1 (edited by RavenLady 2007-11-17 23:40:36)

Topic: My First Electric!

I just bought my first Electric Guitar, a Highway One Strat HSS.  Sunburst.  Very cool.  Got a little Fender G-DEC Amp to go along with it.  I bought my first acoustic about a year and a half ago.  I take lessons and love playing it but man, it's hard on the fingers.  I'm hoping the electric will allow me to be able to practise and play longer.  smile  I'm so excited.  I was just going to get a Mexican Strat but did some research in these forums and around the web and figured I'd rather get an American made Strat for lots of reasons.  Glad I spent a few hundred more on this one.  I'll have it for years.  Wish I had done that with my Takamine G -Series Acoustic.  Although I love the Takamine too.  OK, going to go play now.  Rock On!

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Re: My First Electric!

Have fun RL :-) Amplified sound is a whole new world.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

RavenLady wrote:

I just bought my first Electric Guitar, a Highway One Strat HSS.  Sunburst.  Very cool.  Got a little Fender G-DEC Amp to go along with it.  I bought my first acoustic about a year and a half ago.  I take lessons and love playing it but man, it's hard on the fingers.  I'm hoping the electric will allow me to be able to practise and play longer.  smile  I'm so excited.  I was just going to get a Mexican Strat but did some research in these forums and around the web and figured I'd rather get an American made Strat for lots of reasons.  Glad I spent a few hundred more on this one.  I'll have it for years.  Wish I had done that with my Takamine G -Series Acoustic.  Although I love the Takamine too.  OK, going to go play now.  Rock On!

Good choice get it set up and it will have a better playing action.

Bootlegger.

4 (edited by RavenLady 2007-11-20 15:08:36)

Thanks Cytania and Bootleger.  smile  Yeah, Adam at the store already lowered the action a bit for me.  Might get him to lower it a tad bit more today after my lesson.  Man, am I having fun with this.  Sooo much easier to play.  (although I've been sick the past two days and haven't played much) My husband was fooling around on it the other day.  Having a great time doing some bass lines.  Sounding like Pink Floyd etc.  He said he might like to get a bass.  He currently has a Tabla type drum, tambourine and chicken shake to play along with me.  Sooooo.....yesterday I had to swing by the shop to pick up a stand for my new "baby".  I got talking to the manager about a bass.  Well they had this sweeeet deal on a box kit.  Comes with a Fender Squire Jazz Bass, Fender bass amp, strap, gig bag (Paul figured that must be filled with two bottles of axe deodorant spray, rolling papers and pen and paper to write down all the "babes" numbers, well I laughed when he said that), bass tuner, instructional DVD and cord.  Got it for $309 plus tax. Got him a stand as well and we're off to the races.  I phoned him at work when I got home.  Told him I did something crazy and he actually guessed that I bought him a Bass.  I guess we know each other pretty well.  He was so happy and very excited when he got home last night.  Said the song, "Big Bottoms" from Spinal Tap kept running thru his head all day.  Told him it was in mine too!  I said I also wanted to paint the number 11 on his volume control.  LOL  Now I need to find some Bass tabs for him to some or all of the tunes I already know.  cool

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

That's the most sensitive part playing guitar. There are different opinions about "play time" I think it will be easier on electric, but NEVER CROSS THE PAIN LIMIT.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I agree.  With the acoustic I have to take a day off in between sometimes, from the pain.  I also cook allot, so my hands are in water constantly.  Makes it hard to keep the callouses in tune.  I'm hoping the Electric will make it a little easier.  All part of the fun of playing though, right?  Cheers!

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Actually RL, electric gets you callouses in new places! Most solo techniques rely on covering a fret with a whole finger so you tend to get hard skin lower down. Bass will do the same, unless I'm doing something wrong! (meaning to book some bass tuition soon and have this dread feeling they'll say 'Ah you're playing bass like a guitarist, my my we have alot of bad habits to unlearn...tsk tsk')

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

8 (edited by RavenLady 2007-11-20 17:11:15)

I bet you're right Cytania.  Already I find can play barre chords much easier on the electric.  That's funny you mention your "bad habits" on the Bass.  I found a site for my husband today on some basics and they said the same thing.  Ha. Ha.  Here's the link if you're interested.  Free advice and stuff.   http://www.studybass.com/lessons/basics … ners-make/   

Cheers!

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez