Topic: smoke on the water most famous rock song ever?

smoke on the water is the most famous rock song ever

Re: smoke on the water most famous rock song ever?

is it?

I would say it is up there in the top 10 MAYBE. but not the most famous I wouldnt have thought, not when you have other songs like

Stairway to heaven....led Zep

Paranoid...................Sabbath

Bohemian Rhapsody....Queen  ( voted best song year after year by Virgin radio listeners as well as magazine polls

my generation..........the who

satisfaction..............Rolling stones

I would say all these rock songs are more commonly known than smoke on the water. It is a good song though.

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

In a recent VH1 listeners poll Bob Dylan's "Like A Rollin' Stone" was voted the greatest song of all time. I'd have to put "Smoke on the Water" way up there myself but there's no way I could ever take a stand and declare the most famous rock song ever. Just a few tunes that I really dig and feel were very influencial;

Purple Haze-Jimi Hendrix

Let It Be-Beatles

You Can't Always Get What You Want-Rolling Stones

Blue Sky-Allman Brothers

Ace of Spades-Motorhead

Runnin' With The Devil-Van Halen

Highway to Hell-AC/DC

Ther's a bazillion more, these are simply the ones that come to mind in the here and right now.

Give everything but up.

i just say that as i knew how the song went be4 iknew what it was called!

Freebird!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

It is probably one of the most recognisable intros. I am a huge deep purple fan, but I don't put this on number 1.
Like upyerkilt writes, Bohemian Rhapsody. This is a complex song combining almost "classic music" hard rock, ballads all in 1 song.
The best song is it the best sold song? It is subjective. Is it the most recognisable song?
Difficult.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

i think it makes the top 10 list, dont know about number one. what about highway to hell, free bird, crazy train, purple haze????
i knew the song before i knew what it was called too.... i think its the intro. more people know the intro than the song.

All You Need is Love smile

Not the most famous rock song, just the most overplayed by guitarists

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

If you want to take about "famous" as in the literal sense of the word, well-known, I'd probably go with FreeBird or Stairway to Heaven. Just my $0.02

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

it seems to me that everyone who picks up a guitar, (weather they stick with it or not) they always somehow learn Smoke on the water, Stairway, or Crazy Train. and only the freaking intro. anyone else bothered by that??

as far as " famous" I think its got to be stairway or freebird. they have gotten so famous they have been played to death over and over and over......

To be the Best you must first understand the Best
To understand the Best you must become the Best
When you become the Best I Wonder....
Who will become better than You?

I can't stop thinking about this topic and answers. It is, for me a strong song, but like, UYK wrote it is in my top 20 of best rock songs. It is little bit difficult to name only ONE song like "SMOKE ON THE WATER." You can think what you want, is this song for YOU the best song, and as I wrote already, in the early seventies (1970-1974), I was a huge fan of 3 different groups.
- DEEP PURPLE
- LED ZEPPELIN
- CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL
Later I added PINK FLOYD on my list.
About Deep Purple: Smoke on the Water was maybe one of the most popular song, but I don't see CHILD IN TIME??Also here I am not telling that this was their best song. I prefer "Woman from Tokyo" and my personal favourite is HIGHWAY STAR

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

These are just my favorite songs.
1.Famous last words - My Chemicle Romance
2.Back in Black-AC/DC
3.American Idiot-Green Day (dont like the lyrics to this song but the guitaris SICK!)
4.Holiday-Greenday
5.My way home is through you-My Chemicle Romance
6.Sweet Home Alabama-Lynyrd Skynyrd
7.Highway to hell-AC/DC
8.You shook me all night long-AC/DC
9.Welcome to the Black Parade-My Chemicle Romance
10.smoke on the water-Deep Purple

u like a lot of punk music.me too!

Probably not, but the main reason that everybody knows it is cause it's so easy to play. Its definitely one of the top ten.

1. Sweet Home Alabama
2. Born to be Wild
3. Hotel California
4. Smoke on the Water

The Bane of Souls is here and I am not amused.

" Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" -- AC/DC.

one caper after another