Topic: Your Attention Getter

Was at gig on Friday where the first act came on and played the Terminator theme before breaking into 'Teenage Kicks', blieve you me the staccato drums and droning guitar get's people looking. I was reminded how bands need something to get the crowd's attention, like Elvis used to take the stage to 'Also Sprach Zarathusa'.

What would you play to get a crowded club facing your way?

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Re: Your Attention Getter

Start big, finish big, always leave them wanting more.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Good Question Cyntania - I would have like - air raid sirens sounding - and then gun shots going off -  and then police sirens - and then yelling - and then the bass would start - thumpa thumpa thump and then drums - And then I would come in on my ukele - oops sorry I mean my Gibson SG -Distorted to the max - playing triplets and tapping in succession - that could do it.

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"

big signature riff that i love would be my opener heavy distortion on my sg and a steady thump on the drums while the lead guitar breaks out

So Red Delicious

Mine is  diversity and no limits(almost) on genres.

I'll go from AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" to Avril Lavinges' "Complicated" to Childrens TV Themes, "Sesame Street, Scooby Doo, Sponge Bob" to Led Zeppelins'"Your Time is Gonna Come". Get the picture?

Don't allow an audience tobe able to catagorize you as a performer. That's my aim.

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I'll go from AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" to Avril Lavinges' "Complicated" to Childrens TV Themes, "Sesame Street, Scooby Doo, Sponge Bob" to Led Zeppelins'"Your Time is Gonna Come". Get the picture?

Don't allow an audience tobe able to catagorize you as a performer. That's my aim.

Nothing wrong with being categorized, IMO.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

SGinCYQX wrote:
SouthPaw41L wrote:

So that's your attention getter, Being catagorized ?

Give everything but up.

When my band Southern Country was still playing, we'd start of with the distorted shuffle-strum of Keep Your Hands to Yourself and end with Freebird.

SouthPaw41L wrote:
SGinCYQX wrote:
SouthPaw41L wrote:

So that's your attention getter, Being catagorized ?

No, and the sarcasm is not nessecary. A certain type of group plays a certain style of music. That's normal. I fail to see how you develop your own style without being "categorized", as you put it.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

10 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2007-12-15 07:40:33)

Dear SGinCYQX,

You develop a style all your own. It's called being unique. And sarcasm was not my intent, your reply was unclear to me. My approach works for me, it obviously does't sit well with you but that's perfectly fine. We're all different and that's what spins the world 'round, to each his own. So what is your attention getter anyways?

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L(Full-Time Working Musician)

Give everything but up.

Drummer counts in, that's it. We're not even close to good enough to open on something big, so we keep it simple.

The stuff you play has a huge variety, and that's cool. If I remember right, you play everything yourself, using a looper, right? Very impressive. We keep it to one style because that's what the demographic we target is, and because we play tuned down half a step and none of us want to bring spare guitars for other styles. We're categorized as a punk band and we're fine with that.

-Jimi Hendrix.

In one of my old bands I used to play Ode To Joy as an intro to a punk verson of I Fought The Law.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

SGinCYQX wrote:

Drummer counts in, that's it. We're not even close to good enough to open on something big, so we keep it simple.

The stuff you play has a huge variety, and that's cool. If I remember right, you play everything yourself, using a looper, right? Very impressive. We keep it to one style because that's what the demographic we target is, and because we play tuned down half a step and none of us want to bring spare guitars for other styles. We're categorized as a punk band and we're fine with that.

You are always your worst critic and I'm sure you're better than you say. "Something big" is only a matter of relativeness. Thanks for the looping compliment and yes youare right about me and new best buddy, my loop. He's never late for a gig, never argues with my song selection, doesn't get mad at me when I play wrong notes, and best of all works for cheap! Best of luck to you and your Punk Rock band, I love me some Ramones and Sex Pistols.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

I think it may be time to add some Ramones into the list. We're mostly newer punk but I can get the others to agree to that I think.

-Jimi Hendrix.

Hi, SG - is it ironic that your music is categorized as Punk but your signature is a quote from The Corrs?

lol

I'm the son of rage and love

16 (edited by SGinCYQX 2007-12-18 20:24:49)

I'm a bluesman. Punk is just easier to market big_smile

-Jimi Hendrix.

cool

I'm the son of rage and love