Topic: 1/2 an hour. What's so magic about 1/2 an hour?

It seems like every book that I see suggests practicing their style for 1/2 hour per day.  I just got a scales book that suggests practicing the scales 1/2 hour per day IN ADDITION to my regular practicing.  Hardly likely.  I'll do fifteen minutes, take that away from my other practice, and deal with the consequences of slow progress. 

I don't maybe it's just because I'm cranky from writing detailed instructions and having to justify every jot and tittle, but you'd think these guys could differentiate between what is critical, what is important, and what is merely recommended. 

Harumph.  Bah.  And humbug too.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: 1/2 an hour. What's so magic about 1/2 an hour?

It's true.  Maybe I've been suckered; I was practicing 45 minutes per day or so, and then started bumping into other stuff that seemed important, so I keep adding onto my practice time.  15 minutes or so on right hand drills, 15 minutes on fretboard memorization, left-hand warmup, 30 minutes on scales, 30 minutes on strumming patterns/chord changes/barre chords, 30 minutes on repertoire...  I'm up to a solid 2 hours a night, with no end in sight.  I need to work on fingerpicking, really hit the barre chords so that my thumb quits cramping up, add some style practice.

It's coming down to organization, and what needs to be worked on daily, and what can safely be done less often.  My problem seems to be that I regard it all as in the 'every day' category.  I don't begrudge the time spent (I'm having a blast), but it's about to consume my life!

How do you choose?

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

3 (edited by johncross21 2007-11-15 22:57:13)

the reality is that no amount of practice is going to make ou a master of all guitar styles

Jimi Hendrix used to practice all the time - in the bathroom - and when cooking - impressive results but Jimi by the large didn't master folk or classical

BB King another master with a life times practice - claims not to play chords

the edge, U2 - claims he  doesn't play scales

what songs do you want to play - what do you want to master - what can you safely neglect

for me the answer is

sight reading - not in this lifetime

shred, tapping, sweep picking - I'm too old

common time signatures - if you can't tap your foot to it - leave it to the jazz band

the longest sets  I have ever heard played was by The Cure - the band played about 25 songs -  that's all you need**

once you learn the basics you can mantain a repetoire with half an hour a day

but, of course, you will never play like Jimi

lol

john

** actually I once watched Hawkwind play all afternoon. i think they played about 7 tracks - but thats more to do with substance abuse than regular practice

for me personally Ive never practiced a scale in my life, never done a drill, or done fret board memorization. Hell ive never done a hand warm up.  because for me that would ruin guitar, I just love playin by sound and messin around figure stuff out and the like.. but as you can see, dguyton loves that stuff, so i guess its whatever makes you happy?

so i would say, budget your time for, first and foremost, whatevers the most fun for you

I don't believe there is anything magical about practicing for 1/2 hour.
The important thing is to practice each day!
Your muscles and mind need the daily dose of repetition.

If possible, practice for at least 1/2 hour.  Ideally each practice session should have some goals.  Don't just sit and noodle around - work on specific skills that you need to master.  The advantage to using instructional method books or online courses is that they will present you with goals that are useful AND attainable.

Following a relatively rigid or structured course of study may run counter to some people's sense of artistic freedom.  However, my experience is that doing anything every day (and doing it with focused effort) will yield real results.

'Practice' has negative connotations for many people - so, think of it as 'worship' or 'meditation' or 'training' or 'recreation' or 'pushing the envelope' . . . Once playing every day becomes a part of your life you will hear and feel real improvement.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

dguyton wrote:

It's true.  Maybe I've been suckered; I was practicing 45 minutes per day or so, and then started bumping into other stuff that seemed important, so I keep adding onto my practice time.  15 minutes or so on right hand drills, 15 minutes on fretboard memorization, left-hand warmup, 30 minutes on scales, 30 minutes on strumming patterns/chord changes/barre chords, 30 minutes on repertoire...  I'm up to a solid 2 hours a night, with no end in sight.  I need to work on fingerpicking, really hit the barre chords so that my thumb quits cramping up, add some style practice.

It's coming down to organization, and what needs to be worked on daily, and what can safely be done less often.  My problem seems to be that I regard it all as in the 'every day' category.  I don't begrudge the time spent (I'm having a blast), but it's about to consume my life!

How do you choose?

I can think of many things that could be worse in consuming ones' life. Go with it, let it consume you. I had the same illness 25 years ago you're having now and today, I'm a full-time professional working musican. Follow your heart, put your family first (because they will always be your biggest fans) and stay dedicated and focused.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L, Toney

Give everything but up.

7 (edited by dguyton 2007-11-16 16:32:53)

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I can think of many things that could be worse in consuming ones' life. Go with it, let it consume you. I had the same illness 25 years ago you're having now and today, I'm a full-time professional working musican. Follow your heart, put your family first (because they will always be your biggest fans) and stay dedicated and focused.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L, Toney

I hear you.  I do have the advantage, if you can call it that, of having no family to speak of (divorced, no kids); and focus and dedication don't seem to be an issue.  I'm at a point where changing careers is going to be a possibility in a few years, and I'm heavily leaning toward getting into luthiery in the meantime, and opening a small shop when my finances hit my own 'magic number.' 

