. I am currently looking at a Seagull S6 to buy. I think this site will help alot. I will be asking questions. Thanks for any help.

Maury in Round Rock, TX

Hello Maury,

Welcome to Chordie. This site will be one the most beneficial tools for you to grow as a musician. Lots of good people here willing to share useful information. Don't hesitate to ask anyone anything, within the realms of decency and sanity.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L, Toney

Give everything but up.

Guitarpix, That is what I put on my cheapy Fender D'Addario EJ 26 Phoshor Bronze. When I change on the Seagull I will most likley use them again as I liked the feel, even on a cheap guitar. According to Seagull's web site they put phosphor bronze strings on .012, .016, .024, .032, 042, .053  A6 LT  I am assuming since I bought mine new this is the strings that are on it. Thanks for the input. And thanks SouthPaw41L. I have already learned quite a bit. Hard part for me is patience. Especially on switching from chord to chord. My mind is faster than my fingers.

texan4ut wrote:

My mind is faster than my fingers.

I have that problem, except it's that my mouth is faster than my mind.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude