Topic: Singing and Playing

Hi folks,

been playing a while now and still have not mastered singing and playing at the same time.

Funnily enough, I can play arpeggios and sing (e.g. street spirit, house of the rising sun, streets of london).

But when I strum chords, I always start strumming the rhythm of the lyrics.  I can't seem to separate the two.

I've started accompanying the CD of songs I'm learning to get rhythm and timings together.

I'm sure it's down to practice, practice, practice, but I also know that if I don't have a battle plan, then I'll just reinforce my bad habits (as I've done over the years to date...)

I like almost any kind of music...

What do you do?

Re: Singing and Playing

To be honest its one of those things i foung the most difficult but then it cracked with easy songs like Ironic - alanis morrissett, Time of your life - Greenday,  and learn them out of general acoustic books you can buy at music shops so you have all the correct tabs and lyrics... find a wide open space where no one will hear you and keep at it... it will just come to you and it'll be one of the best feelings in the world. It improved my guitar playing once i cracked it too.

i had the same problem but i found it went, the more i got used to playing the songs. i too play and sing house of the rising sun and just found that after awhile, the guitar bits are second nature so i donthave to think about changing chord or picking.

i'd just recommend that...learn the song until it's almost second nature. i know some are tricky, but...yeah. lol

hope it goes well for you

yeah, like blindy says, learn the song very well.

I still learn a song by playing it and singing it at the same time, I get to know what chord I am on when I start to sing a verse or chorus, the rest just comes if you know the song well enough.

And sometimes I use the songs of chordie but I dont try to make them sound exactly the same as the original artisit. I do my own version as much as possible. If you like it then keep playing it the way you want to and ignore anyone that says you have destroyed it.

If you like it then others will

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

i have the same problem as well..

i'm trying to learn Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day. It seems easy. But when I try to sing while playing, I just can't. I end up messing up the strumming or messing up the song's rhythm.

For me it works best to always start learning a song by both singing and playing together.  If the exact words are too difficult, then I just howl out the melody as best as I can until the playing mechanics settle into my brain a bit. 

It all might sound pretty awful at first what with all the howling and thrashing - - but it works for me.

I agree whole-heartedly with Upyerkilt's observation that you do your own version of a song and don't get all obsessive about making it sound like someone else's recording of a song.  Mimicry is not musicianship.

If I want to really polish up a song after both the lyric and accompianment are firmly in my head, I find it very useful to sing it with no instrument - - I'll knock out the beat on the body and/or with my big smelly feet and sing as strong and clear as I am able - - again, it might sound pretty awful at first but it is necessary to really learn the song.

Too many players are very anal about what they do with their fingers and assume that the singing is going to 'just happen'.  Too often, players are hunched over their instrument in such a way that they can't draw a full breath, much less get enough wind to sing a complete lyrical phrase.

Vocalizing takes deliberate effort (and strength)- straighten up our spine and neck, hold your head up (not looking down at your fingers), breath from the deep gut, relax your throat, and open your mouth.  Good vocal technique is no mystery - posture and breathing is the key.

If you must sit down to play - sit erect on the edge of your seat (not slumped back or hunched over your instrument).  I prefer to stand to play and sing - it is more fun and it's easier to breathe.

Everybody's voice is unique - as long as you sing with confidence and conviction it will sound good - at least that's what I keep telling myself.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

In some songs the lyrics are actually fighting with the guitar chords. This is often true of rock songs. There's a tension between them that makes for an exciting sound. Of course in a rock band the guitarist and leader singer are often seperate people...

Likewise some songs have tricky changes of key and tempo ('Suspicious Minds') that make them great on record but hell for the beginner.

Look for songs with a simple chord change towards the end of each verse, this is very common and traditional. Your vocal will either rise or fall with this for emphasis.

The best kind of songs have chords that take over in the pause between sung lines. So you get to take a breath and strum confidently for a second. Cliff Richard and the Shadow's 'Young Ones' is bullet-proof this way. It's very call and response; 'once in every lifetime' is answered by a guitar strum that exactly matches it, ditto 'comes a love like this'.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

If singing and playing are too hard, here is another way to use your mouth and get a melody line going.  This is an amazing video clip . . .

Just stumbled upon this video clip at janisian.com

Take a look - it is an amazing (and highly original) bit of musicianship!

Here is the link (although I don't know if it will work within the context of this forum).

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/woz/filechute/teaspoon2%5b1%5d%5b1%5d.mpg.mpeg" target="_blank"> http://homepage.mac.com/woz/filechute/t … 1%5d%5b1%5 d.mpg.mpeg</a>

If the link won't work, just copy and paste into your browser bar.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Dont frustrate yourself trying to "Practice singing and playing". This is one of those things that inevitably happens as you get better and better and simple chords become subconcious. That is, after a couple years of playing regularly you stop thinking about movement or finger placement, your hand just goes from C to G to F etc..

What' smost important is just to keep playing and having fun. The muscle memory will come.

Hi Folks,

Maybe time to own up that I've been playing for about 15 years, simply playing chords is good, also been taking classical guitar lessons for about 4 years now, so my fingers move well and I have a reasonable general sense of timing etc.  My biggest problem seems to be in maintaining the 2 separate rhythms.

Maybe I'm trying to push myself too much and should simplify the music, but this problem even goes for playing Mull of Kintyre with simple chord progression and simple 3/4 downstrums.

When learning a new classical piece, the trick is to sloooowwww down, but one can only do that so far when you have to sing along.

I've had some success with the "learn the song very well" advice, I found that I was sometimes playing some extra beats to fit around the words, stretching some bars and shrinking others to suit.  But the problem still remains.

Thanks for all your kind words and advice, they've helped relieve the impatience somewhat.

I'll just keep trying

cheers

--

Colm

Do this.

Right now, strum your hand up and down two times every second as if you were holding a guitar. Now sing a song, like happy birthday for instance. Can you sing happy birthday without it sounding as if your saying words falling on beats that happen every 1/2 second? Sing a christmas song.

If you can do that, then you can play guitar and sing. Just keep that hand moving at a steady interval while using guitar/palm/finger mutes in place of rests. Remember you dont have to actually make contact with the string just make sure you keep that hand moving at a steady pace withhout interuption.

Now that i've given it further thought, i believe that this was the "stepping stone" exercise that got me into singing and playing.

I had the same problem for years. Then as I learned how to change chords better it just came all at once.

Keep practicing.

Ps. it only took me that long because I only practiced once a week. Now I practice every day

Eddie

I don't know if you know who Roy Clark was, but he was one of the best guitarist of 80's country music and a great country singer... but he never could play and sing at the same time....