Bootlegger, if you're tuning into this discussion, do you have any advice?

(Sorry about the threadjack, Zurf!)

--David St. Hubbins

1/2 hour has been the standard recommended practice length for every instrument I've ever played, for as long as I can remember.  It gives you enough time to warm up properly, and then work on whatever your practice goal is.

But as James notes, what will make you a much better player is daily practice, of whatever length is working for you.   

Keep your guitar out of it's case, on a stand, next to where you park your butt at the end of the day.  It makes daily practice a whole lot easier.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

A quote from Iggy Pop:

"The best way to kill your music is to sit down every day and work at it. You've got to sneak up on it and catch it when it's not looking."

dguyton wrote:

(Sorry about the threadjack, Zurf!)

No sweat.  I was just ranting anyway. 

I play every day, but as James pointed out there's a difference between playing and practicing.  At first, playing as practicing, but now I've got the open chords pretty well (excepting Bm and the whole retinue of suspended and diminished and such) and can hit them such that I can strum a song first time through.  So now it's including songs that have Bm (the barre version), F, and F#m.  I play those transitions twenty or thirty times before or after each song.  So, I guess that's kind of practice. 

It's the scales I'll be playing in the new book.  I hate scale and arpeggio exercises (or at least seem to recall that I didn't like them when I was playing classical bass so long ago it's hard to believe it was even me).  But I now recognize how important they will be to move my playing forward to where I'd like to get it. 

It's just the 1/2 hour I was complaining about.  Seems like everyone wants to put claims on my time, even people I've never met. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

There seems to be alot of opinions floating around about how to learn the quickest, learn the best, how long, which way, when where and how you should practice. But if you look at anybody who's ever made a name playing guitar, if you look at a lot of good players who haven't, you'll find there wasn't a magic formula, and there wasn't a concious decision to make themselves do this today, and for a certain length of time, they just played. thats the key to playing guitar, you just play. The more you play, the better you get, and you don't have to think about it. Whether you spend your  playing time on scales, or chords, or just jammin' to your favorite tunes, all the lessons in the world aren't gonna manifest anything if you don't just get in there and do it.

All You Need is Love smile

The key to playing the guitar is to be able to manipulate the fretboard in a predictable manner.  The only way to do that is practice.

Shawn Lane on practice as a youngster.

"I practised a whole lot when I was very young, between 10 and maybe even 18. I used to practise..just play guitar all the time. "

And look how that worked out for him.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I recall a quote from Dweezil Zappa: "If you do something for 8 hours a day, you eventually get good at it."

I just wish I had that extra 8 hours, without giving up sleep (and still being able to draw a paycheck).

--David St. Hubbins

I SUGGEST TO GO TO MY TOPIC.
I wrote a lot about what can happen by playing to long.
And about 1/2 hour practising, let's say maximum; 1 hour BUT, like always, the more you work, the more skills you get. I am comparing this with the medical world, there is fenomenal big difference between studies (here it takes 7 years) and practising. YOU ARE ALONE, because you can't afford it to work with 3-4 medical docs. Here in Belgium: the so called "collegiality"is far from what it means.Doctors are all selfish, and if you are successful they throw with mud. I certainly walked in the narrow lines, people often called me Rock Doc, I took my time,... I worked more than 14 hours everyday, even after my car crash: I HAD TO STOP, because I was exhausted.
If you feel good 100%: go for it, the only condition: "listen to your body". Like starting guitar players can have some nasty problems, just 1 example, the tips of your fingers. I have seen players with, this extreme, blisters on the tops of the fingers. I suggest you to start about 30 minutes, and you see what I mean, fingertips are painful, that goes away, but DO NOT TRESPASS the PAIN LIMIT, and it sounds maybe crazy, sit and play. I can' play anymore standing there on stage, I have to sit. Just try a GIBSON LES PAUL and you will feel what I mean

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

johncross21 wrote:

** actually I once watched Hawkwind play all afternoon. i think they played about 7 tracks - but thats more to do with substance abuse than regular practice

My God, I saw Hawkwind in Hull about 1983 forgotten all about them!  As far as I remember it was Sonic Attack - Great stuff!  Thanks for the reminder!

I'm the son of rage and love

gitaardocphil wrote:

I can' play anymore standing there on stage, I have to sit. Just try a GIBSON LES PAUL and you will feel what I mean

Gotcha on that!  I've got an Ovation Magnum bass and my lower back and shoulder where the strap comes across are usually killing me after warm-up, practice, and a first set.  For some reason, I just can't bring myself to play bass sitting down.  I don't even sit down with my bass when jamming or practicing.  I do sit when playing my guitar though.  Go figure.  Lost my marbles, I suppose. 

- Zurf