Topic: ACTIVE IN CHURCH

As I wrote probably, as answer, I am fascinated by the USA culture, especially concerning music in CHURCH. We don't have a tradition here. We start to become, even being Catholic, very LAZY. There are compared to 30 - 40 years ago, a minority who is still active, by going to church. I don't know why, but the way we are treated by the pope, is not to be excited. So all different religions, like New Born Christians, Baptists, Protestants and the fact of playing music, gospel, should be very useful. A big CATHOLIC problem is that priests are not allowed to marry, and no women as priest.
The "celibate" was started in 800 AC, to receive more money. It where most NOBLE men who became priest, and using the celibate, all the money went to the Church after the dead of a priest.
They are speaking of a revival (???), and a strange fact was always this: a priest had almost always a housekeeper, he could live with a woman, while it was a great sin for others.
It is a difficult problem

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: ACTIVE IN CHURCH

It's not difficult at all.  Ditch the tradition that priests have to be celibate.  There's no scriptural basis for it at all. 

I'm active in my church.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Music in church is pretty much down to individual churches. Music in my church tends to be very traditional and classical. However, there is an active acoustic group who have an occassional input (not enough in my opinion).

Celebacy? I'm with Zurf on that one.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Celebacy, I am 100% (99%) sure that "preventing a priest from being married" is the reason. It was, as told a BIG HONOUR to become a priest, and most were noble, but the way it is now is more destructive. About Scotland, wasn't there a big Catholic religion, (like Mary Queen of Scots) or is this now not longer Catholic?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

There is still a HUGE Catholic presence in Scotland. In fact some would say Scotland is notorious for it's Protestant/Catholic divide. Very similar to Ireland but with not quite as violent  a recent history.

The old question "what school did you go to?" was designed to determine if someone was Catholic or Protestant. The Catholic Church still reserves the right to send it's children to all Catholic schools.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Oh, music.  Our church is blessed with a terrific worship leader.  We do some of the modern worship and praise songs that have an alternative rock sound.  However, he also writes a few songs now and then that have a folk-rock sound.  They've done arrangements on a few hymns as well.  I like that.  The lyrics of the old hymns are terribly useful for reinforcing the teaching of the sermons. 

The worship leader is open to Country Gospel, I think, (my preferred religious music style) but our lead pastor cannot stand country music.

We had a rap group perform this past Sunday.  I wasn't into it, but there were some folks in the congregation that were grooving.  No sense in leaving folks out.  I like the idea of using a variety of musical styles so that everyone can find some reason to be offended.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf, I just got back from the National Youth Workers Convention in Atlanta, and there was some INCREDIBLE worship going on.  In the middle of his set, David Crowder says "I feel a howdown coming on!" and breaks into "I saw the Light" that braught the house down.  He's just flat-out the best worship leader I've ever seen.

8 (edited by Zurf 2007-11-20 18:32:09)

I Saw The Light.  I think I have those chords somewhere.  I've been working on a fingerpick/bluegrassy version of "I'll Fly Away."  Going to be catching up with my sister over the holiday.  She's a banjo picker, so figured I'd so a clawhammery sort of thing and wound up with something completely different.  She should be able to clawhammer along, though.  I love singing with her.  We're kind of like wine and cheese when we sing.  Either of us is no better than only so-so but together we're pretty good.  There's nothing in the world like family harmonies working a bluegrass tune.  My other sister will be there too.  She's a piano player, and I don't expect the cottage we've rented will have a piano but that doesn't mean she can't sing along.  My dad tells me her boyfriend's got a good tenor voice.  I used to know him 30 years ago, but I was such a pup then that I haven't got a chance to remember what he sounds like.  He's a piano player too, but he went pro for a time so I expect that he knows his way around a flat-top too.

- Zurf

boy after reading all the post on priests ,church i could write a book in fact many have been written  im sure about celibacy i think taking a man or woman and depriving them of there natural born wants is destructive it  destroys  their ability to function as an individual its not natural i can recall a quote from the bible "go forth and multiply" its kind of hard to multiply if the only thing you use the tool for is peeing acapo

"Growing old is not for sissies"

10 (edited by last_rebel 2007-11-20 19:49:57)

I think its actually in the Bible that its not good for a man to be alone or something.... One of the epistles talks about how you ought to beware of those who tell you not to marry, but you know every denomination has thier little quirks.
  One thing to realize is the hugely different mindset and atmosphereof Catholic, versus non catholic services. Our services are divided (basically) into two parts: The 'Worship Service' and the Sermon. the worship service is basically an opening for the cogregation to 'praise and worship' corporately, through the use of singing, clapping, shouting, it varies some from denomination to denomination. Every church is a little different, but basically you have a 'song leader', who directs the choir, or band, or 'praise team', in the song while the congregation sings along out of a hymnal, or by reading the words on projector screen.
Then the minister, (usually called a 'pastor' or 'preacher' instead of priest) gives a sermon, usually where he takes a scripture and explains it, reinforces doctrine, then most churches tie it up with some kind of open invitation for decision, which leads to the altar call. The altar call is a time in the service where anyone who wants to, can come pray by themselves at the altar, ask for prayer from the preacher or other ministers (song leaders, deacons, elders, some of us actually have bishops even), repent publically, join the congregation officially, make a confession of salvation, ask for baptism, etc. etc.
  We also have sunday school which is before church, and other various programs, the best of which being 'dinner on the grounds' big_smile

All You Need is Love smile

i think you should take a look at gen:1-26 i was not correct in "go forth but the words say be fruitfull and multiply one thing thats hard to figure out is gen:1-26 let us make man in "our image"why the plural ? the scribes who recorded this must have made a typo i am still confused with gen:1-27 "god created men in his own image he created male and female"in gen:2-7  adam was made from the dust and last eve in gen:2-22 my question is according to the references was adam and eve 1st or was it  the other people mentioned earlier? im sure it can be explained ihave belonged to a few churches i feel anything that can give you a sense of belonging and congregating with nice people reminds me of something rocky said in the first movie if you hang out with nice people you have nice friends. acapo

acapo wrote:

i think you should take a look at gen:1-26 i was not correct in "go forth but the words say be fruitfull and multiply one thing thats hard to figure out is gen:1-26 let us make man in "our image"why the plural ? the scribes who recorded this must have made a typo i am still confused with gen:1-27 "god created men in his own image he created male and female"in gen:2-7  adam was made from the dust and last eve in gen:2-22 my question is according to the references was adam and eve 1st or was it  the other people mentioned earlier? im sure it can be explained ihave belonged to a few churches i feel anything that can give you a sense of belonging and congregating with nice people reminds me of something rocky said in the first movie if you hang out with nice people you have nice friends. acapo

Acapo,
Thank you for making me study again, I have been in a spritual desert for a time. Gen 1:27 actually reads "So God creted man in his own image, in the image of God he created him: male and female created he them". The writer of the book of Genesis is refering to man & woman as a couple being the the image of God together as one. Gen 2:7  "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breath into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Gen 2:22 "And the rib which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. So God created Adam first from the dust & Eve from Adam's rib. The verse that said " be fruitful & multiply is Gen 1:22, God had just created the animals of the earth and was telling them to multiply and fill the earth. Later on in scripture it mentions that we as humans should also multiply. (was to lazy to look up the last scripture).  Hope this helps.

Of the pulpit.
Bootlegger.
Bootlegger guitars.

BOOTLEGGER you refered to gen:1-27 and your understanding of this is "man and woman as a couple being the image of god together as one" since this is not in the book it has to be your opinion my opinion is there is a contradiction if god created adam and eve first how could they be first if he created "male and female" before adam and eve huh acapo

What IS in the book is a good number of scriptures comparing the relationship of Christ and the church to that of man and woman.

All You Need is Love smile

1st, any church telling me I can't get busy isn't going about winning my business in the right way.

2nd, I've got a project in mind to put together a bluegrass revival group, and do the church circuit.  Most church and worship bands are boring (sorry worship band players!) as all get out.  I think a little boot stomping revival bluegrass is just the thing to liven up your average Lutheran service.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Jerome, I just got back from a Youth Workers convention, and one of the speakers called Lutherans the "Frozen Chosen", so I think you're on the right track.  And she was an equal opportunity offender, I'm not all hung up on titles (which tend to get in the way of the important work), but I do go to a United Methodist church.  She started her talk by saying that she "had a conversation with a United Methodist right before the seminar...that's not unusual around these parts, but the fact that he was literate was".

acapo wrote:

BOOTLEGGER you refered to gen:1-27 and your understanding of this is "man and woman as a couple being the image of god together as one" since this is not in the book it has to be your opinion my opinion is there is a contradiction if god created adam and eve first how could they be first if he created "male and female" before adam and eve huh acapo

Acapo,
If I am understanding you correct (emphasis on understanding you correct). "is there is a contradiction if god created adam and eve first how could they be first if he created "male and female" before adam and eve" (copied from Acapo's quote above) The best way I may attempt to explain this is in this manner. Before you were concieved, before your parents met and fell in love was your name picked out knowing that you were going to be a male child? (not trying to be condesending it's hard to explain so that it may be understood). When your or anyone else's parents copulated, they knew the results of their action was a pregancy. (opening another can of worms) a child, not knowing be it a boy or girl child , just a living human form. Before the child was born the parents picked out a name for male or female. Now with that said the child looking like the biological parents one half mother & one half father together as one child in the image (or looking like) both parents, only one child (unless they are twins). Man being not the definition of a male but as a human. God created man (once again not the definition of male) in his image. The idea, the plan, the production then the final result named Adam for the first male, took his rib and made first woman named here Eve.

Hope this may be as clear as mudd.

Bootlegger.

bootlegger i do not see how christ and the church compare to a man and a woman the relationship of christ and the church is that of the church{people,congregation}giving praise to the redeemer and saviour gods son or god on earth the holy spirt this is not the same as a man and woman.a man works and so dose the woman they have fights and make love have babies and all of them sin at times which is why christ was put on the cross to die for them i have wondered why the book of song of solomon was included in the old testement it relates a mans feeling towards his beloved it describes in detail his physical discribtion of his hearts desire biblical scholars have long debated this book my bible points out that this collection of love songs has long been an enigma and many interpretations have been offered for it.this love relationship" could"signify the the relationship between god and his people or christ and his church before you start typing "i told you so" the key word is COULD and OR what im getting at is some people believe this some dont some worship trees,rocks idols and some dont worship anything this compairison has cause me to research the good book more and i thank you for that well i'll get off the pulpit and back to music its funny how there entertwined acapo

25Frankster wrote:

Jerome, I just got back from a Youth Workers convention, and one of the speakers called Lutherans the "Frozen Chosen", so I think you're on the right track.  And she was an equal opportunity offender, I'm not all hung up on titles (which tend to get in the way of the important work), but I do go to a United Methodist church.  She started her talk by saying that she "had a conversation with a United Methodist right before the seminar...that's not unusual around these parts, but the fact that he was literate was".

Ha!

Best joke along those lines I've ever heard was

"The Jews don't recognize Jesus as the son of God.  The Catholics don't recognize Martin Luther's proclamations.   The Baptists don't recognize each other at Hooters."

And on a more topical note,

Plastic Jesus, a great traditional of unknown origin, but made famous by Paul Newman in "Cool Hand Luke" (one of the all time great movies.)

I don't care if it rains or freezes
'Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car
Through my trials and tribulations
And my travels through the nations
With my plastic Jesus I'll go far

Riding down a thoroughfare
With His nose up in the air
A wreck may be ahead, but He don't mind
Trouble coming He don't see
He just keeps His eye on me
And any other thing that lies behind

When I'm in a traffic jam
He don't care if I say "damn"
I can let all my curses roll
Plastic Jesus doesn't hear
'Cause he has a plastic ear
The man who invented plastic saved my soul

Plastic Jesus, plastic Jesus
  Though the sunshine on His back
  Make Him peel, chip and crack
  A little patching keeps Him up to par

When I'm goin' fornicatin'
I got my ceramic Satan
Sinnin' on the dashboard of my car
The women know I'm on the level
Thanks to the wild-eyed stoneware devil
Ridin' on the dashboard of my car

Riding home one foggy night
With my honey cuddled tight
I missed a curve and off the road we veered
My windshield got smashed-up good
And my darling graced the hood
Plastic Jesus, He had disappeared

Plastic Jesus, plastic Jesus,
  No longer chides me with His holy grin
  Doctors in the X-ray room
  Found Him in my darling's womb
  Someday, He'll be born again!

I don't care if it bumps or jostles
Long as I got the twelve apostles
Bolted to the dashboard of my car
Don't I have a pious mess
Such a crowd of holiness
Strung across the dashboard of my car

I don't care if it's dark or scary
Long as I have magnetic Mary
Ridin' on the dashboard of my car
I feel I'm protected amply
I've got the whole damn holy family

You can buy a sweet Madonna
Dressed in rhinestones sitting on a
Pedestal of abalone shell
Goin' ninety, I'm not wary
'Cause I've got my virgin Mary
Guaranteeing I won't go to Hell

God made Christ a holy Jew
God made Him a Christian too
Paradoxes populate my car
Joseph beams with a feigned elan
From the shaggy dash of my furlined van
Famous cuckold in the master plan

Plastic Jesus, plastic Jesus
  Once his robe was snowy white
  Now it isn't quite so bright
  Stained by the smoke of my cigar

I don't care if it rains or freezes
'Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Through my trials and tribulations
And my travels through the nations
With my plastic Jesus I'll go far

Great Movie!!--And a song I'm going to go play in just a minute...sounds like a CDG number if I ever heard one.
Trivia:  Why did paul newman get thrown in prison to beging with?

CFG, actually.

I IV V, just like all the other songs in the world.

23 (edited by arkady 2007-11-24 10:08:52)

25Frankster I believe it was damaging public propriety. Namely cutting the tops of parking meters. Great film one Paul Newmans best ( I must agree with Jerome there smile ). The Book by  Donn Pearce is great to.
Ark

Double bonus points for ark!  Great movie.
And thanx for the CFG call Jerome...we should start a CFG thread--list all the songs we can think of with that progression.

I have never been to a church that did not have music. I mean, I'm in the band. I'm the guitarist (du) Well I must say people at my church a crazy. I know them I'm aloud to say that. At my church there is a big room with the lights dimmed and a big rocken band with people dancing every where.

Lets go melt some faces!!!!